Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Per Trevor Pryce, Rex Ryan is too nice for his own good.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JoeDaJetfan


Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 52
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Per Trevor Pryce, Rex Ryan is too nice for his own good. Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/trevor-pryce-rex-ryan-might-too-nice-own-143220890--nfl.html

Good article by Trevor that may be the crux of the problems we are having...my take on it is that the guys that rely on you to put food on thier tables are never going to tell you exactly how it is, and you have to be smart enough to go somewhere else for true objectivity and then be strong enough to follow the right course of action.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7653
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right. It showed when he kept people like Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, Sanchez and Eric Smith start even tho they were playing horrible. He goes into this "I believe in you" Disney type BS, and hurt the team. I wish he was tougher on his players, we would be a much better team.
_________________

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13588
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
He's right. It showed when he kept people like Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, Sanchez and Eric Smith start even tho they were playing horrible. He goes into this "I believe in you" Disney type BS, and hurt the team. I wish he was tougher on his players, we would be a much better team.


Look at the back ups of these guys, the options behind these guys aren't that promising. I'm not even sure if we had a backup RT last year. Your gonna fault Rex for not starting Mauga over Scott last year? And Rex has been slowly phasing Scott out of the lineup for a year now. Eric Smith's backup last year was Pool who isn't even in the NFL anymore. Smith has been a situational player this year (and has done really well in it). And you don't bench your starting QB, not to mention he has been better than our backups.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jamison.


Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 7413
Location: no
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
He's right. It showed when he kept people like Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, Sanchez and Eric Smith start even tho they were playing horrible. He goes into this "I believe in you" Disney type BS, and hurt the team. I wish he was tougher on his players, we would be a much better team.


Look at the back ups of these guys, the options behind these guys aren't that promising. I'm not even sure if we had a backup RT last year. Your gonna fault Rex for not starting Mauga over Scott last year? And Rex has been slowly phasing Scott out of the lineup for a year now. Eric Smith's backup last year was Pool who isn't even in the NFL anymore. Smith has been a situational player this year (and has done really well in it). And you don't bench your starting QB, not to mention he has been better than our backups.
While I agree with both of you guys, there is a fine line between both your respected opinions and it is very hard to be on that line.
_________________

Jamison.'s Gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7653
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
He's right. It showed when he kept people like Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, Sanchez and Eric Smith start even tho they were playing horrible. He goes into this "I believe in you" Disney type BS, and hurt the team. I wish he was tougher on his players, we would be a much better team.


Look at the back ups of these guys, the options behind these guys aren't that promising. I'm not even sure if we had a backup RT last year. Your gonna fault Rex for not starting Mauga over Scott last year? And Rex has been slowly phasing Scott out of the lineup for a year now. Eric Smith's backup last year was Pool who isn't even in the NFL anymore. Smith has been a situational player this year (and has done really well in it). And you don't bench your starting QB, not to mention he has been better than our backups.


Sanchez - after what mcElroy did, he should have been the starter. But some how Rex throws Mark back out there, and kills our chance of even making the playoffs.

Scott - Scott shouldn't be starting and never should be on the field on 3rd down. I'm so tired of watching him get beat by running backs , TEs, and cheerleaders on the field. Demario Davis should be on the field more than what he has been given.

Wayne Hunter - No doubt he should have been benched. You must have forgotten how horrible he was last year and this preseason. Anyone could have did better than him. But no one else got a shot last season. All we did was find a UDFA and plug him in and everything was better.

Eric Smith - You have to admitt he is nothing more than a special teams player. He was always getting burned. Pool did drop off, no doubt, but we all knew Eric was bad going into the season, and nothing was done about it. So its more on Rex, we should have kept Lowery and , made him the starter at that time.
_________________

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colt45fool


Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 5934
Location: New Haven, CT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
He's right. It showed when he kept people like Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, Sanchez and Eric Smith start even tho they were playing horrible. He goes into this "I believe in you" Disney type BS, and hurt the team. I wish he was tougher on his players, we would be a much better team.


Look at the back ups of these guys, the options behind these guys aren't that promising. I'm not even sure if we had a backup RT last year. Your gonna fault Rex for not starting Mauga over Scott last year? And Rex has been slowly phasing Scott out of the lineup for a year now. Eric Smith's backup last year was Pool who isn't even in the NFL anymore. Smith has been a situational player this year (and has done really well in it). And you don't bench your starting QB, not to mention he has been better than our backups.


Considering Sanchez' inability to do the little things, like avoid turnovers or throw the ball away when nothing's there, he hasn't been better than his backups. At all. Even Tebow threw the ball away in that disastrous 3rd & long situation. Protect the football, don't try and win the game -- something Sanchez doesn't get and the rest of the QBs either do, or haven't been able to prove what side of the line they're on. In the QB situation, Mark should have been benched weeks ago.

Also, why are these guys on the team if they can't compete for the starting job...they have 0 business being here. Develop the talent (something we're doing a poor job of across the board) or get rid of these clowns. No one's job should ever be safe.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Heavinsent


Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Posts: 581
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 100% correct. Rex is a brilliant defensive strategist, but his willingness to stick with crappy players is so frustrating. He's worth keeping around just because of his knowledge of X's and O's on the defensive side of the ball, but I'd prefer if he was the defensive coordinator instead.

Rex is still learning how to be a head coach though. Maybe he'll learn from his mistakes and be less tolerant of underachieving players like Sanchez, Hunter, and Eric Smith.
_________________


Props to Jamison for the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13588
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
He's right. It showed when he kept people like Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, Sanchez and Eric Smith start even tho they were playing horrible. He goes into this "I believe in you" Disney type BS, and hurt the team. I wish he was tougher on his players, we would be a much better team.


Look at the back ups of these guys, the options behind these guys aren't that promising. I'm not even sure if we had a backup RT last year. Your gonna fault Rex for not starting Mauga over Scott last year? And Rex has been slowly phasing Scott out of the lineup for a year now. Eric Smith's backup last year was Pool who isn't even in the NFL anymore. Smith has been a situational player this year (and has done really well in it). And you don't bench your starting QB, not to mention he has been better than our backups.


Sanchez - after what mcElroy did, he should have been the starter. But some how Rex throws Mark back out there, and kills our chance of even making the playoffs.

Scott - Scott shouldn't be starting and never should be on the field on 3rd down. I'm so tired of watching him get beat by running backs , TEs, and cheerleaders on the field. Demario Davis should be on the field more than what he has been given.

Wayne Hunter - No doubt he should have been benched. You must have forgotten how horrible he was last year and this preseason. Anyone could have did better than him. But no one else got a shot last season. All we did was find a UDFA and plug him in and everything was better.

Eric Smith - You have to admitt he is nothing more than a special teams player. He was always getting burned. Pool did drop off, no doubt, but we all knew Eric was bad going into the season, and nothing was done about it. So its more on Rex, we should have kept Lowery and , made him the starter at that time.


You guys got such a boner for McElroy and he did NOTHING in that game. You can say it energized the team but McElroy is not a good QB prospect. He could've easily threw two INTs that game.

Davis is a good prospect but he still needs more time to be groomed. He has been in a 50/50 split for most of the season which is a fair number. The only time he saw significant time (Patriots game) he failed pretty hard. If Scott comes back next year he will be a role player.

How is it Rex's fault that we didn't have another RT? He doesn't control the roster, that's Tanny's fault.

Eric Smith is more than a STer. He is a role defensive player who shouldn't be a starter and he isn't anymore. And once again, Rex doesn't control roster/contract issues, that's Tanny
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rdelaney89


Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 1756
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
He's right. It showed when he kept people like Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, Sanchez and Eric Smith start even tho they were playing horrible. He goes into this "I believe in you" Disney type BS, and hurt the team. I wish he was tougher on his players, we would be a much better team.


Look at the back ups of these guys, the options behind these guys aren't that promising. I'm not even sure if we had a backup RT last year. Your gonna fault Rex for not starting Mauga over Scott last year? And Rex has been slowly phasing Scott out of the lineup for a year now. Eric Smith's backup last year was Pool who isn't even in the NFL anymore. Smith has been a situational player this year (and has done really well in it). And you don't bench your starting QB, not to mention he has been better than our backups.


Sanchez - after what mcElroy did, he should have been the starter. But some how Rex throws Mark back out there, and kills our chance of even making the playoffs.

Scott - Scott shouldn't be starting and never should be on the field on 3rd down. I'm so tired of watching him get beat by running backs , TEs, and cheerleaders on the field. Demario Davis should be on the field more than what he has been given.

Wayne Hunter - No doubt he should have been benched. You must have forgotten how horrible he was last year and this preseason. Anyone could have did better than him. But no one else got a shot last season. All we did was find a UDFA and plug him in and everything was better.

Eric Smith - You have to admitt he is nothing more than a special teams player. He was always getting burned. Pool did drop off, no doubt, but we all knew Eric was bad going into the season, and nothing was done about it. So its more on Rex, we should have kept Lowery and , made him the starter at that time.


You guys got such a boner for McElroy and he did NOTHING in that game. You can say it energized the team but McElroy is not a good QB prospect. He could've easily threw two INTs that game.

Davis is a good prospect but he still needs more time to be groomed. He has been in a 50/50 split for most of the season which is a fair number. The only time he saw significant time (Patriots game) he failed pretty hard. If Scott comes back next year he will be a role player.

How is it Rex's fault that we didn't have another RT? He doesn't control the roster, that's Tanny's fault.

Eric Smith is more than a STer. He is a role defensive player who shouldn't be a starter and he isn't anymore. And once again, Rex doesn't control roster/contract issues, that's Tanny


I agree with orange. Rex was Put in a tight spot with Sanchez cause of his contract so I'm ok with him starting mark the past few games. McElroy brought energy to the field but he is far from what mark looked like at his best. I'm excited to watch him today after taking all the reps with the first team. Rex has also been adding talent to the positions you mentioned outside of QB but that will be addressed this offseason
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7653
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="teamorange"]
rickyt31 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
[quote="rickyt31".


You guys got such a boner for McElroy and he did NOTHING in that game. You can say it energized the team but McElroy is not a good QB prospect. He could've easily threw two INTs that game.

Davis is a good prospect but he still needs more time to be groomed. He has been in a 50/50 split for most of the season which is a fair number. The only time he saw significant time (Patriots game) he failed pretty hard. If Scott comes back next year he will be a role player.

How is it Rex's fault that we didn't have another RT? He doesn't control the roster, that's Tanny's fault.

Eric Smith is more than a STer. He is a role defensive player who shouldn't be a starter and he isn't anymore. And once again, Rex doesn't control roster/contract issues, that's Tanny


Yeah McElroy didn't do anything special, but he didn't blow the game like Mark was doing. He did what he had to do. Normally a QB who does that would get to start until he crashes. But nope, he went right back to Mark when we had a shot of making the playoffs.

Think about it, do you really think Rex has no say so on roster moves? as much talking as he does? He doesn't control the contracts, but I bet you he is in tanny's ear when he finds a player he wants. We are very lucky that Howard turned out to be a good player. If he was like other UDFAs, we would have a lot more L's.

Its not that Eric was still on the team, its the fact that he was never benched during poor performances. That could have sent a message to him. Eric played so bad, the report came out that he played most games with a knee injury, and no one on this forum knew the difference because he sucked before it.
_________________

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7653
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Just to make sure we are clear, I want Rex to get another shot. I just want him to be tougher and bench someone when they are playing horribly.
_________________

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group