Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Cleveland has a lot of needs and I highly doubt they give up a high second for Smith when they can fill a need.

I think they don't have a second anyway. Josh Gordon.
I think you're right. It might be a third but either way, one of these bottom feeders will not give up a high pick when they have needs.

Didn't give a high pick. Just swapped picks 1st round picks and grabbed A.Smith and A.Boone for the 25ish draft spot differential value.

FYI just trying to clarify not calling anyone out.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Cleveland has a lot of needs and I highly doubt they give up a high second for Smith when they can fill a need.

I think they don't have a second anyway. Josh Gordon.
I think you're right. It might be a third but either way, one of these bottom feeders will not give up a high pick when they have needs.

Unless they think they have the elements in place. The Browns have a lot of good things going on. If they can add a big time pass rusher with their first rounder (Werner, Damontre Moore?) and grab one of the LBs that always drop to the third, they have the make-up of a pretty good defense. And they have Joe Thomas and Trent Richardson on offense. Alex needs a good running game, and I think Richardson will provide that.

Plus, it would unite the two Alex Smiths! Alex Smith throwing to Alex Smith for a 6 yard gain! Talk about an underwhelming feat.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
Would a swap of 1st round picks be enough to get Alex Smith & Alex Boone?

IE Cleveland's 2012 1st rounder for San Fransisco's 1st rounder plus Alex Smith and Alex Boone?

I figure that Cleveland's pick will be around 5th-7th overall with San Fransisco's being 28-32 (Good Luck on your Play Off run Btw)

The reason I am asking as it looks like another coaching regime change in Cleveland with a possible GM change as well.

So the new folks may no want to go Forward with the QB's on the roster.

Thoughts?

I don't see why we'd want to trade Boone, to be honest. He's playing near probowl-caliber football and has a very cheap contract (that he signed while he was a back-up last year). In my opinion, Boone (and his contract) alone would almost be worthy of the pic swap. I think a straight up trade of Alex for a 2nd rounder would be more likely, if you guys really think it's worth it. Some other guys would tell you not to bother because he will be released, but that's ridiculous to imagine, really. His price won't be determined by his talent or positional worth, but by the trade market. If there are two teams who want him, one team will have to offer more than the other. If there are 3 or more, that offer should increase again. But seconds and firsts might be too high.

I just the thought the trade UP value of the swapped picks would be big enough to grad both. That and the idea of adding someone truely frighting opposite A.Smith like D.Moore D.Jordon or B.Werner would be very attractive JMOT.

And as stated Cleveland already spent it's 2013 2nd rounder this summer on WR Josh Gordon.

It sure would be attractive to get that top 10 pick, and we'd need more than our 13 picks combined. But Boone is very valuable to us. It's far for likely we'd trade Alex + first + one of our thirds + a 5th for the browns' top 10 pick. We have enough ammo in the picks department, and too few roster spots for them, so that's the trade that would make more sense to us than trading an established, cheap and important part of our offense. Feel free to make an offer for the combo of picks you see fit. If not, why not trade Alex for a 2014 high pick? I could see that happening.

steadypimpin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

IE Cleveland's 2012 1st rounder for San Fransisco's 1st rounder plus Alex Smith and Alex Boone?

I figure that Cleveland's pick will be around 5th-7th overall with San Fransisco's being 28-32 (Good Luck on your Play Off run Btw)

The reason I am asking as it looks like another coaching regime change in Cleveland with a possible GM change as well.

Thoughts?

I don't see why we'd want to trade Boone, to be honest. He's playing near probowl-caliber football and has a very cheap contract (that he signed while he was a back-up last year). In my opinion, Boone (and his contract) alone would almost be worthy of the pic swap. I think a straight up trade of Alex for a 2nd rounder would be more likely, if you guys really think it's worth it. Some other guys would tell you not to bother because he will be released, but that's ridiculous to imagine, really. His price won't be determined by his talent or positional worth, but by the trade market. If there are two teams who want him, one team will have to offer more than the other. If there are 3 or more, that offer should increase again. But seconds and firsts might be too high.

I just the thought the trade UP value of the swapped picks would be big enough to grad both. That and the idea of adding someone truely frighting opposite A.Smith like D.Moore D.Jordon or B.Werner would be very attractive JMOT.

And as stated Cleveland already spent it's 2013 2nd rounder this summer on WR Josh Gordon.

It sure would be attractive to get that top 10 pick, and we'd need more than our 13 picks combined. But Boone is very valuable to us. It's far for likely we'd trade Alex + first + one of our thirds + a 5th for the browns' top 10 pick. We have enough ammo in the picks department, and too few roster spots for them, so that's the trade that would make more sense to us than trading an established, cheap and important part of our offense. Feel free to make an offer for the combo of picks you see fit. If not, why not trade Alex for a 2014 high pick? I could see that happening.
I just don't see that happening. With the contracts of new first rounders I think teams are more prone to take a risk on an unproven guy with potential than waste a pick to us for a guy like Alex. Like, Weeden now they can get rid of with relatively no harm as before they would have to keep him for a few years because of his 1st round status and contract. Those days are over now. 1st rounders can bust easier now without hurting teams.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

Thoughts?

I just don't see that happening. With the contracts of new first rounders I think teams are more prone to take a risk on an unproven guy with potential than waste a pick to us for a guy like Alex. Like, Weeden now they can get rid of with relatively no harm as before they would have to keep him for a few years because of his 1st round status and contract. Those days are over now. 1st rounders can bust easier now without hurting teams.

But a teams like the Browns are under pressure to win sooner rather than later. Seeing how the Steelers and Ravens aren't exactly what they used to be, their window for winning is right now. If they can get playmakers on defense, a strong running game and the ultimate game manager, they could be a playoff team in 2013. I'm not saying that's the smart move to make for the long-term. But the Browns are in dire need of short-term success.

steadypimpin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

Thoughts?

But a teams like the Browns are under pressure to win sooner rather than later. Seeing how the Steelers and Ravens aren't exactly what they used to be, their window for winning is right now. If they can get playmakers on defense, a strong running game and the ultimate game manager, they could be a playoff team in 2013. I'm not saying that's the smart move to make for the long-term. But the Browns are in dire need of short-term success.
I can see that. Here's a flip side to that argument though. Look at Kaep, Wilson, RG3, Dalton... those are guys who are new that have done good things in little time. The risk/reward is greater to me if they used the pick on a guy instead of trading for a game manager.

"Keep choppin' wood"
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

Thoughts?

I can see that. Here's a flip side to that argument though. Look at Kaep, Wilson, RG3, Dalton... those are guys who are new that have done good things in little time. The risk/reward is greater to me if they used the pick on a guy instead of trading for a game manager.

But there's no one like that in this year's class. Geno is nice and all, but he's not in the same class as the two top picks last year, and he's far from a sure shot. And in any case, he's likely to be out of the Browns reach anyway. There's Barkley, who's probably more of a mid to late first, unless a team falls in love with him (not looking at you, Jets). This year's QB class increases Alex's value.

I could really see them offering a 2014 second rounder. And the funny thing is, Alex would still be younger than their 2012 first round QB...

steadypimpin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

Thoughts?

But there's no one like that in this year's class. Geno is nice and all, but he's not in the same class as the two top picks last year, and he's far from a sure shot. And in any case, he's likely to be out of the Browns reach anyway. There's Barkley, who's probably more of a mid to late first, unless a team falls in love with him (not looking at you, Jets). This year's QB class increases Alex's value.

I could really see them offering a 2014 second rounder. And the funny thing is, Alex would still be younger than their 2012 first round QB...
I'm right there with you on hoping for a pick instead of letting Alex walk. I just don't think we're going to get a 2nd rounder out of it. I'd say the best we get is a 4th, maybe if we're lucky a 3rd. We're homers here I get it but let's be realistic. I honestly don't see that happening. I know you guys know my stance about Alex but I'm looking at it from a league view. Teams aren't going to be knocking on Alex's door as much as some think.

"Keep choppin' wood"
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Alex and Boone. But if Kilgore or looney could fill in... I would do that.
Grab star! Bam. He can play all 3 positions on the line. Super athletic for his size. Always blowing up plays. Alway penetrating. Damn that would be nice.

new sig... sorry alex
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
I love Alex and Boone. But if Kilgore or looney could fill in... I would do that.
Grab star! Bam. He can play all 3 positions on the line. Super athletic for his size. Always blowing up plays. Alway penetrating. Damn that would be nice.

Star goes top 5 imo and the Browns might be int he 7-9 range. There's no chance of the trade happening, but if it were to happen the guy I'd want is the German.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm right there with you on hoping for a pick instead of letting Alex walk. I just don't think we're going to get a 2nd rounder out of it. I'd say the best we get is a 4th, maybe if we're lucky a 3rd. We're homers here I get it but let's be realistic. I honestly don't see that happening. I know you guys know my stance about Alex but I'm looking at it from a league view. Teams aren't going to be knocking on Alex's door as much as some think.

I know, I've said all along the most likely outcome is anywhere from 4th to conditional 7th (I was only kidding about 2019, but a conditional 7th might happen, if only to save that million in cap space). But if a team is desperate enough, who knows. We've seen the raiders make worst trades.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

Thoughts?

Sure. After all who would give up anything for a qb with a 19-5 record over the past couple of seasons, who took his team to within a fumbled punt of the SB, leads the league in completion percentage, is second only to Rodgers in QBR, and second only to RG III in YPA? Guys like that are a dime a dozen and hardly worth giving up a draft pick for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well would he do without a top defense to help him though? Those records are because of that largely.

"Keep choppin' wood"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: