Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Alex Smith Reply with quote

Hey all,
I am Raiders fan, and I have always thought that Alex Smith was a good QB and could be a a top 10-12 QB. I am hoping that the Raiders go after him this off-season.

What are his good, his bad and his ugly?

Do you think he lines up with more a West Coast O that the Raiders are switching too?

what do you think he si worth?

Thanks JTJagg7754

There is good and evil, choose good.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A volatile subject that you may get extreme degrees of variance over.

Me? I think he's a good QB and would regard him as a top 12. I'd put him in that 2nd tier outside of the handful of elites. Would be fun to see him play for Oakland, as unlike many that live on the WC and have that Bay area rivalry in their hearts... I do not. I really liked the Raiders back in the Gannon, Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Charlie Garner, etc. era.

As for his value? That stays a tricky and subjective subject. Me? If I were a GM, I would easily cough up a 3rd rd pick to bring him in. I am in an ongoing GM mock as the Vikes GM and worked this trade:

Quote:
SF: QB / Alex Smith + OG / Alex Boone + #123
for:
MIN: #49 and #99

Alex is a high character guy that has the work ethic, accuracy, and mobility to continue to play at an efficient level.

Some people never really liked him... have resented him for many years.. and think he will fizzle out without the strong team and HC of SF. His numbers over the last 3 years look pretty good, and the miseries of the distant past don't appear to be relevant.

Quote:
last 38 games, Alex has put up 49 TDs to 20 INTs, and a 94.4 passer rating

.. and he just seems to get better and better as he goes... so... like I said... lots of various opinions on him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know not what you have done Preacher. You have unleashed the fury yet again... Laughing
I think he would be a good fit with the Raiders especially in a WC system. A safe efficient leader that wont propel your offense over the top alone but will compliment the talent surrounding him. He has improved tremendously the previous three years (yes even before Harbaugh) so I believe he still has potential for even more improvement. A lot of talk on our forum debating what his worth might be. Ranges anywhere between a third to a kickoff tee depending on the poster.
Oh, and don't let your Mods know about this. They may ban you just for the thought of the headaches they will most definitely have to endure... Wink In all honesty, a lot of good posters have come and gone solely due to these ubiquitous debates. You'll be in for a wild (sometimes ugly) ride.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alex is a decent QB, but Oakland would be the worst possible destination for him. He needs stability to succeed, and Oakland hasn't exactly been the poster child for that.
gridirongorilla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali2Wisco wrote:
I think Alex is a decent QB, but Oakland would be the worst possible destination for him. He needs stability to succeed, and Oakland hasn't exactly been the poster child for that.

Agree with this. For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of speculation on various shows/sites that ARI or NYJ could be destinations.
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is going to be a good starter in the league wherever he goes, I just really hope he ends up with a team that I do not hate so that I can still easily cheer for him. It will be a sad day for me not to see Alex in the Red N' Gold, but I believe wherever he goes the Niners will be having a couple playoff atmosphere games with him as the opposing teams QB

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's average at best. You guys (raiders) won't have to give up anything for him because he'll be cut. I doubt they pay Alex and just say thank you and let him walk.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
He's average at best. You guys (raiders) won't have to give up anything for him because he'll be cut. I doubt they pay Alex and just say thank you and let him walk.

But if we trade him, even for a conditional 7th rounder in 2019, we'd save an extra million in cap space. There's absolutely no sense in releasing him. All we should do is approach Alex and ask him for a list of teams he's interested in, then see what they're willing to offer. If all we can get is a conditional 7th rounder in 2019 that gets voided if Alex plays a single snap, then so be it. 1 million in cap space can make a difference.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

But if we trade him, even for a conditional 7th rounder in 2019, we'd save an extra million in cap space. There's absolutely no sense in releasing him. All we should do is approach Alex and ask him for a list of teams he's interested in, then see what they're willing to offer. If all we can get is a conditional 7th rounder in 2019 that gets voided if Alex plays a single snap, then so be it. 1 million in cap space can make a difference.
That's nice and all but they won't do that. How is us cutting him saving us $1M in cap space anyway? I am guessing that if we give him the $1M the first day of the league year that's where we save? I don't think they should give him money if they're going to get rid of him. It's a waste.

"Keep choppin' wood"
straighthate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

That's nice and all but they won't do that. How is us cutting him saving us $1M in cap space anyway? I am guessing that if we give him the $1M the first day of the league year that's where we save? I don't think they should give him money if they're going to get rid of him. It's a waste.

I'm glad you dont wanna give him that money, so maybe you can fight that in court or something. I know you hate Smith but pay attention son!!!! If we cut him we still owe him a million. And even though you hate the guy, why do you try to downplay his trade value. Pretty sure we could get a 2019 7th rounder, if I had to guess.
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Alex Smith Reply with quote

Preacher wrote:
Hey all,
I am Raiders fan, and I have always thought that Alex Smith was a good QB and could be a a top 10-12 QB. I am hoping that the Raiders go after him this off-season.

What are his good, his bad and his ugly?

Do you think he lines up with more a West Coast O that the Raiders are switching too?

what do you think he si worth?

great presnap reads, hard worker, mentally tough, protects the football and a winner. People forget that he lead an undefeated team in college and im fairly certain him and reggie bush were undefeated in HS as well. on a good day there arent that many qbs who are better but unfortuately he can be counted on for more "above average" games than "great games". But I still think he is going to be a good starter for a long time. Ill be rooting for the guy if he goes anywhere other than ARI and im really hoping he goes to the AFC. I think KC would be a good fit for him but Im not sure how well he would do for the raiders. I think they need to surround carson palmer with more talent because he really doesnt have any help. You dont want to ask alex to throw the ball 50 times a game like they have been with carson. its just not a recipe for success for either of those qbs and until the raiders add more playmakers on offense and find some success on the ground

Alex doesnt have a natural feel for the pocket, doesnt fit the ball into tight windows as much as he should, and unfortunately after his multiple shoulder surgeries his deep ball is not as good as it was earlier in his career but he is a smart qb who could find some success in the right scheme. I know he probably wouldnt want to leave the bay but Im not sure the raiders are the right place for him at this point in time. but if they made some moves in the offseason to shore up that defense etc I think alex has the potential to make the raiders the clear cut #2 behind denver in that division

I would gladly trade alex for run DMC straight up. it seems like you guys have no idea how to utilize his skill set and he would be a monster behind our OL. Although we do already have gore and 2 quicker guys in LMJ and hunter and I would say we need to add another power back but dmac is a boss and Im not sure how hunter is going to be after his injury. I really like the kid but I wouldnt mind parting ways

as for his true value, not exactly sure. I think we should trade him and a couple of our later picks for one or two higher picks from a team and it would be a great deal for both sides. it would allow a team to upgrade multiple positions

Please resign Frank Gore, Chris culliver and perrish cox
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straighthate wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

I'm glad you dont wanna give him that money, so maybe you can fight that in court or something. I know you hate Smith but pay attention son!!!! If we cut him we still owe him a million. And even though you hate the guy, why do you try to downplay his trade value. Pretty sure we could get a 2019 7th rounder, if I had to guess.
I'm asking you where it says that. I've never read that. And yeah I'd take whatever a team would give us if we traded Alex.

"Keep choppin' wood"
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
straighthate wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

I'm asking you where it says that. I've never read that. And yeah I'd take whatever a team would give us if we traded Alex.

1 million of his 2013 salary is already guaranteed. If we cut him, we still owe him that, and it becomes deadweight on the cap. If we trade him, his contract his valid with the other team, and that one million is still guaranteed, but with the team owning that contract.

I know it's just one million, but with the cap going up less than one million this year, it could make a big difference in the end.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1 million is guaranteed by a certain date but I'm not sure if that affects us if we cut him before that. Either way he's gone. Hopefully we get a pick but I doubt it. After that he can be some other teams problem.

"Keep choppin' wood"
sherm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he's a good fit with Moore and DHB. But that's just me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: