Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.11.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.11.0 Reply with quote

My therapy after a disappointing loss. Tweaked my last one just a touch!

Scenario:
~We are awarded a 4th round compensatory pick for Matt Flynn

Released/Not resigned/Retired:
~Charles Woodson
~Greg Jennings
~Cedric Benson
~Donald Driver
~Jeff Saturday

Resigned:
~Evan Dietrich Smith

~Sam Shields

~Erik Walden

~Tom Crabtree

The Draft:
With the 25th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Giovani Bernard RB North Carolina
5’10” 205 lbs. 4.52/40

An electric playmaker who is fast as lightning, and so elusive!

A good receiver out of the backfield, and can return punts. Might be the shot in the arm our offense needs.

With the 57th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Matt Elam S Florida
5’10” 205 lbs. 4.50/40

For some reason, the Safety class has gone largely ignored. Considering we have a need for a Safety, there might be excellent value to take one this early. Elam is an outstanding in coverage, but he’s even a little bit better as a imposing physical tackler.

I’m looking for difference makers in Round 2. Elam might be the biggest.

With the 89th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State
6’6” 255 lbs. 4.69/40

Put up big numbers for the Aztecs his sophomore and junior season. Has great size, speed, route running and hands and should be a great target for Rodgers. I look at what NE is doing with Gronkowski and Hernandez, and I think between Escobar, Quarless, Finley and Williams, we should have two rise to the top and duplicate what those guys are doing.

With the 125th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Quinton Patton WR Louisiana Tech
6’2” 195 lbs. 4.58/40

Put up big numbers at La Tech, and is another mid-round prospect who could play a key role for us. Could go a long way towards replacing Jennings and Driver. Big, strong, fast and good after the catch.

Should be a steal.

With the 134th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Brandon Williams DE/DT Missouri Southern
6'2" 328 lbs. 5.20/40

I just don't see another mid level DL I like as much as this guy.

Williams is both a pass rusher and space eater and gives us flexibility to use him in both base and Nickel. He can play both LDE and RDE and really could be a big time steal.

Strong as a bull, athletic, nimble and a damn fine pass rusher this kid could be the diamond in the rough you look for in Round 4.

With the 164th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Rontez Miles S California (PA)
6’1” 206 lbs. 4.56/40

Physical, versatile and an absolute demon on special teams. A steal this late.

With the 182nd pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Chad Bumphis WR Mississippi State
5’10” 200 lbs. 4.49/40

Productive, yet undersized SEC receiver and punt returner for Miss St. Could replace Boykin for the last WR spot on the roster.

With the 210th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Dustin Hopkins K Florida State
6’2” 190 lbs.

Consistent 75% FG kicker in college has hit beyond 50 yards several times throughout his career. A good prospect to challenge Crosby for his starting job.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
SE500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice draft overall, although I like a DE and C early personally.

I don't think Williams lasts that long but a no brainer if so.

I really don't think Finley is back, and the only way is if he'd renegotiate a very reasonable deal. I also think Jennings will be tagged and traded. Better deal keeping Jennings for a year at 10 mill if we must than Finley at 8. We wouldn't be keeping him though, he would be traded.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:

I don't think Williams lasts that long but a no brainer if so.

I really don't think Finley is back, and the only way is if he'd renegotiate a very reasonable deal. I also think Jennings will be tagged and traded. Better deal keeping Jennings for a year at 10 mill if we must than Finley at 8. We wouldn't be keeping him though, he would be traded.

~Thank you for the kind words. The thing that excites me about this mock is Bernard. Could be a difference maker for our offense and a damn return man to boot!
~Williams won't last til the 4th? Why do you say that?
~In this era it makes no sense to tag and trade. We should get just as much if not more in compensatory picks
~I have no doubt that Finley will have to renegotiate, that doesn't mean we will cut and resign him though

I Am Rodgers wrote:
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:

Agreed. Big question marks that I'd like to see addressed.

Good draft overall tho, your best so far this season. Bernard and Harris would be fun to watch! Every prospect on here would be a good pickup for the Pack and I love the guys in rounds 1-4.

Constructive criticism:

Flip Patton and Escobar. Think it's much more likely Patton goes in the 3rd and Escobar in 4th than the other way around.

Why double up on safety? With Burnett, Elam, McMillian, Jennings and (maybe) Richardson where is Miles going to play, even with Woodson gone? Personally, I'd rather see a pass rusher, ILB, or C prospect in that slot.

Again, why use a pick on a second WR? Yes, Jennings and Driver are gone but didn't we keep Boykins on the roster for that very reason? Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Patton and Boykin is pretty damn solid IMO. Plus we have Ross, who I think makes the team before Bumphis does (ultimately neither make it tho)

Yuck on Hopkins. TT values his picks too much to waste one on a kicker that might not even make the roster. I see the need with Crosby sucking, but we'll probably bring a free agent or a UDFA to push Caveman Crosby in training camp.

Overall tho I really do like this draft tho. Some real difference makers through round 4, just think the later rounds could look better.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all the SS love? We have what? 4 on the roster already? Now 2 more? I get the interchangeability thing, but that's kinda ridiculous.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hands in, I like this one.

I don't hold that type of grade on Bernard but he could help that side of the ball a great deal. One of the few with three down value in the draft also. Not far off from Williams when he came out of VT two years ago. Hope Bernard's career starts off a little better though.

No issue with Elam there. Solid prospect/value and he fits TT's safety MO.

Again, no issue with Escobar at that slot. One of the few in this class that can pull Finley's tree should they move on at some point.

Patton has all the makings of a WCO WR. Hope he runs well enough because the kids a good football player. That was a fun tape read but not a easy one to project. Don't think he is as tall as has been said either.

Not real sure what Williams is just yet. Hope he wants it as bad as many will want that big body!

Not real sure Miles or Bumphis could make this Packers roster. Both will get their look though before the draft. PFA for both in my eyes as it stands today.

Highly doubt TT will draft a kicker. Crosby has enough to think about this off-season. Those guys are a little different than other positions. Most of them have a baseball type mindset. Know what I mean?

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Why all the SS love? We have what? 4 on the roster already? Now 2 more? I get the interchangeability thing, but that's kinda ridiculous.

Morgan Burnett can play FS and has for us in the past. Elam is a damn good football player and really could be a difference maker. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Round 1.

The Kuhn wrote:
Why double up on safety? With Burnett, Elam, McMillian, Jennings and (maybe) Richardson where is Miles going to play, even with Woodson gone? Personally, I'd rather see a pass rusher, ILB, or C prospect in that slot.

Again, why use a pick on a second WR? Yes, Jennings and Driver are gone but didn't we keep Boykins on the roster for that very reason? Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Patton and Boykin is pretty damn solid IMO. Plus we have Ross, who I think makes the team before Bumphis does (ultimately neither make it tho)

~Miles value on this team is on ST, he's another Jarret Busg
~Why double up on a WR, because I don't like the C and DL prospects that late, and it's TT, he loves WRs.
~I don't think TT addresses drafts with "well, I need this position, so let's go out and get it."

I Am Rodgers wrote:
Kal-El

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause !

... I'd be really happy to see us add a good RB, S, and a couple receiving threats.

Pro-Johnny Footbawl.
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft and think it can do a lot more for us than what it looks like on the surface, especially the top four rounds.

I like Bernard and his ability to be a three down player in our offense. I think he can be someone that can help our running game become much more efficient and make defenses more honest against the run. However, I am not sold on his value as a late first round pick. I think there would be better value on the board, but to me it is not a major reach (1-2 rounds too early), so I would not be too upset with the pick (assuming no top talent falls).

I do like our safety depth and the potential McMillian and Jennings offer. However, Elam is a good player and think he can do some of the things Collins did when he was here. I am not saying he is going to be Collins, but Collins was able to cover up a lot of things on the defense and do a lot more because of his athleticism, hopefully Elam and his athleticism can do some of those things. Also, taking a safety high, in my opinion, does not mean McMillian and Jennings are a failure. McMillian saw time in the dime package playing inside, so he can continue that role. Plus if either emerge as a valid starter we can utilize all three on the filed at once, the Giants had defensive packages with 3 safeties after Brown's emergence.

I have not seen a ton of Escobar, but what I have seen I have liked. Also, it allows us to develop Escobar for a year, if needed, and wait a year on Finley's fate. You mentioned doing what New England does with tight ends and duplicate it. However, of the four you mentioned I think we could duplicate it, but not at the same level. I like the concept though.

I like Patton. I think that he can be a good developmental guy behind Nelson, Cobb, and Jones. I think that his ability to make plays after the catch fits into what we do and I think his size will check out for our liking.
Kenrik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Elam pick. He's my favorite prospect so far. I would take him in the 1st for sure. He can tackle and reacts quickly. When he tackles he trys to run through the player which we havent had after the loss of Collins.

One downside is hes kind of a hot head. He'll hit you late, you push him he'll punch you back and there where comments he made about Meyer(Speaks his mind). Maybe thats what the defense needs.

I havent seen much film on his coverage skills though. Whats you thoughts on Elam Palmy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: