Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR Greg Jennings, a Minnesota Viking?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson isn't going to restructure... He JUST signed a massive deal. Allen only has a year left. He's much more likely.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Looking at the numbers, do we realistically have enough cap to make 1 or 2 big splashes in Free Agency?

That is a valid point. As much as I'd like to sign someone like Jennings, we might be better off signing a FA guard and drafting a WR or two. My reasoning is, given roughly equal talent level/age/etc., we might get "more for our money" (so to speak) by signing a position such as G, which doesn't command the big money in FA. Thoughts?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one guard worth signing this year and that is going to drive his price up.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Peterson isn't going to restructure... He JUST signed a massive deal. Allen only has a year left. He's much more likely.

Yeah, Allen will probably be very willing to restructure to get more guaranteed money and a longer contract, so I'd expect that done in the off season, Peterson 2016/17 is when you could see him restructure.

As for having money to sign a big free agent or two, SteelKing question, I think that they will make a mid-ranged splash and work hard to retain Phil Loadholt, so that will cost some money. And for perrynoid, I tend to think they'll bring in a LB with their mid ranged move instead of a OG, but OG could happen.

BigDog74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see them sign two WRs, preferably Jennings (realistic) or Bowe (pipe-dream) and an upside guy. The one guy who really fits that profile for me is Johnny Knox. I know he is still recovering from the nasty broken back and subsequent surgery but he always flashed to me when we played the Bears. He could add a nice deep threat to our corps.

If we don't go after Jennings I wouldn't mind seeing the money go towards a guard. The names that jump out at me there are: Levitre (pipe-dream), Donald Thomas (probably resigned), Ramon Foster (realistic, upgrade?) and Kevin Boothe (realistic and versatile).

We could always save our money, go with Foster or Boothe and Knox and continue to build through the draft which honestly I feel is the most likely scenario although I'd LOVE to have Dwayne Bowe or to a lesser extent Jennings
this providence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't go for a legitimate WR in free agency (which I think would be a massive mistake), the only two names I come back to would be:

William Moore, S | Atlanta (probably a bit of a stretch)
DeAndre Levy, LB | Detroit (who really knows given Detroit's contract situation)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy is a guy who misses a ton of tackles. He has great athleticism, but simply isn't reliable.

He had the fourth worst attempts per missed tackle a year ago.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigDog74 wrote:
The one guy who really fits that profile for me is Johnny Knox. I know he is still recovering from the nasty broken back and subsequent surgery but he always flashed to me when we played the Bears. He could add a nice deep threat to our corps.

i thought he might never play again.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
BigDog74 wrote:
The one guy who really fits that profile for me is Johnny Knox. I know he is still recovering from the nasty broken back and subsequent surgery but he always flashed to me when we played the Bears. He could add a nice deep threat to our corps.

Knox, before his injury, got demoted on the receiver starved Bears teams. No freaking thank you.
BigDog74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
BigDog74 wrote:

He still may never. But if the doctors clear him why not take a shot. With the Bears having alot of money tied up in Marshall and Jeffery emerging, when healthy, they may not attempt to bring him back. Although I think he'd be likely to give them a big time "hometown discount" after the way they've supported him. Plus if Hester retires as he claims he might I'm sure they will at very minimum give him a shot in TC.

Here's an article from a week ago about his future:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/17252613-606/johnny-knox-fights-to-get-back-on-field-with-bears.html
BigDog74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
BigDog74 wrote:

Knox, before his injury, got demoted on the receiver starved Bears teams. No freaking thank you.

I don't want to jack this thread into a Johnny Knox thread....but seriously? Could he be any worse than Jerome Simpson if he is healthy. Yes he got demoted, yes he isn't the greatest route runner, yes he is now an injury concern. But for the type of money he should command wouldn't he be worth a kick of the tires? He'll never be a #1 or even #2 WR in the NFL. But I wouldn't mind a WR corp with a rookie such as Patterson, Harvin, Wright and Knox. Plus Knox could instantly help us on ST which would take some hits off of Harvin's body and allow us to possibly get rid of Sherels. I don't mind Sherels on punts, but he isn't anything on D so it'd open up a roster spot for someone like Blanton in the process.

Say what you will about Knox, but if Spielman is looking for a low risk/high reward signing this off-season similar to Simpson I think Knox would be a great addition at a low price

His career stats:

133 receptions, 2,214 yards, 12 TDs.

That's an average of 44 rec, 738 yards and 4 TDs a year with a nice 16.6 YPC. Add to that his ST ability and I'd gladly take that as a #3 or #4 WR situational deep threat
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knox's numbers are inflated due to the Bears offense and his number of targets. He's got a pathetic catch rate as he barely caught 50% of his targets. He also hasn't had good returning stats since his rookie year.

Blanton being active doesn't have much to do with Sherels. Andrew Sendejo, another safety, is active in lieu of Blanton.

It would be a nice story, but I don't feel he adds anything to this team. He likely wouldn't see the field given the way our offense is run.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Blanton being active doesn't have much to do with Sherels. Andrew Sendejo, another safety, is active in lieu of Blanton.

Furthermore, Blanton was only inactive last week because of the injury concern of Robison, so we needed an extra DE active.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
There is only one guard worth signing this year and that is going to drive his price up.

Are you talking about the Buffalo Guard?

Because I still like Kevin Boothe (Giants Guard) as a stop gap LG for a few years.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going for a stop gap Charlie Johnson or Geoff Schwartz is just fine. If we are looking for an upgrade Andy Levitre is the only one out there that provides a significant upgrade and is prime aged.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 6 of 42

Jump to: