Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why is our Offense not the NFC's New England?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tooltrip

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Why is our Offense not the NFC's New England? Reply with quote

I work in a sports office in Vegas and watch almost every NFL game all year. I have a pretty good handle on all 32 rosters and GB+NE are very similar:

over the past few seasons:
HOF QB's (push)
below avg RB's (edge to NE)
elite WR's/TE's (edge to GB)
below avg OL (when healthy edge to GB)
-also similar playcalling styles with multiple spread/bunch formations that stress spreading you out and letting your elite QB pick them apart.

Yet, when you watch the teams play...NE just breezes up and down the field. Any time they need 9-12 yards its an easy completion over the middle. When Brady has it 3rd and 6 you feel so confident that they convert it, but for Rodgers its always 50-50. It just feels like its way harder than it needs to be. Where are the easy releases for cobb/jennings over the middle? Why cant we use Finley like Hernandez?
NE has these route combinations that create guys running WIDE OPEN and Rodgers is always forcing it into the tight window.

The loss was on the D but our "elite" offense certainly didn't help. When the game went 7-7 and we were about to take our first offensive snaps with 6m in the first Q, I wasn't cheering for points. I was cheering for 2-3 first downs, some rest for a D that had already played 20 snaps. Instead we go 3 and out. Same thing to start the 2h. D played well in the 3rd and offense generates 3 points...what gives Mac?

Why can't Mac study NE tape and mold our O to what's had huge success for 3+ seasons? We have the same talent. What is our offensive identity? The back-shoulder pass? did we even throw any vs SF?

Frustrated die-hard GB fan,
Jordan

PS, fire Dom Capers. There's a difference between losing the game and giving up historic yardage/point totals.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no comparison to New England's OL and Green Bay's. Vollmer and Solder are excellent OT's. I'd take both over Bulaga easily. Then they had Koppen at center for awhile and our guards are better, but not noticeably. Brady always has a lot of time to make decisions in the pocket.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly believe injuries and having guys in and out of the lineup hurt our production at times and it was magnified in the SF game. It isn't easy to have good chemistry when Jennings and Nelson miss multiple games. I don't think we had both of them in the lineup at the same time very often at all. Our O line had issues. How many times did we have to reshuffle the guys when our center got old overnight or when we lost our RT? We also had a revolving door at RB. It is difficult to have consistency with all of that going on. I don't know what kind of injury issues NE had besides their TE. If their O line was intact all season that can make a difference too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
I truly believe injuries and having guys in and out of the lineup hurt our production at times and it was magnified in the SF game. It isn't easy to have good chemistry when Jennings and Nelson miss multiple games. I don't think we had both of them in the lineup at the same time very often at all. Our O line had issues. How many times did we have to reshuffle the guys when our center got old overnight or when we lost our RT? We also had a revolving door at RB. It is difficult to have consistency with all of that going on. I don't know what kind of injury issues NE had besides their TE. If their O line was intact all season that can make a difference too.

Bingo, this timez a million, its easy to insert one guy into a lineup like NE has very few injuries it seems, while we have to deal with a lot. Also they seem to address their oline like we do with our receiver core. Lots of early picks spent there and it show as Brady has the most time in the league.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New England has their days or seasons where the offense just hasn't clicked. It's a constant shifting process but Green Bay is in that class offensively.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
New England has their days or seasons where the offense just hasn't clicked. It's a constant shifting process but Green Bay is in that class offensively.

Bingo, 31 other teams want to be NE, twenty something teams want to be Green Bay. Offensively of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Bay's offense sets records last year and this year it is just not setting records. Green Bay had no problem "breezing" up and down the field last year. This year they battles a total lack of continuity due to injuries. If you keep this same offense relatively healthy, it returns to setting records. New England really does not have anything over Green Bay except on the o-line. I think the oline for the Pack will actually be a strength next year as well if it is healthy.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
Green Bay's offense sets records last year and this year it is just not setting records. Green Bay had no problem "breezing" up and down the field last year. This year they battles a total lack of continuity due to injuries. If you keep this same offense relatively healthy, it returns to setting records. New England really does not have anything over Green Bay except on the o-line. I think the oline for the Pack will actually be a strength next year as well if it is healthy.

I agree, but that was last years offense, MM said something to the extent of, they changed the way they call game and operate because the offense scored so quickly it hurt the defense. I just think our defense sucked personally, and I think MM need to re-evaluate any changes he made from last year to this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at this year's D compared to last year's D I can see a lot of improvement. It isn't like TT will have to spend all but 2 picks on D this go-around. We just need a little more speed at LB and a disruptive force on the line and a safety. That and getting our injured guys back will make a world of difference in 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OLs is the difference. The OT in NE are very very good, while GB couldn't buy a break up front.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
If you look at this year's D compared to last year's D I can see a lot of improvement. It isn't like TT will have to spend all but 2 picks on D this go-around. We just need a little more speed at LB and a disruptive force on the line and a safety. That and getting our injured guys back will make a world of difference in 2013.

I pretty much agree with you. I would love to see TT pick up a good DE in free agency and allow Daniels and Worthy and even Neal develop some more this offseason. LB's are in decent shape, if healthy, but the Packers can use another speed rusher becuase the ranks got real thin once Perry went down and even worse when Mathews went down. I'm not sure what I think about more safeties because if the Packers draft a safety it will have to be pretty high because they have quality 4th round pick talent on the team now. I thought the 49ers game was about bad coaching as much as bad performance. Capers just would not adjust to that read option play and their QB torched us.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest difference between NE and GB's offense this year was commitment to the run. BB surprised people and shifted to more of a balanced attack. Teams can't sit back in cover two against them all day like they can the Packers. MM went the other direction, and got even more pass happy. MM would be wise to study what BB did this year, and then try to implement some of it.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I pretty much agree with you. I would love to see TT pick up a good DE in free agency and allow Daniels and Worthy and even Neal develop some more this offseason. LB's are in decent shape, if healthy, but the Packers can use another speed rusher becuase the ranks got real thin once Perry went down and even worse when Mathews went down. I'm not sure what I think about more safeties because if the Packers draft a safety it will have to be pretty high because they have quality 4th round pick talent on the team now. I thought the 49ers game was about bad coaching as much as bad performance. Capers just would not adjust to that read option play and their QB torched us.

The ranks usually get thin when you lose your top 2 OLBs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is our Offense not the NFC's New England? Reply with quote

tooltrip wrote:
PS, fire Dom Capers. There's a difference between losing the game and giving up historic yardage/point totals.

This.
persiandud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't compare NE to GB. They have a stud running back and a better OL. They basically do whatever they want to teams. Not to mention their no-huddle tempo is perfect.

If GB wants to emulate NE's offense, i'm all for it. As long as we get the pieces (upgrade OL, find a stud RB).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: