Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

EDS named starting center.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 31286
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel more confident with this team heading into the postseason than i did last year for some reason.

SB

EDS MVP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dubyajay


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1704
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
Per PFF, EDS has graded out as our best run blocker this season. Not on a per snap basis either, but for total grade. 2nd best grade is Sitton. 4th best is Barclay. Think they want to run right? Laughing
Where some are seeing this as a test for the future at center, I think this is all about the present. Particularly how they felt Dietrich-Smith performed in a starter's capacity at left guard. Offensive line continuity is someone you really like to have going into the playoffs and with both LG and RT having injuries I don't see making a change as center as any sort of test, we'll try it out thing. This is a Dietrich-Smith is one of the five best linemen available on the Packers and needs to get on the field while Saturday is a player who has clearly struggled.


I don't think it is an either/or predicament.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7174
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see how EDS holds up in Pass pro. That is going to be the major thing here. He'll be an upgrade in the run game, but will we be upgrading in pass pro? If not, is the decline in pass pro worth the upgrade in run blocking for a predominantly pass heavy team?
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3732
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Biggest Issue: If EDS fails, he'll still want starter money. Don't think so? Erik Walden.

Quote:
4/23/2012: Signed a one-year, $725,000 contract. The deal contains a $25,000 workout bonus. 2012: $700,000, 2013: Free Agent

We could sign like 150 Erik Waldens. I'd be stoked if we had EDS for less than 750k a year

I'm just saying he will want a contract comparable to Lang's whether or not the team has any intention of going forward with him as a starter. Lang got his contract because the organization planned to stick with him. Walden got the contract he did because nobody else would sign him. If EDS hits FA he might actually draw offers.
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7174
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
justo wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Biggest Issue: If EDS fails, he'll still want starter money. Don't think so? Erik Walden.

Quote:
4/23/2012: Signed a one-year, $725,000 contract. The deal contains a $25,000 workout bonus. 2012: $700,000, 2013: Free Agent

We could sign like 150 Erik Waldens. I'd be stoked if we had EDS for less than 750k a year

I'm just saying he will want a contract comparable to Lang's whether or not the team has any intention of going forward with him as a starter. Lang got his contract because the organization planned to stick with him. Walden got the contract he did because nobody else would sign him. If EDS hits FA he might actually draw offers.


I imagine he wouldn't cost much for a long term deal right now. I'm thinking something in the 4 years 9-12 mil range. I doubt he gets near 4 per. TJ signed for 5/22. EDS is not as good as Lang. I think the most he ends up with is 3M/year which would be fair if he is a starting center caliber player. That would put him roughly middle of the pack in the league as far as pay goes for Centers, maybe slightly below.
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13240
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...he's not getting Lang money for starting at C for a couple games
Somewhere between 2-3 per IMO
Who is going to pay him more than us?
_________________
Pugger wrote:
Pugger? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7174
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Dude...he's not getting Lang money for starting at C for a couple games
Somewhere between 2-3 per IMO
Who is going to pay him more than us?


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApZxxPFKvxLVdEdIMzNhLUIzT3RaN2RqR3JxSnJybnc

The average salary cap hit for a starting C (projected starter at beginning of the year, not one that took over for injury) is 2.697M. That includes players on rookie deals like Jason Kelce, Rodney Hudson and Brian De La Puente who are making the rookie minimum. I did not include any negative cap changes due to injury.
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3732
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Dude...he's not getting Lang money for starting at C for a couple games
Somewhere between 2-3 per IMO
Who is going to pay him more than us?

You never know what they'll demand.
2-3 is feasible/manageable.
Nobody, it'll just up what we end up paying him, and I'm a cheapskate.
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 4300
Location: Evanston, IL
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upside is there. High ceiling with this move and a Saturday-like floor. Only concern is whether the pre-snap ability is there but the trade-off is worth it.
_________________
Simian07:
Quote:
I'd argue Jordy is probably around the 30th-40th best receiver in the NFL, maybe 50th.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13871
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I'm curious to see how EDS holds up in Pass pro. That is going to be the major thing here. He'll be an upgrade in the run game, but will we be upgrading in pass pro? If not, is the decline in pass pro worth the upgrade in run blocking for a predominantly pass heavy team?


EDS is going to grade out high end there. Remember, EDS was a college left tackle. The only thing he needs to prove is that you can't trick him. I have little doubt he is a far better blocker than Saturday has been. Saturday was spot on pre snap of late though. Either way, have said for some time now that there was no way they could sell me on EDS not being in this Packers top5. EDS brings a much different style/set to the center position than we have seen in some time. Happy for him and hope it works out. LIS before, EDS brings a mindset to the field that also rubs off on others. The true lone pitbull in this group!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheGreatZepp


Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Posts: 2844
Location: Brookfield, WI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
I'm curious to see how EDS holds up in Pass pro. That is going to be the major thing here. He'll be an upgrade in the run game, but will we be upgrading in pass pro? If not, is the decline in pass pro worth the upgrade in run blocking for a predominantly pass heavy team?


EDS is going to grade out high end there. Remember, EDS was a college left tackle. The only thing he needs to prove is that you can't trick him. I have little doubt he is a far better blocker than Saturday has been. Saturday was spot on pre snap of late though. Either way, have said for some time now that there was no way they could sell me on EDS not being in this Packers top5. EDS brings a much different style/set to the center position than we have seen in some time. Happy for him and hope it works out. LIS before, EDS brings a mindset to the field that also rubs off on others. The true lone pitbull in this group!
I'm excited to see if Dietrich-Smith, Sitton and Barclay can dig defenders off the line on short yardage.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pack4life7


Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 3240
Location: Illinois
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
i feel more confident with this team heading into the postseason than i did last year for some reason.

SB

EDS MVP.


Me too.

But honestly, if we are going into the playoffs as a "running team", we have no chance of winning it all. There's no question that we need to run the ball in the playoffs but like we did in 2010 as a compliment to Rodgers.

We are going to go as far as Rodgers takes us.
_________________
Ted brought us Clay

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo


Same Old Jay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Pack4life7


Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 3240
Location: Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

. LIS before, EDS brings a mindset to the field that also rubs off on others. The true lone pitbull in this group!


Barclay?
_________________
Ted brought us Clay

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo


Same Old Jay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13871
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

. LIS before, EDS brings a mindset to the field that also rubs off on others. The true lone pitbull in this group!


Barclay?


Barclay is more in line with a Bulaga or Lang there. Tough SOB and will get after ya, but I'm not real sure I would call him nasty. The players also view him as a stop gap. I'm sure they respect him, but not the type that will rub off on pro athletes.

EDS will go for your bag if that is what it takes! There is no shame in that man's game. Easy thing to respect as a player. Even more so if he is in a position to excel, a la center.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueswedeshoes


Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 1458
Location: WisKAHNsin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:


EDS will go for your bag if that is what it takes! There is no shame in that man's game.


Ouch!

If he's that quick to go for your bag we should call him "the Bellhop".
_________________
Ron wrote:
Baxter...is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group