Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Jennings not expecting GB return in '13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
Sadly I really don't see him being back next season. He's gonna be 30, command a big $ contract, and the team was productive w/out him. I think TT will attempt to get value for him, but if not he'll walk and GB will get a 3rd rd comp in 2014. I see Philbin and Miami going after him.

GB will have to draft a WR in the first 4 rds then, plus Boykin has done some nice things as a UDFA.

Is 30 all that ancient for a WR? Yes, we were productive with him but our offense is even better with him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
packattack86 wrote:
Sadly I really don't see him being back next season. He's gonna be 30, command a big $ contract, and the team was productive w/out him. I think TT will attempt to get value for him, but if not he'll walk and GB will get a 3rd rd comp in 2014. I see Philbin and Miami going after him.

GB will have to draft a WR in the first 4 rds then, plus Boykin has done some nice things as a UDFA.

Is 30 all that ancient for a WR? Yes, we were productive with him but our offense is even better with him.

It is and it isn't. 30 is a good benchmark point for when those elite twitch speed type skills start to deteriorate. If you sign Jennings to a 4 year contract or so it's going to be based on the player he is right now, and while there is an OK chance you get that year 1, there is little to no chance you get that value year 4.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:

It is and it isn't. 30 is a good benchmark point for when those elite twitch speed type skills start to deteriorate. If you sign Jennings to a 4 year contract or so it's going to be based on the player he is right now, and while there is an OK chance you get that year 1, there is little to no chance you get that value year 4.

Ideally I'd like to sign Jennings to a 2-3 year deal for about 7-8million per. Unfortunately that likely isn't at all what he's looking for (of course).

Just can't see the value giving him more at this point.

I'll be very surprised if he's on our team next year. I'm also getting less and less confident we will tag him. Might just have to grin and bear the loss of Jennings as much as it might suck.
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:

I'll be very surprised if he's on our team next year. I'm also getting less and less confident we will tag him. Might just have to grin and bear the loss of Jennings as much as it might suck.

wont he give us a decent comp pick though? i assume hes going to get a nice deal by another team... & TT probably isn't bringing in a comparable free agent

so were probably looking at a 3rd rounder?
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

wont he give us a decent comp pick though? i assume hes going to get a nice deal by another team... & TT probably isn't bringing in a comparable free agent

right, but that would be in 2014 as well.
British

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
driftwood wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

right, but that would be in 2014 as well.

And right at the end of the 3rd round.

Not to mention, if we happen to make any free agent moves ourselves (unlikely I know) then that could affect it.

Do we all agree that tagging Jennings seems far more likely than using it on Flynn last year?
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
Do we all agree that tagging Jennings seems far more likely than using it on Flynn last year?

MORE likely, maybe but still I'd say 60/40 we don't use it if we cut Finley and 80/20 if we keep him.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this offense clicks well for the next 3 games and we WIN the Superb Owl, then we have to tag him right? God wouldn't let that offense break itself up!!!
SDN40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:

I'll take a different view and say the chances of tagging Jennings are near zero. As fans we selfishly see it as a way to keep him for one more year. But it would really be doing a dis-service to Jennings because not only do you have the career ending injury scenario, but you also put him on the street at age 31. While all is fair in love and war, my guess is that this organization wouldn't do that to him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing and I wonder if anyone knows what I'm talking about. When they were redoing the CBA, they mostly overhauled the franchise tag rules, I thought somewhere in those changes they wrote in rules purposely geared at curbing tag and trade. Did anything get written in or was that just a preliminary idea floated around?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
British wrote:

I'll take a different view and say the chances of tagging Jennings are near zero. As fans we selfishly see it as a way to keep him for one more year. But it would really be doing a dis-service to Jennings because not only do you have the career ending injury scenario, but you also put him on the street at age 31. While all is fair in love and war, my guess is that this organization wouldn't do that to him.

I actually meant to say tag and trade. I think the ideal scenario is tagging and trading him to a team like Miami for a 2nd. As the best WR on the market there would be a demand. He would get a new contract out of it so wouldn't be on the street at 31 or have to play under the tag, and we'd be able to use the cap space.

I've not heard of any new rule changes on it.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennings has been a great locker room guy, a loyal veteran, and an integral part of a Superbowl championship with this team. Do you really think GB is going to tag and trade him to some place he possibly doesn't want to be just to get a higher pick? Do you think GB is going to place the tag on him and squeeze another year out of him and offer him no security from injury or his future career with such a short term "rental" year?

You think it would be wise for this staff to put the boots to a veteran personality like Jennings? Think that would be good for the locker room or future contracts?

If Jennings is gone, he's walkin out the door with TT's blessing.

(and no, Favre isn't comparable.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
Jennings has been a great locker room guy, a loyal veteran, and an integral part of a Superbowl championship with this team. Do you really think GB is going to tag and trade him to some place he possibly doesn't want to be just to get a higher pick? Do you think GB is going to place the tag on him and squeeze another year out of him and offer him no security from injury or his future career with such a short term "rental" year?

You think it would be wise for this staff to put the boots to a veteran personality like Jennings? Think that would be good for the locker room or future contracts?

I don't think we would tag him aggressively. I think if we tag him it is with the understanding we will only trade him to teams he is ok going to and working out a contract with.

Under those conditions, I think GJ (and everyone else) would understand the deal from the front offices side and not be all that upset. It is a business afterall.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

I don't think we would tag him aggressively. I think if we tag him it is with the understanding we will only trade him to teams he is ok going to and working out a contract with.

Under those conditions, I think GJ (and everyone else) would understand the deal from the front offices side and not be all that upset. It is a business afterall.

Everyone is forgetting that part, that everyone understands, regardless of what is said out loud, that it does come down to business. GJ was well aware of this scenario when he signed his last contract. Neither outcome would surprise me all.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
British wrote:

Why would guaranteeing Greg Jennings a whole lot of money via the franchise tag be a disservice to him? It's not like Greg Jennings hasn't been fairly compensated for his service to the Packers so far.

It's not like you don't engage in a standard, reasonable, and fair business practice because you like the guy.

I personally would put money on Jennings being tagged, and then possibly traded.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: