Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who do you want as HC in 2013?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Person wrote:
Michael Lombardi said on 'Inside the NFL' he thinks Ron Rivera, along w/ Andy Reid and Norv Turner, 'certainly' will be gone on Monday.

That is a tweet from yesterday. Assuming that Rivera is out of here, do we make a strong push for Chip Kelly or do we look elsewhere? I could see us going after coaches from the Coughlin coaching tree if we get Ross.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Joe Person wrote:
Michael Lombardi said on 'Inside the NFL' he thinks Ron Rivera, along w/ Andy Reid and Norv Turner, 'certainly' will be gone on Monday.

That is a tweet from yesterday. Assuming that Rivera is out of here, do we make a strong push for Chip Kelly or do we look elsewhere? I could see us going after coaches from the Coughlin coaching tree if we get Ross.

I think it's all over the board on who we might go with. Anyone from Chip Kelly to Bill Cowher to Mike Zimmer to whoever. I think we first need to see what type of GM we hire, then we will see what type of style he came from to see what we might get in a head coach.

I've heard rumors that JR didn't like the Rivera hiring, but we along with it because he had so much faith in Hurney.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Joe Person wrote:

I think it's all over the board on who we might go with. Anyone from Chip Kelly to Bill Cowher to Mike Zimmer to whoever. I think we first need to see what type of GM we hire, then we will see what type of style he came from to see what we might get in a head coach.

I've heard rumors that JR didn't like the Rivera hiring, but we along with it because he had so much faith in Hurney.

Looks like JR, like the fans, were finally disenchanted with the way the franchise has been going. That is probably why Hurney got the boot in the early part of the season as opposed to the end. Start clean as soon as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivera is gone Dec 31st, even if we do beat the Saints.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we hire Chip Kelly if we hire Marc Ross as a general manager.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are we looking at until we hire a new GM?
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
How long are we looking at until we hire a new GM?

I'm not sure, but I would assume as soon as the season is over for the respective teams that might have candidates we want to interview.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we keep Rivera. I personally think he has done a good job. People need to remember that Rivera took over a very bad team with cap problems and a bunch of holes in the roster.

If we win this weekend then the Panthers will have improved from
2-14 to 6-10 to 7-9, so to me that is an improving team. Plus Hurney signed a bunch of bad contracts and he kept trading our draft picks away. He traded our 2009 first to move up and get Otah in 08. If we had that 09 pick we could have drafted someone like Brian Orakpo - Brian Cushing - Percy Harvin - Michael Oher - Clay Matthews or Hakee Nicks.
Then he traded our 2010 first rounder to move up to the 2nd round of the 09 draft for Everett Brown and that pick could have been used on Demaryius Thomas - Dez Bryant - Dan Williams - Mike Iupati or Devin McCourty.

Well I think I just rambled enough so I guess my point is I hope we keep Ron, plus I just don't think 2 years is enough time for someone to turn a 2 - 14 team with a bad GM around.
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbegley8 wrote:
I hope we keep Rivera. I personally think he has done a good job. People need to remember that Rivera took over a very bad team with cap problems and a bunch of holes in the roster.

2-14 to 6-10 to 7-9, so to me that is an improving team. Plus Hurney signed a bunch of bad contracts and he kept trading our draft picks away. He traded our 2009 first to move up and get Otah in 08. If we had that 09 pick we could have drafted someone like Brian Orakpo - Brian Cushing - Percy Harvin - Michael Oher - Clay Matthews or Hakee Nicks.
Then he traded our 2010 first rounder to move up to the 2nd round of the 09 draft for Everett Brown and that pick could have been used on Demaryius Thomas - Dez Bryant - Dan Williams - Mike Iupati or Devin McCourty.

Well I think I just rambled enough so I guess my point is I hope we keep Ron, plus I just don't think 2 years is enough time for someone to turn a 2 - 14 team with a bad GM around.

While I do agree, had we gotten those draft picks in the form of an actual player, we are better from a personnel perspective. Maybe a combination of Oher/Thomas or Nicks/Williams would have changed some of the outlook of this team.

However, look back on some of the coaching mistakes this year. Playing soft D to allow Chicago to march down the field and tie, multiple failed halftime adjustments that led to teams coming back on us, continual use of the spread option when it does not work, horrid special team performances.

We are good enough on talent alone to be in games, good coaching can get us over the hump. That comes down to adjustments, playcalling, and managing personnel correctly. People forget, but there is still a lot of guys on this team that took us to the playoffs in the 2008/09 season and now we have an improved QB.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbegley8 wrote:

We have not improved from last year, we are just getting meaningless wins again.

If we fire Rivera, the problem with getting a GM first is we might miss a HC candidate as he may get hired before us getting a GM. We may need to get a coach before finalizing a GM.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Moody

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
jbegley8 wrote:

We have not improved from last year, we are just getting meaningless wins again.

If we fire Rivera, the problem with getting a GM first is we might miss a HC candidate as he may get hired before us getting a GM. We may need to get a coach before finalizing a GM.

They're far better than last year despite a similar record.

The defense went from bottom of the league to top ten even with all the injuries to the secondary.

The offense dropped a bit, but with a healthier offensive line and Cam's progress I don't think anyone's worried.

There are anecdotes for any decision you support. Like, Pete Carroll went 7-9 twice before this year. Or, Mike Singleterry giving the reigns to Harbaugh.
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you guize be interested in Bruce Arians?

He has a nice history of developing promising young QBs; Manning, Roethlisberger, now Luck. He could possibly do well with Cam Newton.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:

He has a nice history of developing promising young QBs; Manning, Roethlisberger, now Luck. He could possibly do well with Cam Newton.

I wouldn't mind giving him a look. He definitely did well this year as an interim head coach.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Tom Shean wrote:

I wouldn't mind giving him a look. He definitely did well this year as an interim head coach.

If we're going the "QB Development" route, Arians and Mike McCoy are the 2 guys I like. McCoy has been incredibly versatile, working with QB's from Tim Tebow to Peyton Manning, and designing offenses around them, and Arians, as mentioned, has a great history of QB development.
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
boondock wrote:
Tom Shean wrote:

If we're going the "QB Development" route, Arians and Mike McCoy are the 2 guys I like. McCoy has been incredibly versatile, working with QB's from Tim Tebow to Peyton Manning, and designing offenses around them, and Arians, as mentioned, has a great history of QB development.

A coach with a strong background of developing QBs might be a good thing for us and help Cam get to that next level. Even if the coach didn't work out long term, it would be awesome to get Cam to the next level, as a top 5 elite QB. Right now, I have Cam ranked just barely inside the top 10.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Chip is brought up with you guys and the Eagles I thought you'd like this insight into Chip.

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles-2/lets-talk-about-chip-kelly/

You want a QB guy for Cam? Chip is that.

Sig bet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: