Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Green24's Mock to Rebuild the New York Jets (Page 2)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Green24's Mock to Rebuild the New York Jets (Page 2) Reply with quote

This season has been a gigantic disappointment and failure. Rather than improving and becoming better, Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets team has regressed. Sanchez and many others should not be New York Jets any longer. I have gone from being one of his supporters to being someone who would gladly pack his bags and ship him out to any team that would take on his contract.

I have also gone someone who loved our HC-GM combo to someone who would like to see some new blood in both positions. I have been a fan of 4 of Tanny's 7 drafts, but he has made many questionable moves and has not done enough to make up for them. I would not mind seeing him stick arounad in some FA role, but a new man is needed at top.

Much of the same also applies to Rex Ryan. Rex has done some great things for this team, but I believe that a divorce is now needed. I think Rex can still be a good Head Coach and I believe someone should snatch him up immediately. He can have a lot of success with a team, but I do not think that team can be the New York Jets. We need change.

Here is what I think can be done to create a stronger Jets team in 2013 and a team that should continue to improve for many years to come. We have some foundational pieces already in place and it is now time to improve the rest of the team. We need to get younger and better.

The NFL salary cap in 2013 is estimated to be $121M. The Jets have around $5.25M in estimated carryover space. This raises the Jets salary cap to $126.25M. The Jets are currently on the books for around $141.88M in 2013. This leaves us with -15.63 in estimated cap room.

I think that we will finish this season 7-9 and end up with the 14th pick of the draft.

Coaching Changes:
Mike Tannenbaum is fired. Scott Fitterer (Seattle Seahawks Director of College Scouting) is hired as the new General Manager. In his two drafts in that role, Fitterer has helped the Seahawks draft players such as K.J. Wright, Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson. He brings a draft pedigree that Tannenbaum does not have. The draft is what this team needs to be built through.

Rex Ryan is fired. Vic Fangio (San Francisco 49ers Defensive Coordinator) is hired as the new Head Coach. I chose Fangio due to this team's continued emphasis on defense. Many of the top Head Coaches have a defensive background and Fangio. Since taking the job before the 2011 season, Fangio has made the 49ers defense arguably the best in the NFL. I think he can make the Jets defense better than it already is.

Tony Sparano is fired. Geep Chryst (San Francisco 49ers QB Coach) is hired as the new Offensive Coordinator. In his two seasons with the 49ers, he has helped make Alex Smith look somewhat decent and Colin Kaepernick look like one of the best young QBs in the game. He briefly served as the Offensive Coordinator of the San Diego Chargers during the Ryan Leaf Era.

Mike Pettine is hired as the Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Jim Leavitt (San Francisco 49ers LB Coach) is hired as the new Defensive Coordinator. In his two seasons with the 49ers, he has helped the 49ers have the best LB core in the NFL. Leavitt previously spent 13 seasons as the Head Coach of the South Florida Bulls.

Matt Cavanaugh is fired. Chad Pennington (former New York Jets and Miami Dolphins QB) is hired as the new Quarterbacks Coach. Always known as one of the most celebral QBs in the NFL, Pennington returns to his former team to help share his football wisdom. Pennington has worked with Mark Sanchez in the past.

Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini are hired to FO roles.

Cuts:
OLB Calvin Pace ($8.56M saved): Pace is simply over the hill and a subpar player at this point in his career. He is not even worth a quarter of his salary.

ILB Bart Scott ($7.15M saved): See Pace, Calvin.

S Eric Smith ($3M saved): Smith is so bad. I wouldn't even say he's worth 3 dollars.

OT Jason Smith ($12M saved): I like Smith, but not for this much money.

NT Sione Pouha ($3.83M saved): Pouha has regressed this season and is no longer worth his salary.

WR Santonio Holmes ($1.25M saved): He's a cancer, who is a detriment to the team.

Updated cap: $20.16M

Re-Signings and Restructures:
Arrow RFA RT Austin Howard ($.75M tender): Howard has been a major improvement over Wayne Hunter. Worth a second year as the starter.
Arrow RFA LS Tanner Purdum ($.6M tender): Sure.
Arrow RFA TE Jeff Cumberland ($.6M tender): He hasn't been great this year, but we could use some depth at TE.
Arrow UFA TE Dustin Keller (4 years, $20M; $3.5M cap hit): Not having Keller for much of this season has really hurt the team. He is the best receiving option we have on the team.
Arrow UFA S LaRon Landry (4 years, $26M; $5M cap hit): I have been very impressed with Landry. He has been the first good safety that we've had since Kerry Rhodes in his early days.
Arrow UFA DE Mike DeVito (2 years, $2.2M; $1M cap hit): He returns for a smaller role.
Arrow UFA WR Braylon Edwards (1 year, $1M): I would love to see Braylon return for another year.
Arrow UFA K Nick Folk (2 years, $2.5; $1M cap hit): He's not that bad of a kicker.
Arrow OT Jason Smith (2 years, $2.8M; $1M cap hit): He has some potential. It's worth it to keep him around.
Arrow CB Darrelle Revis (7 years, $105M; $7.5M cap hit): This reduces his cap hit by $1.5M. Even though he is coming off of a singificant injury, he is our best player and needs to be re-signed.
Arrow C Nick Mangold ($3M roster bonus converted to a signing bonus): This clears $2.4M in cap space for 2013.
Arrow LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson ($6M of $7.25M base salary for 2013 converted to a signing bonus): This clears $4.8M in cap space for 2013.

Updated cap: $14.41M

Trades:

New York Jets trade:
QB Mark Sanchez
3rd round pick

Seattle Sehawks trade:
QB Matt Flynn
As has become painfully obvious, Sanchez has become a major dissapointment and an awful QB. He is no trade value, but Seattle agrees to take him on in order to acquire a third round pick. We acquire their back-up QB, who was a top FA last offseason. Flynn should start for us for the next to seasons, as he keeps the seat warm for our future QB. He is signed to a 3 year, $19.5M contract. This trade costs Seattle $5M in cap room.
$3M saved

New York Jets trade:
ATH Tim Tebow
Jacksonville Jaguars trade:
7th round pick
Tebow was a failure from the start. Just end the misery now.
$2.59M saved

New York Jets trade:
CB Kyle Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers trade:
4th round pick
Conditional 2014 6th round pick

While Wilson has been serviceable, he has not been the player that he was expected to be when he was taken in the first round of the 2010 draft. The Bucs desperately need help at CB and Wilson can be a starter for them.
$2.83M saved

Updated cap: $19.83M

Free Agency:

DE/OLB Cliff Avril: We haven't had a player get double digit sacks since John Abraham. Signing Avril gives us a very good chance at breaking that streak. We desperately need pass rush from the OLB position. Our two starters at the position have given us a combined 5.5 sacks this season. Avril had exactly double that total last season and is 1.5 sacks from reaching that again this season.
6 years, $60M ($8M cap hit)

OG Andy Levitre: Levitre is one of the best guards in the NFL and a major upgrade over Brandon Moore and Matt Slauson. He can help us return to having one of the best offensive lines in the league.
5 years, $32.5M ($4.5M cap hit)

TE Fred Davis: Davis is coming off of a serious injury and was suspended in 2011, so his FA value should not be very high. He can complement Keller very well.
1 year, $2.2M

RB Bernard Scott: Scott has been a solid #2 back for the Bengals for the past 4 seasons. He missed most of the 2012 season with a torn ACL.
1 year, $1M

FB Jerome Felton: Lex Hilliard has been awful this season. Felton offers us an upgrade at the FB position.
1 year, $0.8M

Updated Cap: $3.33

THE DRAFT

Our picks:
1(14)
2(43)
4 (via Tampa Bay)
7 (via Jacksonville)

Trade:
Jets trade: 1(14); 7th round pick
Ravens trade: 1(25); 2(56); 4th round pick

1(25). WR Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee)
We trade down with Baltimore to select one of the top WRs in this draft. Patterson is 6'3" with elite speed. Patterson reminds me of a taller Torrey Smith. He emerged for Tennessee this season with 10 total TDs. He offers us another young WR to go with recent draft picks Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley. Patterson can be a great weapon for Matt Flynn and our future franchise QB. He also has experience return kicks, averaging close to 27 yards per return this season.

2(43). QB Zac Dysert (Miami (OH))
We (hopefully) acquire our franchise QB. We hoped that Sanchez would be that guy, but he was not. We now hope Dysert can be that guy. Although not everyone here is a fan of Dysert, I believe that he is one of the best QBs in the draft. Dysert reminds many of the last Miami (OH) QB to be drafted this early, Ben Roethlisberger. I don't expect Dysert to be as good as Big Ben, however, I think Dysert can end up being a starting QB. He should sit behind Flynn for two seasons as he makes the large jump from the MAC to the NFL.

Trade:
Jets trade: 2(56); 4th round pick (via TB); 5th round pick
49ers trade: 2(61); 3(75)

2(61). OG Larry Warford (Kentucky)
After signing Andy Levitre in FA, we draft Warford to play opposite him at RG. Levitre and Warford offer a major upgrade over Matt Slauson and Brandon Moore, who have started for us for the past three seasons. While Warford isn't the prospect that Chance Warmack is, I don't think we should take a RG in the first round. The Levitre signing allows us to wait until the end of the second round to address the position.

Trade:
Jets trade: 4th round pick; 4th round pick (via BAL); 2014 6th round pick; RB Joe McKnight
Cardinals trade: 3(68)

3(68). FS D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina)
After signing LaRon Landry to a 4-year extension at SS, we draft Swearinger to play opposite him at FS. Swearinger plays with the same level of intensity that Landry plays with and hits just as hard. This combo will make teams scared to pass the ball across the middle and can go a long way in shutting down the offense of the New England Patriots. Swearinger can play the same role that Dashon Goldson played for Fangio in San Francisco.

3(75). DE/OLB Cornelius "Tank" Carradine (Florida State)
Prior to tearing his ACL in late November, Carradine was one of the top pass rushers in the country and a likely first round pick. If he recovers in time from his injury, he can start opposite Avril this season. This pass rushing combo can be a major upgrade over the previous pairing of Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas.

6th. RB Latavius Murray (Central Florida)
Although he played in the C-USA, Murphy has been a successful college RB who ran for over 1,100 yards this season. Murphy can be a sleeper in this draft class, who can prove to be a late round steal. He will fit in nicely behind Bilal Powell and Bernard Scott on the depth chart.

7th (via JAC). CB Marc Anthony (Cal)
Anthony, the CB not the singer, offers us some depth after trading away Kyle Wilson.

Depth Chart:

QB: Matt Flynn // Greg McElroy // Zac Dysert
RB: Bilal Powell // Bernard Scott // Latavius Murray
FB: Jerome Felton
WR: Stephen Hill // Braylon Edwards // Clyde Gates
TE: Dustin Keller // Fred Davis // Jeff Cumberland // Jeff Baker
LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
LG: Andy Levitre // Vladimir Ducasse
C: Nick Mangold // Caleb Schlauderaff
RG: Larry Warford
RT: Austin Howard // Jason Smith
WR: Cordarrelle Patterson // Jordan White
WR: Jeremy Kerley

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson
NT: Kenrick Ellis // Damon Harrison
DE: Quinton Coples // Mike DeVito
OLB: Cliff Avril // Garrett McIntyre
ILB: David Harris // Marcus Dowtin
ILB: Demario Davis // Nick Bellore
OLB: Cornelius Carradine // Ricky Sapp
CB: Darrelle Revis // Ellis Lankster // Marc Anthony
FS: D.J. Swearinger // Josh Bush
SS: LaRon Landry // Antonio Allen
CB: Antonio Cromartie // Aaron Berry // Donnie Fletcher

K: Nick Folk
P: Robert Malone
KR: Cordarrelle Patterson
PR: Jeremy Kerley

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea

Last edited by green24 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot of this, although you really seem to love the idea of taking everyone from SF.

I have several issues..Cliff Avil has never played 3-4 OLB and you are giving him 10million a year? Hes eclipsed 10 sacks once in his career and "might" do it again this year. Too much money to give us a good but not great pass rusher, no thanks.

Zac Dysert is not a second round pick IMO. I see him going in the 4th round to a team that eyes him as a backup.

If were trading Sanchez for FLynn we should have to give up that high of a pick. Id rather keep Sanchez at that point, we need all the picks we have...after all this is a rebuild mock. Flynn is an unknown. Hes had literally 2 professional starts. Talk about a small sample size. No way is he worth a 3rd round pick if were essentially swapping bad contracts.

I like a lot of you ideas however, and your draft picks, but at the end of the day I want us to trade down when we do trade and draft as many players as possible in round 1-5, not trying to give away unnecessary picks.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
green24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
I like a lot of this, although you really seem to love the idea of taking everyone from SF.

I have several issues..Cliff Avil has never played 3-4 OLB and you are giving him 10million a year? Hes eclipsed 10 sacks once in his career and "might" do it again this year. Too much money to give us a good but not great pass rusher, no thanks.

Zac Dysert is not a second round pick IMO. I see him going in the 4th round to a team that eyes him as a backup.

If were trading Sanchez for FLynn we should have to give up that high of a pick. Id rather keep Sanchez at that point, we need all the picks we have...after all this is a rebuild mock. Flynn is an unknown. Hes had literally 2 professional starts. Talk about a small sample size. No way is he worth a 3rd round pick if were essentially swapping bad contracts.

I like a lot of you ideas however, and your draft picks, but at the end of the day I want us to trade down when we do trade and draft as many players as possible in round 1-5, not trying to give away unnecessary picks.

I think Leavitt will follow Fangio to the Jets like Pettine followed Rex. I wanted someone with a QB background to be the OC and I think Chryst has done a good job lately.

Flynn's contract isn't that bad and would probably be worth at least a 4th round pick if Sanchez wasn't in the trade. Sanchez has negative trade value.

I still have us with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and 7 overall, even though I traded a third for Flynn.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are the Ravens trading up for?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Who are the Ravens trading up for?

Manti Te'o

aceinthehouse wrote:
Call it a hunch. Idea
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, besides cutting Holmes. Our WRs looks awful without him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
I like it, besides cutting Holmes. Our WRs looks awful without him.

We have another year of progression for Hill and Kerley plus Cordarrelle Patterson. I want WRs that can grow with our QB and not be what Holmes has been to Sanchez over the past two years.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Call it a hunch. Idea
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can def see Sanchez to Seattle, because they should be willing to move Flynn and that would reunite Sanchez and Carroll. Besides they could cut him in 2014 to let him have a chance to sign elsewhere.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of firing Rex for another defensive coach. Vic has way more to work with in SF than the Jets have. I don't think Rex will be fired.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
green24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
I am not a fan of firing Rex for another defensive coach. Vic has way more to work with in SF than the Jets have. I don't think Rex will be fired.

Look at what Vic has done with Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, and Dashon Goldson. The 49ers defense wasn't this good before he took over.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Call it a hunch. Idea
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite not wanting to lose Rex, I'm coming to grips with the all too real possibility it happens. Kind of feels like we became the New York 49ers, but I have no issue with that.

Draft is good. The offense obviously needs the most work, and I think it improved dramatically here.

I'm not entirely sure it would require a third to get Flynn. A fourth and Sanchez should be enough IMO. I like the trade regardless though.
ukjets21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
I can def see Sanchez to Seattle, because they should be willing to move Flynn and that would reunite Sanchez and Carroll. Besides they could cut him in 2014 to let him have a chance to sign elsewhere.

I doubt it for the Carroll reason to be honest. Pete Carroll hasn't really gone to any of his former USC players and I doubt he'll be interested in Sanchez at all.

Adopt a Jet: Sheldon Richardson

Tackles - 77
Sacks - 3.5
Forced Fumbles - 1
4 Carries - 4 Yards - 2 TDs
green24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:

I doubt it for the Carroll reason to be honest. Pete Carroll hasn't really gone to any of his former USC players and I doubt he'll be interested in Sanchez at all.

He did try to revive Mike Williams' career.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Call it a hunch. Idea
49ers4life52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stay away from our coaches!!!!!

^Kempes^
green24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers4life52 wrote:
You stay away from our coaches!!!!!

Laughing At least I didn't take Gamble.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Call it a hunch. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: