You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR Greg Jennings, a Minnesota Viking?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13157
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
How is two good years out of Jennings not worth it while AP and Allen are around? This would be a good addition, depending on the price.

that's what i thought.

two solid years, and perhaps some mentoring if he's up to it, for all the young bucks around.


I personally just don't think spending big money on a receiver like him for only 2 years is a wise investment.


What would you do instead? A Simpson-like upside signing, and hope that he's good?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35765
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jennings has more than two good years left in him. Reggie Wayne has certainly had a revival season at the ripe age of 34. They are similar receivers that have good success due to their route running ability.

And seriously people.... The commercials.
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 28565
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
What would you do instead? A Simpson-like upside signing, and hope that he's good?


Alongside a draft pick for a WR as well, yes. My personal preference is a guy like Ramses Barden and a draft pick. I'm not in favor of signing a guy on the wrong side of his career with a recent injury history and big money.

rpmwr19 wrote:
I think Jennings has more than two good years left in him. Reggie Wayne has certainly had a revival season at the ripe age of 34. They are similar receivers that have good success due to their route running ability.


Reggie Wayne hasn't had a significant injury in a decade. Jennings has had 2 in the last 2 years. That's a huge difference.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35765
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do agree that Jennings two injuries are a concern it wouldn't prevent me from signing him to a deal similar to the one he has now in terms of AAV.

He's going to come much cheaper than Bowe and Wallace and is a better fit for our offense. Out of the receivers that are going to be available this year he's the best fit, IMO, for this team.
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joru1000


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 3420
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this has been said already, but I just don't see him coming to Minnesota unless we can offer him substantially more than the next team. He'll probably want to go to a place with warm weather or in a big market. He's also been in the NFC North his entire career, and would probably like a change of scenery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13157
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been said already, but I just don't see him coming to Minnesota unless we can offer him substantially more than the next team. He'll probably want to go to a place with warm weather or in a big market. He's also been in the NFC North his entire career, and would probably like a change of scenery.


I actually think the opposite. He's from the NFC North part of the country since birth, so I doubt he cares about big markets or warm weather.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35765
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, if he stays in the North, he will have familiarity with opposing defenses and defensive backs.
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6545
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been said already, but I just don't see him coming to Minnesota unless we can offer him substantially more than the next team. He'll probably want to go to a place with warm weather or in a big market. He's also been in the NFC North his entire career, and would probably like a change of scenery.


I suspect that he will also want to go to a team where the QB situation is a little more settled.

Sad
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35765
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
I suspect that he will also want to go to a team where the QB situation is a little more settled.

Sad

That is a fair point.
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82974
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
I suspect that he will also want to go to a team where the QB situation is a little more settled.

Sad

i think ours is quite settled.

settled to the bottom of the pond type settled.
_________________


Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 52626
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
milanb wrote:
I suspect that he will also want to go to a team where the QB situation is a little more settled.

Sad

That is a fair point.


Teams with settled QB situations also rarely make big free agent acquisitions at the WR position, since it usually isnt necessary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35765
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
milanb wrote:
I suspect that he will also want to go to a team where the QB situation is a little more settled.

Sad

That is a fair point.


Teams with settled QB situations also rarely make big free agent acquisitions at the WR position, since it usually isnt necessary.

For the most part that's true, but...

We went after Bernard Berrian (sadly considered a big free agent acquisition)
Seahawks went after Sidney Rice
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 52626
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
milanb wrote:
I suspect that he will also want to go to a team where the QB situation is a little more settled.

Sad

That is a fair point.


Teams with settled QB situations also rarely make big free agent acquisitions at the WR position, since it usually isnt necessary.

For the most part that's true, but...

We went after Bernard Berrian (sadly considered a big free agent acquisition)
Seahawks went after Sidney Rice


Tarvaris Jackson was the expected starter for both of those teams too. Unsettled QB situations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35765
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
milanb wrote:
I suspect that he will also want to go to a team where the QB situation is a little more settled.

Sad

That is a fair point.


Teams with settled QB situations also rarely make big free agent acquisitions at the WR position, since it usually isnt necessary.

For the most part that's true, but...

We went after Bernard Berrian (sadly considered a big free agent acquisition)
Seahawks went after Sidney Rice


Tarvaris Jackson was the expected starter for both of those teams too. Unsettled QB situations.

My mistake, I read "settled" as "unsettled" in your original post.
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 52626
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make is that teams with established QBs dont need to overpay for a WR on the free agent market. That established QB usually has a good receiving corps already or the team is confident that the QB will succeed with any WR. Therefore, they look to spend money elsewhere.

Its the team with unsettled or unestablished QBs that have more incentive to spend big money on a free agent WR.

Ultimately for Jennings (or Bowe) it will come down to money and the teams most desperate to pay the kind of money, probably wont have established QBs. Just my theory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 3 of 42

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group