Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.7.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dubyajay


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1699
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.


So which receiver are you going to cut to place him on the roster? Not a great idea.


Hester wouldn't play WR for us. He would be an exclusive RS. And TT and MM have demonstrated a willingness to be unorthodox in their cuts in the past, it doesn't have to be WR.

But even if it were, my scenario has us not resigning Jennings and DD, and then drafting Hopkins, that leaves one spot...


Even if he is 5th or 6th on the depth chart, he is still considered a receiver and by definition you are taking him at that position over someone else (albeit a FA after the draft or whatever). You said yourself- he isn't what he once was- and he isn't.

So, again, if you're not taking him as a dynamic ST'er, why is he on our roster? He is a terrible WR. His only true value is as a returner- and those days, IMO, are gone as well.

If you are going to shelve Cobb for someone to return kicks- he had either be, a) better than Cobb, or b) close to his ability returning- and offer something else, be it WR, CB, etc. Hester may fit A, but he doesn't fit B in my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daintrain28


FF Fanatic

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 19626
Location: Bettendorf, Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.


So which receiver are you going to cut to place him on the roster? Not a great idea.


Hester wouldn't play WR for us. He would be an exclusive RS. And TT and MM have demonstrated a willingness to be unorthodox in their cuts in the past, it doesn't have to be WR.

But even if it were, my scenario has us not resigning Jennings and DD, and then drafting Hopkins, that leaves one spot...


Even if he is 5th or 6th on the depth chart, he is still considered a receiver and by definition you are taking him at that position over someone else (albeit a FA after the draft or whatever). You said yourself- he isn't what he once was- and he isn't.

So, again, if you're not taking him as a dynamic ST'er, why is he on our roster? He is a terrible WR. His only true value is as a returner- and those days, IMO, are gone as well.

If you are going to shelve Cobb for someone to return kicks- he had either be, a) better than Cobb, or b) close to his ability returning- and offer something else, be it WR, CB, etc. Hester may fit A, but he doesn't fit B in my opinion.


When I said he isn't what he once was, I meant he is no longer playing at a level indicative of the greatest return man in NFL history, that doesn't mean he can no longer be a dynamic return guy. Hester at 75% of what he once was is still better than most return guys in the NFL.
_________________

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Terranimal


Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 256
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.


Sorry, gone for 4 days myself and catching up at both sites.....

IMO, you have Hopkins and Williams way low. And yes have seen both going on Mocks as possible 1st rounders and no later than mid second rounders. Just two places for example are Walters and Rob Rang on CBS.

And while would have no problem with Hopkins, still like two WRs over him: Patterson and Rogers on talent levels. But that's just mo.....Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 789
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.


I have not seen enough of Thomas to determine if he could play LT or not. I think he for sure would be a good G/RT swing guy. If he can play LT then there is value in a guy that can play 4 OL spots, but for me and the line we have, that guy is not right to take in the first.

As for the second part, I have not seen anything from Lang that has indicated he is not going to be our guard moving forward for the next 3-5 years. He played solid last year, earned a contract extension, and has played solid this year when you consider the injuries and shuffling he has done, not to mention the injuries the rest of the line has suffered. I do not think the staff thinks Lang is needs to be upgraded. Again, I like Thomas and his versatility, but I do not see him as a good value pick in the first. If we had someone that was on their way out the door, like when we picked Bulaga knowing Clifton/Tauscher were both done very soon, then I could live with the pick a little better. However, when you have two guards that are essentially entering the prime part of their careers and a RT in the same spot, assuming he is back 100%, a guy like Thomas in the 1st does not seem like good value.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duxrule


Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 3192
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe how many people are including the word "need" in their replys. Have you not noticed that TT does not draft around need, for the most part. He won't pass on a guy that is an OG just because he's never played OT before. If he thinks he has an athlete at that position, he'll take the guy if hes a scheme/Packer fit.

Dtrain....I respect you so much, then you go and reach for a 30+ year old kick returner? First of all, you know Teds going to end up with MORE picks, not fewer, by draft day. He'll take a WR/Returner in there somewhere in the 10 picks he ends up with.
_________________
Global Warming.....ya....right...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 789
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duxrule wrote:
I can't believe how many people are including the word "need" in their replys. Have you not noticed that TT does not draft around need, for the most part. He won't pass on a guy that is an OG just because he's never played OT before. If he thinks he has an athlete at that position, he'll take the guy if hes a scheme/Packer fit.


I agree that TT has shown a BPA draft approach, but he has mentioned in several interviews that his BPAs are kind of grouped together, meaning players 1-5 are all the same/similar value, and then from there he will look at the need. With that said, he will not take a position because we have a hole there. Obviously I think that TT does have some exceptions, like if a QB this year is the BPA he will not take the QB with Rodgers still in his prime.

I agree that he will not pass on a OG just because he has not played OT, but he might value that guy much less then someone that has played both or has the skill set to transfer easily.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackFan4Life


Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Posts: 4094
Location: De Pere, WI
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
duxrule wrote:
I can't believe how many people are including the word "need" in their replys. Have you not noticed that TT does not draft around need, for the most part. He won't pass on a guy that is an OG just because he's never played OT before. If he thinks he has an athlete at that position, he'll take the guy if hes a scheme/Packer fit.


I agree that TT has shown a BPA draft approach, but he has mentioned in several interviews that his BPAs are kind of grouped together, meaning players 1-5 are all the same/similar value, and then from there he will look at the need. With that said, he will not take a position because we have a hole there. Obviously I think that TT does have some exceptions, like if a QB this year is the BPA he will not take the QB with Rodgers still in his prime.

I agree that he will not pass on a OG just because he has not played OT, but he might value that guy much less then someone that has played both or has the skill set to transfer easily.


Maybe not in round 1, but if he sees a QB he likes in Round 2, I do not think he will shy away from making that pick. The weakest position on this team is probably the back up QB. Just saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7137
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that don't know, Dallas Thomas was Tennessee's LT, and a darn good one. He moved to LG so they could have the best OLine possible (Their backup LT was better than their starting LG, so Thomas took over LG and the LT became a starter). He wasn't moved because he was bad at LT or anything of the like. If he stayed at LT, he could be in talks for 1st round talk most likely simply because of value. I'm sure plenty of teams are discussing that anyway and will want him to work out at LT instead of LG for them.
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 789
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
duxrule wrote:
I can't believe how many people are including the word "need" in their replys. Have you not noticed that TT does not draft around need, for the most part. He won't pass on a guy that is an OG just because he's never played OT before. If he thinks he has an athlete at that position, he'll take the guy if hes a scheme/Packer fit.


I agree that TT has shown a BPA draft approach, but he has mentioned in several interviews that his BPAs are kind of grouped together, meaning players 1-5 are all the same/similar value, and then from there he will look at the need. With that said, he will not take a position because we have a hole there. Obviously I think that TT does have some exceptions, like if a QB this year is the BPA he will not take the QB with Rodgers still in his prime.

I agree that he will not pass on a OG just because he has not played OT, but he might value that guy much less then someone that has played both or has the skill set to transfer easily.


Maybe not in round 1, but if he sees a QB he likes in Round 2, I do not think he will shy away from making that pick. The weakest position on this team is probably the back up QB. Just saying.


I agree, if there is a quality second round quarterback TT could pull the trigger, but I think he will pass in the 1st. Even the second he might be hesitant, but not nearly as much as the first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 789
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
For those that don't know, Dallas Thomas was Tennessee's LT, and a darn good one. He moved to LG so they could have the best OLine possible (Their backup LT was better than their starting LG, so Thomas took over LG and the LT became a starter). He wasn't moved because he was bad at LT or anything of the like. If he stayed at LT, he could be in talks for 1st round talk most likely simply because of value. I'm sure plenty of teams are discussing that anyway and will want him to work out at LT instead of LG for them.


I agree that he might be able to play LT, and he did a fine job at Tennessee when he played LT, but I do not think it is a guarantee that he can play LT. I think looking at his body frame and play from this year he looks like a better guard prospect then a LT prospect. Again, I do not want to dismiss him as a LT prospect because even though he may seem like a better guard it does not mean he cannot be a solid LT (thinking a similar situation as Cordy Glenn, where many projected him as a better guard, but has played LT at Buffalo). Either way if he has the ability to play LT it does not change my stance on his value in the first round, unless something is off with Sherrod's recovery. Even if for arguments sake you say he can be an effective LT, equivalent/a little better than Newhouse, I still do not see a first round value for him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7137
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
For those that don't know, Dallas Thomas was Tennessee's LT, and a darn good one. He moved to LG so they could have the best OLine possible (Their backup LT was better than their starting LG, so Thomas took over LG and the LT became a starter). He wasn't moved because he was bad at LT or anything of the like. If he stayed at LT, he could be in talks for 1st round talk most likely simply because of value. I'm sure plenty of teams are discussing that anyway and will want him to work out at LT instead of LG for them.


I agree that he might be able to play LT, and he did a fine job at Tennessee when he played LT, but I do not think it is a guarantee that he can play LT. I think looking at his body frame and play from this year he looks like a better guard prospect then a LT prospect. Again, I do not want to dismiss him as a LT prospect because even though he may seem like a better guard it does not mean he cannot be a solid LT (thinking a similar situation as Cordy Glenn, where many projected him as a better guard, but has played LT at Buffalo). Either way if he has the ability to play LT it does not change my stance on his value in the first round, unless something is off with Sherrod's recovery. Even if for arguments sake you say he can be an effective LT, equivalent/a little better than Newhouse, I still do not see a first round value for him.


Agree on the 1st round selection. However, if he happens to be around for our 2nd, I snatch him up.
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 789
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
For those that don't know, Dallas Thomas was Tennessee's LT, and a darn good one. He moved to LG so they could have the best OLine possible (Their backup LT was better than their starting LG, so Thomas took over LG and the LT became a starter). He wasn't moved because he was bad at LT or anything of the like. If he stayed at LT, he could be in talks for 1st round talk most likely simply because of value. I'm sure plenty of teams are discussing that anyway and will want him to work out at LT instead of LG for them.


I agree that he might be able to play LT, and he did a fine job at Tennessee when he played LT, but I do not think it is a guarantee that he can play LT. I think looking at his body frame and play from this year he looks like a better guard prospect then a LT prospect. Again, I do not want to dismiss him as a LT prospect because even though he may seem like a better guard it does not mean he cannot be a solid LT (thinking a similar situation as Cordy Glenn, where many projected him as a better guard, but has played LT at Buffalo). Either way if he has the ability to play LT it does not change my stance on his value in the first round, unless something is off with Sherrod's recovery. Even if for arguments sake you say he can be an effective LT, equivalent/a little better than Newhouse, I still do not see a first round value for him.


Agree on the 1st round selection. However, if he happens to be around for our 2nd, I snatch him up.


The second round is a much different story for me too. I would snatch him up too, pending on who else was available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChaRisMa


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 7146
Location: @_G_Tom
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm comfortable with Dallas Thomas or Barrett Jones. Probably 1A and 1B for me right now. Just someone that completely shores up the offensive line with versatility. I'm counting any future production from Sherrod as a bonus.

Killing me with WR. I love the prospect, but I think we're shifting the offense a bit more towards the run and a back that compliments Alex Green's third down ability is where I want to go.

Jesse Williams at 89 would be a great big body to add and I can see him being there with the depth at that position.


No problem with Jackson or Benavides--both could end up starting. I'm standing by Crosby too, and your missing picks and Woodson is still too deeply rooted in my heart to give up on him.

Overall, I'd be pumped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group