Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question on Offsides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGame316

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Question on Offsides Reply with quote

Quick Question

Why isn't it offsides when the line is in formation and then they all standup and look back at the Quarterback during an audible, Same thing when the Center turns his head and looks back at the Quarterback

Isn't it all motion by the line, and whats the difference?
htfryar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Offsides Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
Quick Question

Why isn't it offsides when the line is in formation and then they all standup and look back at the Quarterback during an audible, Same thing when the Center turns his head and looks back at the Quarterback

It wouldn't be offsides. More like a false start. The reason it isn't a penalty, is the motion that they make does not simulate the start of the play.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to do with a player establishing "set" position.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
TheGame316

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Offsides Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
TheGame316 wrote:
Quick Question

It wouldn't be offsides. More like a false start. The reason it isn't a penalty, is the motion that they make does not simulate the start of the play.

Ya, Youre right, I meant False Start.... Sometimes though, the entire line is set, then the center whips his head around to talk to the QB, I wonder why if a D-Lineman jumped, they wouldn't be entitled to a penalty on the O-Line for motion
htfryar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Offsides Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
TheGame316 wrote:
Quick Question

Ya, Youre right, I meant False Start.... Sometimes though, the entire line is set, then the center whips his head around to talk to the QB, I wonder why if a D-Lineman jumped, they wouldn't be entitled to a penalty on the O-Line for motion

Because the C has established a set position and has not moved the ball, while turning to chitchat with the QB. If in the process of turning, he moved the ball a little bit, the opposing team could tee off on him. Like WH said, it is all about establishing a set position. Once set, as long as they don't do anything to simulate the start of the play, there is no penalty.

Homer Simpson wrote:
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have to be in a 3 point stance i believe.
htfryar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDsportsfan wrote:
They have to be in a 3 point stance i believe.

Not on a pass play. They cna be in a 2 point stance and only turn their upper body. As long as they don't make a move that simulates the start of the play, they can turn and point and call out blocking assignments.

Homer Simpson wrote:
TheGame316

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just when they stand up out of their stance and the defense rushes, its a false start, but if they stand up and turn and look at the QB and the defense doesn't jump then its not a false start

From my couch, it all looks the same to me, the oline once set, should have to remain still, regardless of audibles or whatever
TVScout

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be because they moved backward instead of forward. Or maybe because the refs won't call neutral zone infractions anymore. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: