Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will we lose Rob Jackson in FA?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will rob Jackson leave in FA?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63125
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Will we lose Rob Jackson in FA? Reply with quote

My mom was just asking me about Orakpo's replacement. So in was telling her all about Rob Jackson.

Then, she asked if he was a free agent in 2013 because if he was and Orakpo comes back don't you think he'd want to go somewhere else and have a chance to start?

So, that made me look up and see that he was a free agent this offseason.

I'm pretty sure some team like the jets or any team that needs a pass rusher will offer him a contract bigger than we would and a chance to start.

So are people of the impression that i have, that this will be Rob Jackson's last year in DC?

I say time to sign Antwan Barnes as a FA like I wanted to do back in 2010 when's the ravens surprisingly cut him and then Philly picked him up but cut him.

All he's done is have 18.5 sacks in the past 3 season while seeing limited time as a situational pass rushing specialist in Sd.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3818
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm not at all up on the rules ,,but seems we could make him a qualifying offer to make him "restricted".. Woz , Footy need to explain this one --options !!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 14548
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would LOVE to keep him
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63125
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Man, I'm not at all up on the rules ,,but seems we could make him a qualifying offer to make him "restricted".. Woz , Footy need to explain this one --options !!
http://mobile.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/rob-jackson/


he's not restricted. Restricted FAs are those coming off their first contracts with the team that drafted them. He's been re-signed by us- last year. He's unrestricted in 2013.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

Quote:
In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three accrued seasons of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a seven-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.

_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 7810
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restricted free agents -- three-year players with expiring contracts -- can receive offers from other teams, but the incumbent team has a right to match. Should it not match, it is entitled to draft-choice compensation corresponding to the level of tender placed on the player.

Most likely Rob Jackson could be tendered a 5th rounder.
_________________


2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63125
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Restricted free agents -- three-year players with expiring contracts -- can receive offers from other teams, but the incumbent team has a right to match. Should it not match, it is entitled to draft-choice compensation corresponding to the level of tender placed on the player.

Most likely Rob Jackson could be tendered a 5th rounder.
he's not restricted from everything I've researched. He's on his 2nd contract with the redskins
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries


Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63125
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why teams like Buffalo, NYJ, Jacksonville, Tenn, Indy, Oak, dal, Minny, Det, Atl, NO, and Tampa wouldn't be interests in improving their pass rush
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries


Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3875
Location: USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we will get him a deal, or let someone else overpay.
we developed this kid. I'm positive our FO knows exactly what he brings and what he's worth. I also see us re-signing him because I don' t see him getting a lot of attention from other teams.
_________________
http://www.sportzin.com/forums/uploads/images/1395839960-U13096.png
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 7013
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I'm not sure why teams like Buffalo, NYJ, Jacksonville, Tenn, Indy, Oak, dal, Minny, Det, Atl, NO, and Tampa wouldn't be interests in improving their pass rush
Is he really that great of a pass rusher though? He's serviceable there but IMO his best qualities are more in run defense and coverage. He's more of an all around quality player that's his value. If he were to sign elsewhere he'd be better off playing across from a superior pass rusher while his game could strengthen the other parts of the defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63125
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'm not sure why teams like Buffalo, NYJ, Jacksonville, Tenn, Indy, Oak, dal, Minny, Det, Atl, NO, and Tampa wouldn't be interests in improving their pass rush
Is he really that great of a pass rusher though? He's serviceable there but IMO his best qualities are more in run defense and coverage. He's more of an all around quality player that's his value. If he were to sign elsewhere he'd be better off playing across from a superior pass rusher while his game could strengthen the other parts of the defense.
he has 5 sacks in 12 games started. he's had a sack in 3 straight games.

You are right he is not a dynamic pass rusher but I'd say he's an upgrade at 4-3 DE or 3-4 OlB for all the teams listed.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19962
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were Shanahan/Allen, I'd tell him to look at what he can get on the open market but to at least see if we could give a matching or comparable contract. If we choose not to match, we wish him well with whatever team he signs on with ... well, perhaps not the Eagles or Cowboys.

All in all, I have to believe he's going to move on after this year. He's played well in a contract year and he knows if he stays here, he's almost guaranteed to be coming off the bench yet again. He probably won't command top dollar(*), but I could see him going somewhere to start. Given that he is a former seventh round draft pick, this is arguably his one shot to get a "big time" contract (relative to the league minimum he's been making). He'd be a fool to pass up the opportunity.




(*) Right now, Rotoworld has him as the seventh best rush linebacker behind Connor Barwin, Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger, Shaun Phillips, Victor Butler, and Antwan Barnes. Note that this particular ranking is Rotoworld's, not mine. Specifically, this is their ranking of "players ... ranked in order of how [Rotoworld's sees] them being valued on the open market." Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19962
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Will we lose Rob Jackson in FA? Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I say time to sign Antwan Barnes as a FA like I wanted to do back in 2010 when's the ravens surprisingly cut him and then Philly picked him up but cut him.

All he's done is have 18.5 sacks in the past 3 season while seeing limited time as a situational pass rushing specialist in Sd.


Barnes is also coming off of IR due to a hamstring injury he suffered in week 9 and re-injured in week 13. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4400/Antwan-Barnes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63125
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
If I were Shanahan/Allen, I'd tell him to look at what he can get on the open market but to at least see if we could give a matching or comparable contract. If we choose not to match, we wish him well with whatever team he signs on with ... well, perhaps not the Eagles or Cowboys.

All in all, I have to believe he's going to move on after this year. He's played well in a contract year and he knows if he stays here, he's almost guaranteed to be coming off the bench yet again. He probably won't command top dollar(*), but I could see him going somewhere to start. Given that he is a former seventh round draft pick, this is arguably his one shot to get a "big time" contract (relative to the league minimum he's been making). He'd be a fool to pass up the opportunity.


(*) Right now, Rotoworld has him as the seventh best rush linebacker behind Connor Barwin, Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger, Shaun Phillips, Victor Butler, and Antwan Barnes. Note that this particular ranking is Rotoworld's, not mine. Specifically, this is their ranking of "players ... ranked in order of how [Rotoworld's sees] them being valued on the open market." Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13
good point Woz. I'd agree with Rotoworlds rankings or say its about right. I hope we don't lose Rob but like you I think he'll get better offers and a chance to start somewhere else and since Orakpo will be back next year we can't give him that same guarantee.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3818
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article says "restricted" free agent .. Everything else I read says UNrestricted.. aarrgghh !!
I actually sent an E-mail to the writer to clear this up--I Will Let everyone know if I get a reply / answer.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-jackson-continues-to-catch-on/article/2517261
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dro


Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 376
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't we place a tender on him?
_________________
In Shanny I Trust
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group