Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why do many fans have a negative perception of A.J Hawk?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayt wrote:
I don't care where he was picked. It is irrelevant where any player was picked, or not picked, as is often the case with our team.

He simply isn't that good and is, at best, a backup.

Just off the top of my head I can think of plenty of 3-4 ILB's that I'd take over Hawk not to mention, I'll bet majority of them are paid less than Hawk as well. We need to get more athletic at the MLB position. Hawk just isn't the guy.

You want to know why MLB isn't a featured position in our defense? Because we don't have the personnel to make it that way. I'd love to get a guy like Lawrence Timmons on our team. The guy can do it all. He gets interceptions, sacks, and is plenty supportive against the run. He's an athlete.

Hawk is like the 5th highest paid player on the team. That in itself is absolutely ridiculous. With the eventual departure of Woodson and Jennings that puts him top 3. He's not a 3 down linebacker and gets paid top dollar at his position. Doesn't make sense. Only way I want this guy back is for about half of what he makes. His production or lack there of is a flat out joke for a guy on the field as much as he is.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
ayt wrote:
I don't care where he was picked. It is irrelevant where any player was picked, or not picked, as is often the case with our team.

Just off the top of my head I can think of plenty of 3-4 ILB's that I'd take over Hawk not to mention, I'll bet majority of them are paid less than Hawk as well. We need to get more athletic at the MLB position. Hawk just isn't the guy.

You want to know why MLB isn't a featured position in our defense? Because we don't have the personnel to make it that way. I'd love to get a guy like Lawrence Timmons on our team. The guy can do it all. He gets interceptions, sacks, and is plenty supportive against the run. He's an athlete.

Hawk is like the 5th highest paid player on the team. That in itself is absolutely ridiculous. With the eventual departure of Woodson and Jennings that puts him top 3. He's not a 3 down linebacker and gets paid top dollar at his position. Doesn't make sense. Only way I want this guy back is for about half of what he makes. His production or lack there of is a flat out joke for a guy on the field as much as he is.

I'm a Hawk guy. But it would be hard for anyone to fight ya on that in bold.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have a negative perception of Hawk, I just don't have a positive one.

He's got a huge cap number first of all, whenever you make a ton of money yet don't produce big plays you're an easy target. Hawk is a dependable LB, dependable LBs should not be paid like he is.

He's in a visible position defensively, yet his play is mostly invisible. LB is typically a playmaking position, whether it be FFs, Sacks, INTs, or crazy high tackle numbers, Hawk is always low in these compared to his peers.

His biggest strength is a part of his biggest weakness. He's so dependable as far as being available game in and game out, he plays a ton of snaps. The downside is he plays a ton of snaps yet he never has the production to go along with it.

The fact is the 49ers just physically abused us all game long, and he was a complete non factor again. I'd never say it was his fault, but he's been right in the middle of all of our defensive collapses and is never one of the guys who puts up a fight.

I wouldn't cut him or anything drastic, but I wouldn't hesitate to replace him with someone cheaper either.
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayt wrote:

A backup?!

Hawk had a solid year. He's definitely more than a backup. Yes, he could be upgraded, but I'm not so sure that's a glaring need. He's a serviceable starter.
packfan4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hawk is just fine in the base Defense, where I think he needs to be replaced is the Nickel D. Think we need to find a situational guy at ILB, I've said it many times before but Brandon Chillar was a big loss for this team. He was the perfect guy to rotate with Hawk, he could wreak havoc on a blitz and stay with guys in coverage, don't think Hawk does either of those things very well. Not his fault but we need to do a better job covering his limitations and find a guy to come in situationally. I thought Brad Jones did a fine job for being so raw at the position, maybe he deserves an extended look inside?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackers79 wrote:
ayt wrote:

A backup?!

Hawk had a solid year. He's definitely more than a backup. Yes, he could be upgraded, but I'm not so sure that's a glaring need. He's a serviceable starter.

What constitutes as a 'solid season?' While I agree with you that Hawk is more than a backup, I feel like he doesn't have a place on the defense. I'd much rather have a young, physical, fast full time linebacker than Hawk. I think Hawk is far better suited at OLB in a 4-3 scheme. I agree with people that Hawk is asked to do a lot and I feel like he isn't good enough to do everything that's asked of him. He is a role player, but I don't think we can get away with having two role players at MLB. I feel like Bishop, albeit a better linebacker and football player than Hawk is also more of a role player as well. We can't advance in the postseason if we have a bunch of average players in our front seven. Someone needs to be upgraded.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: