Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Zoom's Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Zoom's Mock Offseason Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER: This is not my dream scenario, this is a mix of what I want and what I see realistically happening. There are some moves (or non-moves) that I am not a fan of, but I think are probably going to happen.

I will do an updated version sometime after the combine, when I have a more accurate idea of when the rookies will be projected to go.

Staff:
HC-Dennis Allen: There is no way Reggie fires him after 1 season
OC-Greg Knapp: I just dont see either Allen or McKenzie moving on yet
DC- Jason Tarver: We need to see what he can do with some better talent

Cuts:
-Kelly: too expensive, on the decline, and he's a bonehead. If we are rebuilding, we need to clean up around here.
-Heyward-Bey: He's improved a lot and has been a good contributer the last 2 years, but he is not worth the $7.7M he is due in 2013.
-Goethel: Dude is on the IR. Again. I would have kept him for depth, but they will find another young guy who can get on the field to replace him.
-Smith: Just not a good player. I dont even want him as a backup.
-Pryor: He hasnt improved enough. I have us taking a QB later in the draft and dont think it would be wise to roll with Pryor and a rookie as your backups.

Don't Re-Sign:
-Seymour: His time here is up. He is getting older, costs too much, and we just need to redesign our interior D-line.
-Shaugnessy: I've always liked Shaggy, but I dont think there will be much of a place for him in 2013 as I have us taking a RE and Houston will play LE.
-Lechler: I'm a bit sad to see him go, but we have a cheaper option in King. A great punter can be underappreciated, but it really doesnt do us enough good to justify his salary.
-Leinart: He isnt good and was only here for his familiarity with the system. Now that Palmer has a year in the system, no need for Matt to stick around.
-Carlisle: I'm pretty sure we are all OK with seeing him move on.
-Spencer: Just didnt play that well, even when healthy.
-Cumbie: There wont be room for him any longer.
-Mitchell: Would have some good games against TE's, then suck. Never really put it all together.
-Giordano: Should never be a starter, OK as a backup, but we will be replacing him via FA/draft.
-Hurd: Upgrades along the line in FA/draft make him disposable.

Re-Sign:
-Myers: Unspectacular, but solid. Palmer relied on him heavily and he catches just about everything thrown his way. He wont cost us much and we wouldnt find anything ebtter for less money elsewhere.
-Goodson: fits well in our offense, will continue to serve as a good backup/spell.
-Adams: really played well this year and came up with some big plays, he will be a cheap re-sign and provide depth and could be counted on to start if need be.
-Bryant: Nice rotational player, can play DT and DE.
-Gaither: Depth
-Hanson: Looked good some games, meh others, but provides depth and experience nonetheless.
-Stewart: He did OK, nothing to write home about, but he will be super cheap and we need bodies at RB.
-Wheeler: A lot of people dont like him, but he played better than most players on our defense. Even if that isnt saying much, I dont see a reason to add yet another hole to fill when we can keep him pretty cheap.
-Parsons: Depth, can play multiple positions along the OL.
-Carter: He has lost a step or two, but he is still a decent DE. He provides a rotational body with plenty of experience and still has a little left in the tank.
-Burnett: Depth
-Barnes: Dont yell at me, this is purely a depth move. He is not good, but he is cheap, knows our system, and provides us a tackle that can backup either side of the line if need be.

Trade:
-McFadden for 3rd and 5th round picks. Possible trade partners: CIN, AZ, ATL, DAL, NYJ, PIT, STL
-McClain for a 6th round pick. Possible trade partners: AZ, BAL, PIT, HOU

Free Agency:
-Levitre, G: Good player who will solidify our G position opposite Brisiel
-Dorsey, DT: Has disappointed in KC, but was never a fit for the 3-4, but he was a force as a 4-3 DT at LSU. His failures in KC should temper the amount of money he can get in FA.
-Jenkins, CB: On his way out of Dallas. He never lived up to his draft status, but he would improve our CB corps.
-Ivory, RB: New Orlean's backfield is just too crowded. Sproles is their playmaker, Thomas is always solid, and Ingram is coming around. He would give us a big back that will compliment our other RBs.
-Peprah, S: A lot of us wanted him after GB cut him, now we bring him in. He will provde depth for our secondary.
-Gradkowski, QB: We all remember him. He is a good backup, which is exactly what we need with a rookie QB 3rd on the depth chart.

Draft:
NOTE: In the spirit of remaining realistic, I did not trade down in this mock. While I would love to in real life, there is just no way to know what pick we will have, who will want it, and who will be available.

1) Bjoern Werner, DE, FSU 6'4", 255 lbs
I was going back and forth between him and Moore, who seems a bit more consistent. However, I like Wernerís non-stop motor and ferocious style. He has good burst and is a good against the run as well, so he can stay on the field for all 3 downs. Werner gives us a much needed pass rush presence. QBs will no longer look forward to their games against us.

3) Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia 6'6", 310 lbs
He is a good in pass protection and alright in the run game. He may project better as a LT, but having two guys who can play LT is OK with me. He is athletic enough to play in the ZBS. His major problem is inconsistency, but he has all the tools. A definite upgrade over Barnes.

3) Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma 6'4" 229 lbs
Jones is a 4 year starter with the size and arm you look for in an NFL QB. He has a good release and velocity, and runs through his progressions well. He is also mobile enough to run when needed. He comes from a spread offense and needs to work on his footwork like most rookies. He needs to learn to read a defense and sometimes holds onto the ball rather than throwing it away, and he has to get better at keeping the ball up while making his reads. These are things that can be improved upon with a year or two as a backup.

4) Tom Wort, MLB, Oklahoma 6'0" 237 lbs
Terrible name, pretty good MLB. He is no super athlete, but can be on the field for all 3 downs, as he is good in coverage. He could probably beat out Gaither and start in the middle of the defense.

5) Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia 6'6" 350 lbs
He is not just a big fat body, he is actually a good player. He wont offer much in terms of pass rush, but thatís not what we need him for anyway. Georgia happens to have a lot of good DTs, causing Geathers to be part of a DT rotation, which hopefully causes him to slip to the 5th.

6) Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU 5'9", 174 lbs
He gives us something we havenít had in our defensive backfield in years-a playmaker. Mathieu has a nose for the ball and a knack for making big plays. He is a little guy, but plays big and very aggressively. He coould be an ideal nickel CB- his quickness and change of direction ability would be good against slippery slot WRs. He carries some risk, but if he lasts till the 6th itís a risk Iím willing to take.

7) John Boyett, S, Oregon 5'10", 205 lbs
His injury drops him right into our lap here. Boyett has been a playmaker in Eugene since day 1. Think of him as a slower Tyvon Branch who is better in coverage. He isnít really fast, but he has very good instincts and was a leader on the Ducks defense.

7) Zaviar Gooden, OLB, Missouri 6'2", 230 lbs
Donít know a whole lot about Gooden, but he put together 3 solid seasons in Missouri. He is really just a depth/ST pick.

Roster:
QB-Palmer, Gradkowski, Jones
RB-Ivory, Goodson, Stewart, Jones
FB-Reece
WR-Moore, Streater, Ford, Criner, Hagan
TE-Myers, Ausberry, Gordon
OT- Veldheer, Aboushi, Barnes
OG-Levitre, Brisel, Bergstrom, Nix
OC-Wiz, Parsons
DE- Werner, Houston, Carter, Crawford, Tollefson
DT-Dorsey, Bryant, Bilukidi, Geathers
LB-Wheeler, Wort, Burris, Gaither, Burnett, Gooden
CB-Jenkins, Hanson, Adams, Chekwa, Ross, Mathieu
FS-Huff, Boyett
SS-Branch, Peprah
K-Janikowski
P-King
LS-Condo

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that

Last edited by ZoomWaffle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reserved for updates.

La_Vader wrote:
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you just straight up cut DHB? Or atleast give him a chance to restructure if he wants to stay on the team?

Not sure how I'd feel about a 4th round rookie starting at MLB but hey, I guess we did that with Burris this year and it wasn't too bad.

Hopefully we don't keep Knapp.

I also think Lechler is done here, time to move on with the younger, fresher leg.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
PSN: KDubBallin
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I think Mitchell has played well enough recently to warrant another year on the roster. Too early to give up on him IMO.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
PSN: KDubBallin
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
Would you just straight up cut DHB? Or atleast give him a chance to restructure if he wants to stay on the team?

Not sure how I'd feel about a 4th round rookie starting at MLB but hey, I guess we did that with Burris this year and it wasn't too bad.

I also think Lechler is done here, time to move on with the younger, fresher leg.

I would be OK with restructuring, but for the sake of simplicity I just cut him. I didnt want to try to figure out how to restructure and how much it would cost and all that. I wouldnt be opposed to trading him, either, but I dont think we would get much.

I dont want to keep Knapp either, but I just have a feeling Reggie and Allen will keep their staff together for another year. If they dont make strides in year 2, then I could see some changes happening.

La_Vader wrote:
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
Also, I think Mitchell has played well enough recently to warrant another year on the roster. Too early to give up on him IMO.

I dont disagree, but I like Peprah and Boyett better at S, and didnt want to take a roster spot from anywhere else.

La_Vader wrote:
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom's Mock Offseason Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Staff:

ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom's Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Staff:

Haha, I knew this was coming. Thats why I put the disclaimer at the top. This is what I think is likely to happen, with realistic signings and picks. I just dont see Knapp getting fired yet, even though we pretty much all want someone new.

La_Vader wrote:
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom's Mock Offseason Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Staff:

Haha, I knew this was coming. Thats why I put the disclaimer at the top. This is what I think is likely to happen, with realistic signings and picks. I just dont see Knapp getting fired yet, even though we pretty much all want someone new.

Laughing
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Mckenize say in his interview that he regrets or in future will have a bigger say in who Allen picks on his staff? If he did say it then it seems pretty clear that he's not happy with Knapp or Tarver - obviously if I had to pick one I'd guess Knapp.
holyghost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while I thought McKenzie would keep Knapp on, but honestly I think Knapp is gone. I think Reggie sees clearly that the offense hasn't progressed, and the KC game is a clear indicator of it. He gave Allen the latitude to pick his own staff, Knapp wasn't a McKenzie choice and he has the authority to remove him from the equation. I think he will honestly.
If the KC game hadn't played out the way it did maybe I would think differently. But 5 FGs and 1 FG miss while the defense appeared to make strides (Tarver boost) and the team played hard (Allen boost).. It leaves it all at the feet of Knapp. I don't think personnel or scheme change is as much of a rational excuse for lack of success on the offensive side of the ball. And even though our line and playmakers failed to execute for the large part of the year, even adequately, it still falls on Knapp in a number of ways.

I'm not sure that means a return to power scheme or moving away from ZBS. I think ZBS suits McKenzie honestly, as far as helping gather personnel and making that easier. But I think he will see Knapp is not necessarily the guy to run it for him.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he fires Knapp I will be ecstatic. I just got the impression that he would maintain continuity. However, I didnt see his quote about hiring power and whatnot. When I do my updates in a few months I'll try to guage it better and possible think of an OC if it looks like he will be gone. Hopfeully if we are getting a new OC, its done before the draft. I would hate to draft ZBS/WCO players only to hire a new OC who changes either of those.

La_Vader wrote:
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Knapp was kept around, as scary as that sounds. With that said, I think it's becoming more clear & clear to Reggie that Knapp should go. Tarver is the keeper IMO.

A few things I don't like:

- RB situation. Way too mediocre & inexperienced. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like I hear Ivory's name way too often on here. He's nothing special. Goodson has been nice, but he's too injury prone to be relied on much. Jones, the staff doesn't like him. I'd much rather just keep DMC if these were the guys we'd use instead.

- Houston at RE. I don't like him at that spot. I'd much rather have a more pure pass rusher at RE and keep Houston at LE where he can contain the run & apply pressure from the right side. I like Werner, but only if we trade down. He's not a top 5 pick in my eyes.

Not too big on the players you chose in the draft, but it addresses some of our needs. Looking at the depth chart, our defense still looks very bad, but you can't fix everything in 1 offseason so it's understandable. To be honest, I think our DT & LB group got worse. Overall, I give you props for not getting carried away, but I think you tried too hard not to get carried away to make more improvements. I have a feeling Reggie will be very active, even with our current cap situation.

Also, you have Moore listed as the DE on your depth chart, but you have us picking Werner. Wink
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
RaisinBran wrote:

I would be OK with restructuring, but for the sake of simplicity I just cut him. I didnt want to try to figure out how to restructure and how much it would cost and all that. I wouldnt be opposed to trading him, either, but I dont think we would get much.

I dont want to keep Knapp either, but I just have a feeling Reggie and Allen will keep their staff together for another year. If they dont make strides in year 2, then I could see some changes happening.

you cut dhb but dont bring any other wrs

cant really count on ford to be healthy
i hope moore is just in a soph slump
i dont like our wr situation in your mock

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
RaiderX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Knapp, getting nothing for DHB, not upgrading the LB depth...

I like the first 3 or 4 picks in the draft. Definitely not against taking Honey Badger with how well Jenkins has played in St. Louis.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: