Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do with Matt Flynn...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: What to do with Matt Flynn... Reply with quote

Should we keep him incase Wilson goes down with an injury or starts playing poorly? Or should we trade him and his big contract away and solidify Wilson as our QB of the future?

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
imani

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trade for a third rounder+

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
C-Hawkin'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? The contract's not THAT big & who do we have as backup if RW does go down (& don't ALL QB's go down sooner or later?)- Josh Portis?
I like the kid, but he's pretty obviously not on PC/JS's top ten.
TheoryofSeahawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep him for insurance purposes through next year when his contract runs out. I don't think we have any major contracts up at the end of this year. Unless the FO is going to go out and spend big money on a FA and Flynns contract will hinder that, then I see no reason to get rid of him. Maybe if a team offers us a 1st round pick then I'd say trade him. Anyone know what the teams salary cap will look like this offseason?
Tooki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might as well keep him unless we have money issues (which I don't forsee. I do believe that our big FA period comes up in 2014, when we need to resign the 2010 rookies (Which I see us sorting out to some extent before FA starts).

If we also get a great offer like a 1st or 2nd rounder, we should go for it straight away.
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of thinking the same, but I'm also curious as to how Wilson would play if the Hawks traded Flynn away. That move would show how much commitment Seattle has to him.

But then again, I might be wrong and Wilson might not play any different at all Confused

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
silus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really up to Matt Flynn. His agent will force a trade and the Seahawks will comply, or he will settle into a backup job...again. Its tough to think what will go on in his head this off-season. He got beat out by a rookie. What does that do to your ego? But he's getting paid very well, which may prevent a trade unless he restructures. But backing up a running QB you have to think your opportunity will come.
Boom!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Russell Wilson isn't a running QB.

I honestly think RW will be starting for the Jets next season. I could see it happening.

Legion of Boom!
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're not gonna play Flynn, trade him. It just makes sense. It's stupid to keep a backup who is making more than the starter. It's also not fair to Flynn, since he came here to be the starter and he wasn't even given a chance.

Trade him, because we could get a high pick for him. There are a lot of teams that need an immediate starter at QB and this is gonna be a poor year to draft a starting QB. The best QB's in college are mostly Freshmen and Sophomores. I could see a team like the Chiefs, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles or Cardinals paying upwards of a 2nd round pick for Flynn. He should be starting next year. Why waste that pick by keeping Flynn and sitting him on the bench.

If you can get a high pick, take it and draft a late rounder to backup Wilson, since Pete has no intentions of using Flynn anyway. We could then turn around and use that pick to draft a WR, OLB or RT, one of the positions of immediate need.
klyon7634

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom! wrote:

I honestly think RW will be starting for the Jets next season. I could see it happening.

RW starting for the Jets next season??? How can you see that happening????

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you trade him, but not for the betterment of the organization but because we owe it to him if another team wants him to start at QB. I don't think it would be fair to give him a shot to start when he's like 29 when I truly believe he is starter quality.

He didn't lose the job, RW just flat out won it. He's better for our offense. Flynn can still start somewhere, and I truly believe that.

Trade him for a 2nd or 3rd to a team that desperately wants a QB.

"We all we got, we all we need"
imani

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klyon7634 wrote:
Boom! wrote:

RW starting for the Jets next season??? How can you see that happening????

i think he means flynn...or i hope so

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEEP HIM!!!!

Look we are spending roughly $7-8 million a year on QBs. Half of what elite QBs are going for. Last year we spent that much on Clip board Jesus and Tjack. Same price tag 100 times worse. Plus the insurance argument. Im on board with that too.

Trading him would mean that the pick we get for him would need to be spent on another QB to back up Wilson.

Correct me if Im wrong but Wilson and Flynn will be FA the same year?
Sacks98

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
If we're not gonna play Flynn, trade him. It just makes sense. It's stupid to keep a backup who is making more than the starter. It's also not fair to Flynn, since he came here to be the starter and he wasn't even given a chance.

Trade him, because we could get a high pick for him. There are a lot of teams that need an immediate starter at QB and this is gonna be a poor year to draft a starting QB. The best QB's in college are mostly Freshmen and Sophomores. I could see a team like the Chiefs, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles or Cardinals paying upwards of a 2nd round pick for Flynn. He should be starting next year. Why waste that pick by keeping Flynn and sitting him on the bench.

If you can get a high pick, take it and draft a late rounder to backup Wilson, since Pete has no intentions of using Flynn anyway. We could then turn around and use that pick to draft a WR, OLB or RT, one of the positions of immediate need.

Flynn was given the chance he just got beat out by Russell Wilson he will probably get cut no team really looked at him besides us and the Dolphins just don't see the trade value.
JJ89

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:

Flynn was given the chance he just got beat out by Russell Wilson he will probably get cut no team really looked at him besides us and the Dolphins just don't see the trade value.

What??? I completely disagree..

How does "Loosing" the job to Wilson give him no trade value? Do you think Wilson is that bad?

I'm not sure about the argument about "loosing" the job

Flynn was injured and couldn't start so Wilson had to be the starter, nobody knows who would've started if Flynn didn't get injured and Wilson showed more than enough to remain the starter - so it isn't fair to hold the "loosing" the job thing against Flynn's value.

There are a lot of teams with questionable QB situations out there.

Jags, Chiefs, Eagles, Bills, Vikings, Cardinals, Jets - all potential teams looking for a QB. The draft this year doesn't even come close to comparing to the Qb class of last year. All this equals greater demand and less supply. I definitely see a market for him this year.

If he doesn't draw attention I can't see why you would cut him? Let him stay until his contract ends, we can afford it. He provides great insurance if anything happened to Russ or if his play fell off a cliff next year.. Furthermore we would properly spend a draft pick on a new backup QB if Flynn is cut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: