Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Future Possible Scenario: Running Back Situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Future Possible Scenario: Running Back Situation Reply with quote

If you haven't found out yet, BP is a flat out monster!

Call me crazy but I think I might've caught on to something...

BP is going to only get beastlier (idk if that's a real word but oh well, you get the point). Every week he's showing he can flat out ball. I could see a scenario in BP getting traded. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty positive this upcoming running back class this year isn't very impressive to say the least. I think we could snatch a 2nd for him...easily.

^ That's kind of a long shot to happen (doubt we trade BP this earlier) but on to something more realistic.

When BP's rookie contract comes up 3-4 years from now, he's gonna want big bucks (I would think because I'm sure 3-4 years from now Rice and Pierce will be the best duo of backs BY FAR). My question is do we give the keys to Pierce and let Rice walk? Do we keep two high contract running backs on the roster? Or try to trade him before then...(if possible)

I think worst case scenario is letting BP hit the market without getting anything in return for him.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he keeps balling like this, Ray Rice might get the Priest Holmes treatment. I must say I didn't like the BP pick and I still don't believe this is who the Ravens wanted with that pick, but he's proving to be worth more and a beast. Just hope he keeps it up and helps ride us to a Superbowl starting this year!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to durability. I'm not convinced that Oil Slick has a running style that will be good for longevity in the NFL. I think his style is very smooth, but he finishes runs so violently. Not many RBs can maintain that kind of playing style and be healthy.

Priest Holmes was mentioned above and he's someone that had a similar running philosophy to Pierce. And his career wasn't as long as he'd have liked.

I was huge on the Pierce pick from the start, but he's going to have to learn to tone certain aspects of his game down. Hurdling defenders being one of them. Adrian Peterson even learned to be a little smarter with his body as time has gone along.

Now if Pierce is able to remain durable, like I said a bit earlier in the season... I think Rice will be pushing 30 at that point and in a similar fashion to Jacksonville we should keep him on the team... he'd flip roles with Pierce as he becomes less and less effective (similar to Fred Taylor/MJD). Because of Rice's skillset, even as he ages, his agility should allow him to still be at worse a Kevin Faulk sort of 3rd down back. And that's a very effective trait to have in today's NFL. So in a few years, we could resign Pierce for a good deal and retain Rice for a couple years after in the twilight of his playing career.

That being said, my inkling ATM is that Pierce playing style will leave him slightly damaged goods after 4 years... to the point where we might want to think about moving him for picks and investing other resources into the draft, while retaining Rice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes been very good. I've been watching this guy since he was in temple(friend goes there), and honestly this doesn't surprise me at all. I know a lot of Raven fans hated the pick, but I liked it. If the team gets an OC who knows how to utilize 2 good running backs, we'll have a dominant run game.

With all that being said though, the people saying hes creeping up on Rice, just stop it.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierce has looked really good and I am super impressed with him. He should be quite the asset going forward. I certainly would not ditch him for a second now.

That said, let's not be the kajillionth fan base to think a young back thriving with limited touches can fill the shoes of the star we already have carrying our offense. What's Ben Tate doing right now?

Rice is the guy that opposing defenses are studying in the film room and setting their defenses up to stop all week.

If BP is still thriving in 4 years with all the tape and hits accumulated, then we are super lucky and have a very good problem to deal with.
ravens5520

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a rookie and we have talk about trading him? Lets bring this up in 2014 offseason. Give him a full offseason and sophomore season to see what he really provides us. I think he is something we keep for this team, but that's me. Great rushing games in the nfl comes with a durable tandem. Pierce provides that for us

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: