Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Jennings not expecting GB return in '13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle to see Thompson as a tag and trade kind of guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:

Except he's already done it with Corey Williams.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:

Tag and trade for what - I've seen as high as a 2nd rounder in this forum which is absurd Anyone who thinks any team will pay as high as a 2nd round choice for yes - a #1 receiver - but who is injury prone to get him for only 1 year guaranteed - is driking their own kool aid. Nice thought but it aint going to happen.
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Tag and trade for what - I've seen as high as a 2nd rounder in this forum which is absurd Anyone who thinks any team will pay as high as a 2nd round choice for yes - a #1 receiver - but who is injury prone to get him for only 1 year guaranteed - is driking their own kool aid. Nice thought but it aint going to happen.

I agree. I've got a tough time believing that some team is going to cough up a second round pick for a guy who essentially lost his #1 spot to a second year receiver, and has struggled to stay healthy the last two years. Had he remained healthy and put up a good season, maybe I could see him as a T&T candidate but I just think it's too far fetched.
byzr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:

couldn't disagree more. I would say Jennings is injury prone, this was his first year missing significant time, he's posted 900+ yards every year except this one and his rookie season, and played 13+ games every year as well.
there isn't a better WR in this years draft than Greg Jennings and none of them will produce better for at least 2 years probably. if you put Jennings on any team he will be an impact player.
i think a tag and trade is pretty likely unlike the Matt Flynn case where if we couldn't have unloaded him we wouldn't have been able to use him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:

the most glaring issue with this post is your idea that Jennings would be playing under a one year contract for the team that trades for him. A contract is always a part of the deal in these situations.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of teams willing to pony up a second round pick for a stud WR. There is no wait for development. He's good to go any he isn't an injury prone guy. He's in his prime. This is such a win now league--everyone is looking for instant payoff. Any coach or GM looking for a top 15 WR in this league is going to be calling. That's pretty much everyone minus us. AND we can have a say in where he goes. I sure don't want him going to Minnesota or home to Detroit. I don't even want him in the NFC.

I don't want him back though. His idiot sister burnt that bridge to my heart. He's also always come across as a bit fake to me.
SE500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do you really think GB is going to tag and trade him to some place he possibly doesn't want to be just to get a higher pick? Do you think GB is going to place the tag on him and squeeze another year out of him and offer him no security from injury or his future career with such a short term "rental" year"

Yes, absolutely and why not? Nothing many teams haven't done including Thompson. Exactly what New England did last year and apparently will again do with Wes Welker. The only difference there is New England tagged Welker with the intention of keeping him. What part don't you get? The Packers do not OWE Jennings any special consideration. He's damn lucky to have played here.

I not only think teams would line up to offer a 2nd round pick for Jennings, I think he will bring a bit more. A 2 AND a conditional pick maybe as high as a 3. You can bring Greg Jennings to your team and not even give up a 1st round pick? That is truly a no-brainer for teams like Miami, Indianapolis, Washington, Seattle, Denver etc etc. I sure do not want him to have the opportunity to walk to Chicago or Minnesota.

Tag him TT!!
Unballed Melon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as Brandon Marshall was traded for a pair of 3rds, I don't think 2nd + 3/4/5 would be that difficult to fathom. Especially seeing what the addition of a good receiver has done to the Bears offense that has been lacking one since...forever.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see TT as a tag and trade type guy really. But what about just straight up we put the tag on him. With Driver and Saturday off the books would we be able to afford the $$ involved with a tag? It gives us 1 more year to let Cobb fully develop and possibly draft 1 more WR and give him the ole "redshirt" rookie year. And if we tag him maybe a team like Miami would blow us away with some picks they have aquired from INDY and CHI.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
SE500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't see TT as a tag and trade type guy really. But what about just straight up we put the tag on him."

He isn't a tag and trade guy, most GM's aren't. Although, he's done it before. He's as likely to do it if it makes sense as anybody. It's just that he won't do it if it doesn't make sense, as some will.

You never tag anyone unless you are willing to pay him the money. That's why we did not tag Flynn, no way we were going to pay a backup top QB money. Jennings is worth the 10 mill every bit as much as Wes Welker is if not more. The difference is we wouldn't have to pay him. Somebody else would, and we would take the booty.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:

I remember the Williams situation as one different from Jennings. I remember the Packers having the cap room($20+ million) and gave the initial impression that a long term deal was the goal. Only after the two sides couldn't get any closer was he traded. At least that's how I remembered it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
"I don't see TT as a tag and trade type guy really. But what about just straight up we put the tag on him."

He isn't a tag and trade guy, most GM's aren't. Although, he's done it before. He's as likely to do it if it makes sense as anybody. It's just that he won't do it if it doesn't make sense, as some will.

You never tag anyone unless you are willing to pay him the money. That's why we did not tag Flynn, no way we were going to pay a backup top QB money. Jennings is worth the 10 mill every bit as much as Wes Welker is if not more. The difference is we wouldn't have to pay him. Somebody else would, and we would take the booty.

Yeah, you tag Jennings because you're willing to pay him the $10m for the 2013 season, and you listen to offers just like you listen to offers on everybody else. Maybe Jennings gets traded, maybe not, maybe Jennings gets extended, maybe not.

But I do think he will be tagged, in large part because it would be a mistake not to tag him.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was reading John Clayton's Updated Cap Space
Looking through the teams, I don't see many players in the big FA WR market when they still have to pay their own. It only takes one to make a trade but it takes more then one to drive up the price.

Miami - In need of receivers and a whole lot more
Cincinnati - Needs someone opposite Green and their playoff window is open.
Cleveland - With new management, is the first order of business bringing in an expensive FA WR?
Kansas City - may let Bowe leave but Jennings isn't a typical Reid burner receiver.
Minnesota - Needs another receiver besides Harvin however they both excel in the slot.

With Jennings, Bowe, Wallace and Welker all out there, demand easily outpaces supply. I would hope for the moon in exchange for Jennings but I'm not confident Thompson would sit on that franchise tag money while trying to find a home for Jennings. If Thompson doesn't want to resign Jennings, he'll already have plans for that money and the tag while will prohibit him from being able to pursue those plans and still possibly get stuck holding onto Jennings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

Yeah, you tag Jennings because you're willing to pay him the $10m for the 2013 season, and you listen to offers just like you listen to offers on everybody else. Maybe Jennings gets traded, maybe not, maybe Jennings gets extended, maybe not.

But I do think he will be tagged, in large part because it would be a mistake not to tag him.

I agree with this. Worst case Ontario, you have Greg for one year at the tag amount. By then he is almost 31 years old and you have Cobb and hopefully a rookie that much more ready to go for the future.

I don't buy the argument that no one would trade a 2nd for Jennings though. There would be very strong interest for him on the trade market.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: