Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the What's Frazier Done Right thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: the What's Frazier Done Right thread Reply with quote

we'll see if it goes beyond one page...

Very Happy

one thing Frazier has done right is to have hired special teams coach Mike Priefer:

The Vikings haven’t allowed a kickoff to be returned past the 25 yard line since Week 5, leaving their special teams coordinator thrilled with his players’ buy-in and commending the front office for supplying so many high-character, hard-working young players.

Priefer: “Playing special teams in some teams is kind of an insult. Where here we’ve got guys itching to play special teams. And I think that’s the mentality and the culture we’ve established here that’s really made a difference. We had a few guys last year and then I think even the guys that were here last year, this year have said, ‘You know what, this is kind of fun. We have a kicker who’s going to give us a chance on kick coverage, we have a punter who’s going to give us a chance on punt coverage, we’ve got returners that make plays and can make people miss even if I don’t get a perfect block.’ So probably at the end of spring going into training camp I was pretty excited about the direction we were going."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/184450541.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think letting Spielman take over the operations side without putting up a fuss. Most coaches want more say about who is on their roster but Frazier has done his part in just worrying about the coaching aspect of it. Brz, Spielman, and Frazier while having different duties definitely imo are on the same page.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hiring Alan Williams will prove to be a good hire over time. The secondary has been as good as it has been since the 2009 season.

LB play needs to improve, but i think that is a talent issue instead of a coaching issue.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
Jeff Davidson is the smartest move Frazier has made as the Head Coach.

Webmaster wrote:
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far Frazier has shown a much better ability to accept when something didn't work out and change it, he doesn't keep trying to jam a square peg in a round hole.

After moving on from Pagac as DC, and hiring Williams after one season, with the struggles this team has had in other areas, I'm curious to see what types of changes get made once this season is done. And I really hope we see a couple of coaching changes.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...

Last edited by LostRoadStone on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
So far Frazier has shown a much better ability to accept when something didn't work out and change it, he does keep trying to jam a square peg in a round hole.

he does or he doesn't?

Question

Webmaster wrote:
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
LostRoadStone wrote:
So far Frazier has shown a much better ability to accept when something didn't work out and change it, he does keep trying to jam a square peg in a round hole.

he does or he doesn't?

Question

Doesn't. My bad.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
Dr LoveVikings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that beyond making solid coaching hires (e.g. Jeff Davidson, Alan Williams, Mike Priefer), Leslie Frazier has been a player's coach. It is very refreshing to have a positive, cool, calm, and collected face of the team that the players (barring Percy Harvin, lol) enjoy playing for. He appears to have a great personality and a unique ability to harmonize with the coaching staff, and thus facilitating a great working environment for players and coaches.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's winning this year. Wink

As a coach, he's:

1) Hired a few good people. Priefer and Williams should continue to grow as coaches in time. Musgrave is still up in the air (The running game is just awesome, but the passing game is wayy too up and down, and at this point only asks for a game manager. meh)

2) From multiple interviews heard from players, he sounds like someone they believe in. Honestly, I don't think I saw/heard that about Childress.

3) He's grown as a coach. From his first day until now, I think he's been able to grow with the NFL, helping the Vikings getting better. There was a report about how few penalties the Vikings had this year, and a lot of it has to do because Frazier hired refs for practice, to help the team. That was a BRILLIANT move.

4) He seems to be an accountable guy, and committed to what he says. There is a clear, direct motive you seem to get from him.

5) He works with what is given to him. Like another poster said, No clashes with anyone else in the organization. Spielman does his part, and Frazier goes from there.

I think he has a bright future as a Head Coach. I hope he continues to grow next season.

down but not out. I still believe!
AndyJ1134

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
He's winning this year. Wink

As a coach, he's:

1) Hired a few good people. Priefer and Williams should continue to grow as coaches in time. Musgrave is still up in the air (The running game is just awesome, but the passing game is wayy too up and down, and at this point only asks for a game manager. meh)

2) From multiple interviews heard from players, he sounds like someone they believe in. Honestly, I don't think I saw/heard that about Childress.

3) He's grown as a coach. From his first day until now, I think he's been able to grow with the NFL, helping the Vikings getting better. There was a report about how few penalties the Vikings had this year, and a lot of it has to do because Frazier hired refs for practice, to help the team. That was a BRILLIANT move.

4) He seems to be an accountable guy, and committed to what he says. There is a clear, direct motive you seem to get from him.

5) He works with what is given to him. Like another poster said, No clashes with anyone else in the organization. Spielman does his part, and Frazier goes from there.

I think he has a bright future as a Head Coach. I hope he continues to grow next season.

I didnt know that! It really is a simple yet incredibly clever move.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyJ1134 wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

I didnt know that! It really is a simple yet incredibly clever move.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15305799#15305799

Webmaster wrote:
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted to see an empty thread just for the sake of comedy. Laughing

With that out of my system, Fraizer has impressed me in certain magnitudes this season. Especially the hiring of Alan Williams, who is finally giving the Vikings a competitive young secondary.

I don't agree with his conservative approach at times, but it isn't always bad. He seems to really be a player's coach, and that could end well or bad. (The Mike Tice era)

Whatever the case, the verdict is still out on him and I need to see some improvements on offense, drastically. If he can do those things, I don't mind him in the driver's seat a few more years to see where he takes us.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier is a players coach but he also appears to be a very disciplined coach and individual. Mike Tice was a players coach, but he also had very little discipline as a coach and person. That reflected poorly on those Viking teams.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
I really wanted to see an empty thread just for the sake of comedy. Laughing

With that out of my system, Fraizer has impressed me in certain magnitudes this season. Especially the hiring of Alan Williams, who is finally giving the Vikings a competitive young secondary.

I don't agree with his conservative approach at times, but it isn't always bad. He seems to really be a player's coach, and that could end well or bad. (The Mike Tice era)

Whatever the case, the verdict is still out on him and I need to see some improvements on offense, drastically. If he can do those things, I don't mind him in the driver's seat a few more years to see where he takes us.

all very valid points.

Applause

Webmaster wrote:
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing he deserves credit for is he improved play of the defensive backfield. Our DB's have been playing as well as they have in years. I can't say what a pleasure it has been to see a safety or corner actually catch the ball for the INT when it hits them in the chest. A welcome change!

The biggest thing we can look at is the most important thing - the win/loss record. He is improvement, and that's what really counts. I think he has done a pretty decent job with what he has had to work with in his tenure here.

Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: