Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is this season already a success?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this season already a success?
Yes
95%
 95%  [ 21 ]
No, please explain
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Is this season already a success? Reply with quote

When this season started many of us thought we'd be 6-10 or 7-9 and have ups and downs like the last two seasons. We were either new or young in key positions on offense and we had major holes on our secondary. Us 6-10's thought if our young players just showed improvement we'd be satisfied moving forward for next year. Some thought 8-8 and if Griffin could just prove he could play in the league the season would be considered a success.

We've surpassed mine and some others expectations already. We've met those expectations of being 8-8 and being in the playoff race the last month of the season. We haven't met the expectations of some who thought wed definitely be in the playoffs and be 9-7 or 10-6 but we are close.

My question is, is this season already considered a success in your eyes?

In my eyes, yes it is considered a success. We've proven to have one great young qb and a good young back up behind him. We've found a third young running within two years and this one is more of a workhorse and better than last years two rookies. Our offensive line has played above and beyond my expectations. We've discoverd playmakers in the passing game we weren't sure we had like Aldrick Robinson and Logan Paulsen. Santana moss and Hankerson have bounced back from their injuries of last year to be key contributors to our passing game. And most importantly, our free agent wrs have actually worked out and been our two best options in the passing game for us. We've done all this despite season ending injuries to 3 key offensive players- Brown, Helu and Davis.

On defense we started off with bad news when Chris Neild tore his ACL in camp. Then, Brandon meriweather injured his knee in preseason and was expected to miss a month of the season. Wait, it only got worse for our secondary- we learned Tanard Jackson would be suspended for the year- many thought he'd be our starting FS. Despite the injuries to our projected starting safeties, we played well vs the saints. Then in week 2, we lost two of our best players in Orakpo and Carriker vs the rams. This sent the defense into a tale spin because they were two of our best pass rushers from our front 7 and the other players we had behind them weren't quite ready for prime time yet. Then, Meriweather re-injured his knee in the game he was supposed to come back vs the bucs in a pregame collision with Aldrick Robinson. When Meriweather did come back to play vs the eagles a few weeks later he was amazing and showed us what we'd been missing. He hurt his other knee, it wasn't thought to be serious, but sadly it was the most serious, a torn acl and out for the year. The last thing to slap us in the face was Our nickel cbs 4 game suspension for PED use. This hurt an already thin secondary.

We've lost more on our d than our offense in terms of starters and contributors, but we've had players step up since the bye week and the game plans and play calling has been improved. The D is a major reason why we've gone on this 5 game winning streak playing bend but don't break, still stuffing the run and getting key turnovers when we need them.

Lastly, we found Cobra Kai, finally a young field goal kicker who is consistent and seems like he has a bright, bright future with the club.

I can honestly say, without a doubt that no matter what happenes from here on out this season has been more successful than I ever dreamed it could be.

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.

Thanks! The Future is NOW!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, even if we lose the last two and go 8-8 it's still a 3 win improvement .. That is heading onward and upward and it is a successful season.., However,, as I'm typing this I'm also thinking it is only a successful season--if we make the Playoffs.
I'll stick with my YES, the Playoffs will be the cherry on top.!!
Turtle, you called this from the time Shannahan was hired --I think you said year 4 would be our year and I think we will be a legit SuperBowl threat next year and several years in the future..
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I was expecting more holes to be showing. Thought with Cousins in the backfield it would help expose some of those holes on offense a bit more so they can see how to best address areas.
But all units outside the DBs have performed nicely. Through key injuries and all else. During this win streak theyve really shown me something.

Trinidad: Where you can play dodgeball, jump off a diving board, and call a team the Redskins without the Communist Left sayin otherwise.
DCRED

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Yes and I'll still explain Laughing

We came into the league with more question marks than a Dr. Seuss book

Now we have the
1. Franchise QB
2. Backup QB,
3. RB
4. K
5.#1WR
(and probably #2 and #3) positions all set for years. If we just had those first 5 positions fortified for years to come I would consider that in itself a success. Not many teams have answered all those questions in ONE Off-season.

On top of that, our ROOKIES have played stellar football, might even say carried the team. And for the last several weeks we have seen our team play Football like we haven't seen for yearrsss.
Our Oline is playing well (with young guys developing) too) and our Dline is relatively young and holding its own, and our patchwork Defense has gelled and is doing everything we need of them.

We finally look like a whole TEAM that can beat anybody, but then have enough depth and enough fight to handle adversity in the rough times, and that to me is also success
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only going to talk about this season, not the long term success of this team. While I'd say this season is a success, we have a LONG way to go, my friends. Whether we make the [Woz's least favorite word] or not, we improved on our record by at least 3 wins, and at most 5 (for the regular season, at least). Just look what a franchise QB does for you. Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, and Russell Wilson. All 3 are doing extremely well, despite being rookies.
Roy Helu, Jr: 16 GP, 62 rushes, 274 yards, 4 TDs; 31 catches, 251 yards
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
I'm only going to talk about this season, not the long term success of this team. While I'd say this season is a success, we have a LONG way to go, my friends. Whether we make the [Woz's least favorite word] or not, we improved on our record by at least 3 wins, and at most 5 (for the regular season, at least). Just look what a franchise QB does for you. Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, and Russell Wilson. All 3 are doing extremely well, despite being rookies.

Why?? do we have a LONG way to go ?? I think we're closer than you say. Just getting back the people on our I R makes us much better.. We have 3 young , hopefully developing drafted O-lineman on the roster.
receivers are good, fairly young. T E worries me a bit but there is alwasy something. We'll solve the secondary issues.. not really as bad as it looks .. A LONG way sounds like 3 more seasons or something like that--I don't think so !
DCRED

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:

Why?? do we have a LONG way to go ?? I think we're closer than you say. Just getting back the people on our I R makes us much better.. We have 3 young , hopefully developing drafted O-lineman on the roster.
receivers are good, fairly young. T E worries me a bit but there is alwasy something. We'll solve the secondary issues.. not really as bad as it looks .. A LONG way sounds like 3 more seasons or something like that--I don't think so !

Yes getting back our injured players will be a HUGE Boost! Also our TEAM has shown that when our starters go down we finally have some depth that can come in and compete at multiple positions across the board.

With another draft and FA class plus so many injured players returning we will only get stronger next year.
PSID412

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have shown a fair bit of progess this season and that what I wanted so now let build on this.

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
FosterTheSkins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wait until the seasons over before I answer.
Better run better run faster than RG3.
TKellion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to the predict the schedule thread and you will see I was one of very few that predicted 10-6 or 9-7 and a playoff berth. Cool I can only remember a couple that supported my prediction.The rest of you scoffed at that notion saying we were a 8-8 team at best this year.Most said 6-10 or 7-9.With a win this weekend we will clinch a winning record.Then the rest of you can eat your crow Twisted Evil
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think when we can get Fred Davis, Orakpo and Carriker back and healthy, with a secondary that is actually healthy and not a bunch of misfits running around.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKellion wrote:
Go back to the predict the schedule thread and you will see I was one of very few that predicted 10-6 or 9-7 and a playoff berth. Cool I can only remember a couple that supported my prediction.The rest of you scoffed at that notion saying we were a 8-8 team at best this year.Most said 6-10 or 7-9.With a win this weekend we will clinch a winning record.Then the rest of you can eat your crow Twisted Evil
i just did. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it is,but with tje post season in our own hands. Losing would be a major set back. They need to stay focused,win out!!!!

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
Whether we make the [Woz's least favorite word] or not,

It's not my least favorite word. I like the word very much. I also respect its power too much to use it frivolously.

Quote:
Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, and Russell Wilson. All 3 are doing extremely well, despite being rookies.

This is also an aberrant kind of performance from rookies.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll defer my thoughts on the original question until the new year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: