Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We should trade for Eddie Royal......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bears54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: We should trade for Eddie Royal...... Reply with quote

Ok here me out before you say anything...

We obviously need a slot WR that can stretch the field, run good routes, and someone who has good hands. Eddie Royal was a good target for Cutler when they played together in Denver. It was Royals rookie season and he had 91 catches.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11276/eddie-royal

Devin Hester isn't the answer at slot, who knows if Johnny Knox will ever return to the NFL, Bennett is to slow, and Jeffery cant play the slot.

So what if instead of taking a gamble on drafting a WR in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round and hoping that he will be the answer. Why dont we just trade for Royal and give up a 4th round pick for him. Maybe even a 5th round for him and Royal could be our 5th round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. He is a familar target for Cutler. Royals runs a 4.38 40 yd dash, and is a good slot WR.

Royal signed a 3 year $13.5 million contract with the chargers this year and I sure wouldnt mind taking it over.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/eddie-royal/

Marshall
Jeffery
Royal
Bennett
Knox (possibly)

sounds like a good 5...

What you guys think???

Last edited by Bears54 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Knox will ever play again...I wish him the best, but I just don't see it happening.

And in this scenario what happens to Hester? Back to STs only?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: honestly... Reply with quote

Honestly, unless Hester is going to take a paycut, I would release him. If it was up to me, I would release Weems and give Hester full punt/kickoff return duties and thats it.

But I doubt Hester would want to take a paycut so we would end up releasing him, and give return duties to Weems. I would rather have Eddie Royal playing slot WR than Hester or Bennett
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do we have to offer? We're pretty short on draft picks already.
Nick Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
What do we have to offer? We're pretty short on draft picks already.

I doubt it would take much to pry him from San Diego, to be honest. Is he a candidate to be release in the off-season? The Bears can always wait and just sign him if cut, because let's be honest... this time has slid fast, and I don't think they're making the playoffs. Quite the collapse, but the game against GB was a make-or-break scenario.

Michael Bush also will need to figure out if he can be a goaline back next season or not.... because Forte squandering 3 attempts trying to punch it in against GB isn't going to cut it moving forward. For what the Bears gave Bush, I am highly disappointed with his output an usage.

The idea of acquiring Eddie Royal isn't bad, but it would have to be on the cheap and I don't know if he's a release candidate or not.

I also agree Hester needs to be regulated to special teams duties and take a pay-cut or face a release. (Who cares if he holds a record? He isn't going to make the HOF or anything, and he isn't helping them win right now anyway.)

Weems isn't as good as he was in ATL, but he would suffice in place of Hester.

Then again, Hester could just wind up back next year handling punt return and the occasional offensive play here or there like every season, because he's Devin Hester and the Bears' management sees marketability in him or something.

I also am of the opinion that Knox will not play again. A shame, and obviously I hope he proves me wrong, but I just can't see it. Sad
JPeppers90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be all in for getting Royal... Just don't know how we would do it and is it even possible

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not positive, but I believe if the Chargers release him before X amount of days after the SB (3 or 4 maybe? I don't remember), the cap hit would be about 3mil.

If they keep him around, and then decide to release him at any point after that date, his 2013 cap hit would be 4.5mil.

I could be off here, or completely wrong, but I think that's it.

If I am right I could see the Chargers eating 3mil now, as opposed to keeping him around and eating 4.5 next season or paying him the 7.5 he's owed (in non-guaranteed money) for the duration of the rest of his contract.

Not to mention after Alexander broke out and they have him on the cheap... it's not a horrible time to cut ties with Royal. If they cut him, the Bears could make move- but I wouldn't trade for his current contract. San Diego wouldn't get anything more than a 6th or 7th anyway, if even. I see them cutting him (if what I am thinking above is right- can someone please confirm or help me figure this out?).

Here's his contract, per rotoworld.com if this helps:
3/15/2012: Signed a three-year, $13.5 million contract. The deal contains $6 million guaranteed, *including a $4.5 million signing bonus*. 2012: $1.5 million, 2013: $3 million, 2014: $4.5 million, 2015: Free Agent

*The signing bonus is 1.5 per season, or that's how it was allotted when I saw some stuff on another site. Not sure how they paid it out to him or how much the Bears would be on the hook for should they potentially attempt a trade if the Chargers were not to release him.*

Again, if someone can confirm some of what I typed above, that would be cool.

I can seriously see him being cut at this point. The Chargers are kind of in a rebuilding mode, bringing in new coaches, and as I said, with Danario breaking out like he has (0 catch game or not, he's been great for a street FA and has a nice repertoire with Rivers that developed very quickly and can only go downhill if he gets hurt again- which *is* always possible with D-AX) and him being controlled at a cheap cost, now is a good a time as ever to cut Royal, who did virtually nothing with SD anyway.

But the golden question: will Cutler actually be able to utilize him? Everyone spoke so highly of Bennett (momentarily, that is) and how they had this great relationship/connection from the Vandy days. Obviously Marshall & Cutler have it going on- that can't be denied by anyone with a brain. But is Royal the same player we saw that rookie season? I mean, for what it's worth, Bennett had hands made of glue for a season or two, going 34/34 or something close to that on targets & catches. But the thing is... the Bears simply did not utilize him much, and this was even before Marshall was on board.

So I wouldn't go out of my way to add Royal, but as a FA, he would be a nice signing if he comes cheap.
ak06max

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receiver should be our last worry!! Unless he can play LT LG ,RG or MLB not something I would even look at.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Brandon Marshall can't beat double & triple coverage all of the time, let alone most of the time at all...

The Bears have something in Jeffry- I'm not sure what it is yet, though. I'm not sure if Bennett is the answer in the slot anymore, and I sure as hell know that Hester is nothing more than a one-trick pony whose tricks come every 5th or 6th game and in 30-40 yard bunches at best....
Special teams or just cut him. Seriously. I don't care for records, I want a SB in Chicago.

And I realize Forte could be utilized as a pass-catching RB, but he hasn't been much at all. The offense needs to be revamped quite a bit, starting at the line obviously, but line changing don't dramatically happen overnight or even over an off-season. The Bears' line has notoriously been bad for years though and I do agree that fixing it is priority #1. However, there are holes that can be plugged while doing so without killing the team. We're not going to find a line that gels overnight. I can't even think of the number of different arrangements they must have used over the past 4-5 seasons, LET ALONE just this year!

The line is priority #1 obviously. But there are a lot of other areas that need to either be patched or worked from the ground-up.

Edit: didn't see part of your reply or maybe you edited after I started mine, but an aging LB corps should be of great concern. There's a reason the Niners smoked the Bears, and it wasn't even all on the line, Cutler, or their rookie's excellent play (all of it helped though, obviously)..... what I noticed in that game more than EVER is how old the Bears defense truly is, and eventually the glue isn't going to hold up anymore. The Niners' defense was just so much quicker, and it made our line look even worse than it is (and it's bad, believe me).

The Bears need to prepare for the post-Urlacher/Briggs days, and more so Urlacher obviously.... but they're both old. Briggs is just a freak of nature, but he won't last forever....
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Mitchell wrote:
Not positive, but I believe if the Chargers release him before X amount of days after the SB (3 or 4 maybe? I don't remember), the cap hit would be about 3mil.

If they keep him around, and then decide to release him at any point after that date, his 2013 cap hit would be 4.5mil.

I could be off here, or completely wrong, but I think that's it.

If I am right I could see the Chargers eating 3mil now, as opposed to keeping him around and eating 4.5 next season or paying him the 7.5 he's owed (in non-guaranteed money) for the duration of the rest of his contract.

I'm pretty sure almost all the guaranteed money has been paid out on his contract, which is $6 million ($1.5 mill salary this year + $4.5 million signing bonus). So, if they cut him before roster lockdown next season, the $3 mil prorated signing bonus amount goes against their cap that year, but that's it.

If they trade him before that, the new team assumes the 2 year/$7.5 mill contract, and the $3 mill still goes against the Chargers cap.

If they kept him next year, his cap hit would be $4.5 million, so they would save $1.5 mill against the cap by getting rid of him before the 2013 season.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: We should trade for Eddie Royal...... Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
Ok here me out before you say anything...

We obviously need a slot WR that can stretch the field, run good routes, and someone who has good hands. Eddie Royal was a good target for Cutler when they played together in Denver. It was Royals rookie season and he had 91 catches.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11276/eddie-royal

Devin Hester isn't the answer at slot, who knows if Johnny Knox will ever return to the NFL, Bennett is to slow, and Jeffery cant play the slot.

So what if instead of taking a gamble on drafting a WR in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round and hoping that he will be the answer. Why dont we just trade for Royal and give up a 4th round pick for him. Maybe even a 5th round for him and Royal could be our 5th round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. He is a familar target for Cutler. Royals runs a 4.38 40 yd dash, and is a good slot WR.

Royal signed a 3 year $13.5 million contract with the chargers this year and I sure wouldnt mind taking it over.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/eddie-royal/

Marshall
Jeffery
Royal
Bennett
Knox (possibly)

sounds like a good 5...

What you guys think???

You want to trade a 4th round pick in a draft where we are already short 2 picks and have plenty of needs to fill to bring in a WR who has 131 catches in the past 4 years? Yeah, I cant get on board with that.

Setting aside that taking on the last 2 years of his deal probably isn't in the budget I don't think the difference between what he can provide and what Bennett can provide if both were used properly is nearly worth that. Even if you don't like Bennett, slot receivers are available in FA every year on minimum deals that are far more cap friendly and are just as likely to add value as a guy who hasn't been good since 2008.

2009-present
Bennett 147/1909/7 (51 games)
Royal 131/1261/5 (50 games)

Not sure I understand the "upgrade" beyond Royal apparently being faster.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
Receiver should be our last worry!! Unless he can play LT LG ,RG or MLB not something I would even look at.
Receiver is a huge worry, one of our major worries and will have to be addressed next year. We cannot continue throwing to one receiver. That is a big reason we can't score points.
ShaggyBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:

you forgot C and RT...

ak06max

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaggyBear wrote:
ak06max wrote:

you forgot C and RT...

Yeah I forgot about those.. We cant expect A Jeffery to be a star as a rook but what I have seen so far is enough for a solid #2 as long as he stays healthy. If we get a pass catching TE we are set no need to waste a pick on a trade to get a WR. There are many holes we need to fill before another receiver. The line is the biggest need this offseason then it would go to TE MLB CB and then if we have anything left WR.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a totally great idea bro. Like totally great. Totally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: