Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.7.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
daintrain28


FF Fanatic

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 19665
Location: Bettendorf, Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.7.0 Reply with quote

[Scenario:
~Green Bay finishes the season 12-4
~We win the Wildcard Round of the playoffs, before being defeated by the San Francisco 49ers in the Divisional Round
~We are awarded the 25th pick
~We are awarded a 4th round compensatory pick for Matt Flynn

Released/Not resigned/Retired:
~Charles Woodson
~Greg Jennings
~Cedric Benson
~Donald Driver
~Jeff Saturday

Resigned:
~Sam Shields


~Erik Walden


~Tom Crabtree


Free Agency:
~Devin Hester KR/PR Chicago Bears


I listen to a lot of Chicago talk radio, they all say it's a lock that Hester gets cut after the season and will get a moderate-to-low contract next year.

With Cobb's increase importance to our offense we really need another return man. Respectfully, Hester is an upgrade to even Cobb.

The Draft:
With the 25th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Dallas Thomas G/OT Tennessee
6’5” 310 lbs. 5.15/40


I know everyone wants Barrett Jones or Jonathan Cooper. Jones may be off the board by the time we select, and respectfully, Thomas may be a better player than Cooper. He has similar speed and athleticism with greater upper body strength. Thomas is a darn fine OL prospect. Playing in the SCC, he goes up against elite pass rushers and has more than held his own.

I think EDS may prove to be a darn fine C, and I also think that upgrades are needed all along the OL. Thomas definitely can play either G or RT, and he might have the footwork to play LT. At whatever position we slot him in at, he could very well be an upgrade.

With the 57th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson
6’1” 200 lbs. 4.40


Oh man! Start salivating Packer fans. This guy is unbelivably undervalued. Thrust into the #1 WR role due to suspension, he did not disappoint. He is fast, big, gets great YAC, and an even better deep threat.

This is the guy to replace Jennings and Driver.

With the 89th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Jesse Williams DT Alabama
6’4” 320 lbs. 5.35/40


Diamond in the rough if there ever was one. Williams is Australian born and didn’t start playing football until he was 15. He is VERY raw, but he has a great motor and is a relentless pass rush force, plus he has a big body and can play both the LDE and RDE in Capers’ scheme.

With the 125th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Andrew Jackson ILB Western Kentucky
6’1” 265 lbs. 4.72/40


An undervalued tackling machine at ILB and a guy whose small school status leaves him overlooked, but that guy is a tackling machine. Held his own against powerhouses like Florida or Alabama, Jackson is like a bigger, thicker DJ Smith IMHO.

With the 134th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Mario Benavides C Louisville
6’4” 300 lbs. 5.15/40


Good value pick in Round 4. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that EDS will be the future at C, but we still depth behind him. Benavides is a solid player with the athleticism to play in a ZBS, but unlike most ZBS prospects he is not lacking in upper body strength.

With the 210th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Dustin Hopkins K Florida State
6’2” 190 lbs.


Consistent 75% FG kicker in college has hit beyond 50 yards several times throughout his career. A good prospect to challenge Crosby for his starting job.
_________________

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
daintrain28


FF Fanatic

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 19665
Location: Bettendorf, Iowa
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

275 views and not a single comment? I know, it's perfect, right? Wink
_________________

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7326
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you're missing two rounds. You have us making 6 picks, but getting 8 with comps and no trades listed.

No thanks to Hester. He's not nearly as dangerous as he used to be.

I like Thomas. No opinion on Hopkins. Williams is a guy who probably won't be there in the third. Probably a 1st to 2nd round guy. Benavides is eh. I think if we take interior depth, we take a G/C type, not a C only guy. More likely a T/G in college who we think can play center.
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNPackfan32


Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 8255
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the Hester signing, wasted roster spot IMO. I don't like the Thomas pick, I can't see him playing center and I don't see him beating out Sherrod, Lang, Sitton, or Bulaga. That's about 20 spots too soon for Hopkins for my liking I think he runs closer to a 4.55 than a 4.40, he certainly doesn't play at a 4.40 level IMO. I really don't think Williams lasts anywhere close to that spot. I like taking a kicker late.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3736
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.7.0 Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
275 views and not a single comment? I know, it's perfect, right? Wink


My board has a few guys about a round higher, but I've seen better get pushed farther, didn't really feel like commenting

Would rather get a WILB than SILB (Jackson)
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.


Last edited by HyponGrey on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 807
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how I feel about Thomas and the fit. I really do not seeing him taking Lang's or Sitton's spot at guard, nor do I see him beating out Bulaga for RT. if we move Bulaga to LT, which I do not think will happen and the staff has been adamant about him being the RT, then Thomas has a little better fit. Otherwise I do not see him being anything besides a versatile backup for G or RT. I think those players are valuable, but not 1st round pick guy. I like Thomas and think he is talented, just do not see a lineman in the 1st we would take that cannot play C.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3736
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about Thomas and the fit. I really do not seeing him taking Lang's or Sitton's spot at guard, nor do I see him beating out Bulaga for RT. if we move Bulaga to LT, which I do not think will happen and the staff has been adamant about him being the RT, then Thomas has a little better fit. Otherwise I do not see him being anything besides a versatile backup for G or RT. I think those players are valuable, but not 1st round pick guy. I like Thomas and think he is talented, just do not see a lineman in the 1st we would take that cannot play C.
I'm not sure Thomas doesn't have the ability to play LT. Though I'm against taking a LT in the 1st. I agree that Center would be the only OL position I'd take in the first with other pressing needs creating value.
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cheesehead430


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 14919
Location: 414/813
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you swapped Thomas with Barrett Jones this might be a A+ mock...
Great work I love it.
_________________
Go Pack Go...
*Jaboo Tracker*
237/349, 67.9 comp%, 3,820 yards, 38 TD's, 10 INT's
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 807
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about Thomas and the fit. I really do not seeing him taking Lang's or Sitton's spot at guard, nor do I see him beating out Bulaga for RT. if we move Bulaga to LT, which I do not think will happen and the staff has been adamant about him being the RT, then Thomas has a little better fit. Otherwise I do not see him being anything besides a versatile backup for G or RT. I think those players are valuable, but not 1st round pick guy. I like Thomas and think he is talented, just do not see a lineman in the 1st we would take that cannot play C.
I'm not sure Thomas doesn't have the ability to play LT. Though I'm against taking a LT in the 1st. I agree that Center would be the only OL position I'd take in the first with other pressing needs creating value.


I agree, unless there is an unexpected turn and Sherrod cannot come back (or the team feels unsafe about him based on offseason workouts), I feel LT is not a 1st round priority.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13518
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think Dallas Thomas is a sleeper at G but at #25 Shocked I'm not even sure the dude can play LT in the NFL TBH. I project him at RT/OG but what do I know Laughing Haven't honestly seen that much of him in 2012.

Hopkins=


Jesse Williams/Andrew Jackson=


Bene is meh

A KICKER!!!!
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
daintrain28


FF Fanatic

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 19665
Location: Bettendorf, Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.
_________________

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dubyajay


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1761
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.


So which receiver are you going to cut to place him on the roster? Not a great idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daintrain28


FF Fanatic

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 19665
Location: Bettendorf, Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.


So which receiver are you going to cut to place him on the roster? Not a great idea.


Hester wouldn't play WR for us. He would be an exclusive RS. And TT and MM have demonstrated a willingness to be unorthodox in their cuts in the past, it doesn't have to be WR.

But even if it were, my scenario has us not resigning Jennings and DD, and then drafting Hopkins, that leaves one spot...
_________________

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
byzr


Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 3199
Location: Kentucky
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.


So which receiver are you going to cut to place him on the roster? Not a great idea.


Driver should retire, Jennings is likely gone, and he only has us taking one receiver in the draft so we actually are down 1 WR in his mock. Hester would be very unlikely to see the field at WR for us but i wouldn't mind seeing him take the return load off Cobb.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3736
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
Holy smokes guys, I love spending Christmas with my wife, children and my other family, but this is our first christmas hosting and man is that A LOT of work. I had no idea. Sorry for not checking my comments earlier.

~The thing about Dallas Thomas is he's a more talented and athletic version of Marshall Newhouse. He is insurance in case Derek Sherrod has another set back or worst yet can't get off the IR.
~If Sherrod can go, Thomas can play any position along the OL except C. The notion that he wouldn't take over any of our OL is frankly silly. My prediction would be TJ Lang's days would be numbered at LG. Not immediately but in time.
~I know we all want an upgrade at C, and to be honest I would MUCH prefer Jones, but I am just trying to go with a little variety here. Who knows, maybe Jones is gone by then.
~I can't believe more people aren't salivating over DeAndre Hopkins. Seriously, that kid is a perfect in our offense and would do great things for us. Stud!
~Jesse Williams is a 1st round pick ?!?! Seriously? All the websites I have seen have him listed as a 3rd/4th round pick.
~I understand Hester is no longer the RS he once was, that doesn't mean he couldn't be darn good returning kicks and punts. I think this guy is WAY undervalued right now, and taking Randall Cobb off of return duties IMO is a good idea.
~If we go forward with EDS as our starting C, which isn't a bad idea IMO, then we need a backup. Benavides is raw, but he's not a bad late 4th DP to groom slowly for the position.


So which receiver are you going to cut to place him on the roster? Not a great idea.


Driver should retire, Jennings is likely gone, and he only has us taking one receiver in the draft so we actually are down 1 WR in his mock. Hester would be very unlikely to see the field at WR for us but i wouldn't mind seeing him take the return load off Cobb.

Have Boykin and Ross. Hopkins and Hester make 7. Cool
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group