Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

State of the Rams - Offense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halradio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: State of the Rams - Offense Reply with quote

Well now that the Rams play off run is all but done (it WAS fun while it lasted) and two games left - I would like to take the time to reflect on the state of the Rams on the offensive side of the ball.

Offensive Coordinator - The Rams aren't exactly tearing it up with a passing and rushing attack ranked at 20 and 17 respectively.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams

However, IMO Schotty has brought a scheme that works with the personnel onboard. Furthermore, unlike last year this offense won't get Sam killed - in 10 games in 2011 he absorbed 36 sacks compared to 35 for all of this year.

Quarterback - I will come out and say it - we have our franchise QB in Sam Bradford.

He reminds me a lot of Eli Manning. On one hand both often have excrutiatingly slow starts, get so cold that you swear they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside, and throw gosh awful what were you thinking INTs. But at the end of the game they can get red hot and make some absolutely amazing throws.

Sam certainly has things to work on - like cutting down on the mind blowing INTs. However, he has also been a big reason the Rams were and continue to be relevant deep into Dec.

Running Back - SJAX IMO has two more good seasons in him and no more. All those years of running behind bad lines with no offensive help to speak of have taken their toll. Furthermore, IMO his replacement is currenly NOT on the roster. I like Richardson has a complimentary back, but I don't see him as the workhorse back this offense MUST have.

Wide reciever - There are folks who say the Rams still need play-makers at WR. Let's see we have a bona-fide deep threat in Chris Givens, a go-to guy in Danny Amendola, and as much as I hate to admit it Gibson is looking like a servicable number one. Throw in Pettis and Quick and IMO you have the makings of a pretty decent WR corp that has actually grown with their QB. THIS is how chemistry is made.Therefore, I do not see a need to waste precious cap money and/or a high draft pick on a WR when there are far deeper holes in this roster.

Tight-end - Kendricks will not be the next Gronk. However, has proven he can get down the middle of the field and make opponents pay. Furthermore, like the rest of the Ram's pass catchers he is growing up with Sam and I expect he will get even better next season.

Offensive Tackle - If the Rams had to make an upgrade here I would say RT. Barry Richardson has been at least servicable. However, with Saffold's injury woes, IMO the Rams are going to be looking for a dominant RT who can eventually flip to the other side.

For the record I like Saffold, but he has been hurt two seasons running. Simply put, that is NOT a good thing for a big man whose job it is to crash into other big men. I just don't see his body holding up more than a season or two at this rate.

Interior Line - If I was a betting man, this is a primary spot the Rams are going to focus on in the off-season. This wasn't an area of strength to start with and injuries have absolutely decimated this unit with two OGs out of the year and the projected starting center missing a signficant chunk of it. I would not be surprised if at least one draft pick was spent on an Guard next April.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson is not a serviceable #1 at all. And Daryl Richardson should be starting over SJ right now. Still think they should do a time-share but Richardson should get more carries.(15-10 split or so)

We definitely need a WR unless Quick steps up in the final 2 games. He's shown flashes but flashes aren't enough.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Gibson is not a serviceable #1 at all. And Daryl Richardson should be starting over SJ right now. Still think they should do a time-share but Richardson should get more carries.(15-10 split or so)\
What are your thoughts on Ganaway?

I get this feeling that they really like him. They wouldnt have went and gotten a 4th RB off someones practice squad while the other 3 were healthy all year and keep him on the 53 man all year, just as a guy.

He has a skill set that every team likes to have, the big bruiser that everyone likes to have in their back pocket. I would actually not feel bad if next years RB stable was just Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Terrance Ganaway. He could be a valuable Brandon Jacobs/Michael Bush type.
Faulk28SJaX39

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like TE is the position in the receiving corp that needs to be upgraded. Kendricks would be one of the 5 best no.2 te's in the NFL. IF we could add Eifert in the draft I feel like he might be the player of all the ones available, that could make the largest impact for our team.

PROPS TO DEADPULSE ON THE SIG!
Adopt-A-Ram '13:
Jake Long: 1 GS/0 Sacks Allowed
Kendall Langford: 2tackles, 1 for loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Halradio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things to consider with Gibson:

One he has gotten better every year he has been in this league.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12567/brandon-gibson

What have been the Rams calling card over the years? Not holding on to players long enough to let them develop.

Two - this offense is run centric. Which means we don't need a Calvin Johnson or an Andre Johnson to take over the game. We need blue color WRs that can get downfield and catch the ball when the opposing D stacks 8 in the box.

46 Catches for 634 yards with a 13.3 Yard avg and 5 TDs (including a couple of highlight reel grabs) isn't spectacular, but certainly servicable.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12567/brandon-gibson
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Gibson is not a serviceable #1 at all. And Daryl Richardson should be starting over SJ right now. Still think they should do a time-share but Richardson should get more carries.(15-10 split or so)\
What are your thoughts on Ganaway?

I get this feeling that they really like him. They wouldnt have went and gotten a 4th RB off someones practice squad while the other 3 were healthy all year and keep him on the 53 man all year, just as a guy.

He has a skill set that every team likes to have, the big bruiser that everyone likes to have in their back pocket. I would actually not feel bad if next years RB stable was just Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Terrance Ganaway. He could be a valuable Brandon Jacobs/Michael Bush type.

I posted in the controversial thread that I feel Ganaway has some serious Marcel Reese like ability and potential as a hybird FB, I'm a huge fane of Terrance, every mock I did last year had us taking him

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
tim199009

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the biggest thing this offense needs, and have needed for years is a big receiver. Im talking 6'4 plus, jumping out the gym and can grab a ball thrown anywhere within a 10 mile radius of him(joke). I think this is what sam needs, it seems like most good quarterbacks in the league has this kind of guy they go to in stress situation where they could just throw it up in his area and they know he'll grab it.
Hoj398

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Rams - Offense Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
Well now that the Rams play off run is all but done (it WAS fun while it lasted) and two games left - I would like to take the time to reflect on the state of the Rams on the offensive side of the ball.

Offensive Coordinator - The Rams aren't exactly tearing it up with a passing and rushing attack ranked at 20 and 17 respectively.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams

However, IMO Schotty has brought a scheme that works with the personnel onboard. Furthermore, unlike last year this offense won't get Sam killed - in 10 games in 2011 he absorbed 36 sacks compared to 35 for all of this year.

Quarterback - I will come out and say it - we have our franchise QB in Sam Bradford.

He reminds me a lot of Eli Manning. On one hand both often have excrutiatingly slow starts, get so cold that you swear they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside, and throw gosh awful what were you thinking INTs. But at the end of the game they can get red hot and make some absolutely amazing throws.

Sam certainly has things to work on - like cutting down on the mind blowing INTs. However, he has also been a big reason the Rams were and continue to be relevant deep into Dec.

Running Back - SJAX IMO has two more good seasons in him and no more. All those years of running behind bad lines with no offensive help to speak of have taken their toll. Furthermore, IMO his replacement is currenly NOT on the roster. I like Richardson has a complimentary back, but I don't see him as the workhorse back this offense MUST have.

Wide reciever - There are folks who say the Rams still need play-makers at WR. Let's see we have a bona-fide deep threat in Chris Givens, a go-to guy in Danny Amendola, and as much as I hate to admit it Gibson is looking like a servicable number one. Throw in Pettis and Quick and IMO you have the makings of a pretty decent WR corp that has actually grown with their QB. THIS is how chemistry is made.Therefore, I do not see a need to waste precious cap money and/or a high draft pick on a WR when there are far deeper holes in this roster.

Tight-end - Kendricks will not be the next Gronk. However, has proven he can get down the middle of the field and make opponents pay. Furthermore, like the rest of the Ram's pass catchers he is growing up with Sam and I expect he will get even better next season.

Offensive Tackle - If the Rams had to make an upgrade here I would say RT. Barry Richardson has been at least servicable. However, with Saffold's injury woes, IMO the Rams are going to be looking for a dominant RT who can eventually flip to the other side.

For the record I like Saffold, but he has been hurt two seasons running. Simply put, that is NOT a good thing for a big man whose job it is to crash into other big men. I just don't see his body holding up more than a season or two at this rate.

Interior Line - If I was a betting man, this is a primary spot the Rams are going to focus on in the off-season. This wasn't an area of strength to start with and injuries have absolutely decimated this unit with two OGs out of the year and the projected starting center missing a signficant chunk of it. I would not be surprised if at least one draft pick was spent on an Guard next April.

Saffold injuries have been weird accidents. He tore a bicep muscle while working out, and hurt his knee by being tackled when picking up a fumble. i dont think you can label him as injury prone. its just a weird how they happen.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In summation, you're take on the state of the Ram's offense is that you're happy with it, aside from some lineman issues. That, I simply cannot agree with.

Whether it is a WR or a TE, we have to get a guy who causes matchup problems in the red zone. That is unless Quick can develop.

FYI- The countdown to Craig Dahl's end in blue and gold is down to 2 games. Laughing

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
maladeen3917

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
In summation, you're take on the state of the Ram's offense is that you're happy with it, aside from some lineman issues. That, I simply cannot agree with.

Whether it is a WR or a TE, we have to get a guy who causes matchup problems in the red zone. That is unless Quick can develop.

FYI- The countdown to Craig Dahl's end in blue and gold is down to 2 games. Laughing

the farewell and good-riddance party is almost starting soon
Halradio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument can be made the Rams have a couple of guys who have the potential for causing match up problems - Pettis and Quick are both 6'3. In fact Quick gave a glimpse last week of what he is capable of with that circus catch.

Here is my argument against drafting yet another WR - the Rams already have one of the youngest WR corps in the NFL so why do we want to add another rookie to the mix versus developing the guys we have.

Not to mention it appears Sam is finally starting to develop some real chemistry with this group.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
The argument can be made the Rams have a couple of guys who have the potential for causing match up problems - Pettis and Quick are both 6'3. In fact Quick gave a glimpse last week of what he is capable of with that circus catch.

Here is my argument against drafting yet another WR - the Rams already have one of the youngest WR corps in the NFL so why do we want to add another rookie to the mix versus developing the guys we have.

Not to mention it appears Sam is finally starting to develop some real chemistry with this group.

I've never specifically advocated drafting a WR, and for the exact reason you stated, so I agree there. I want a veteran signing at WR, and a draft choice used at TE, assuming the right player falls to us.

No, one cannot make the argument that Pettis poses matchup problems. At least not for the defense. You could argue that he is tall, I suppose. Even at Boise State, he wasn't a guy who used his size particularly well.

I like Dwayne Bowe, and now that he finished a lackluster season on IR, I don't think signing him would break the bank.

NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Halradio wrote:

I've never specifically advocated drafting a WR, and for the exact reason you stated, so I agree there. I want a veteran signing at WR, and a draft choice used at TE, assuming the right player falls to us.

No, one cannot make the argument that Pettis poses matchup problems. At least not for the defense. You could argue that he is tall, I suppose. Even at Boise State, he wasn't a guy who used his size particularly well.

I like Dwayne Bowe, and now that he finished a lackluster season on IR, I don't think signing him would break the bank.

A one year deal with incentives seems likely for him. Chance to have a big season and cash in following the one year deal.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
Halradio wrote:

A one year deal with incentives seems likely for him. Chance to have a big season and cash in following the one year deal.

If that's the case then we should definitely be interested.

Jonezy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Touchdown for Quick, was a HUGE weight lifted off my shoulders. I think he will take a few years for sure, very raw. But, will be very good

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: