Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Some records that don't mean anything
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Some records that don't mean anything Reply with quote

Romo needs 214 yards to set a new franchise record for season passing yardage.

If Romo maintains his current efficiency, he will remain the only QB to have thrown for a 90+ QBR every season since 2006.

Romo needs 731 yards to reach 5000 yards passing. 366 yds a game for the last two games would be remarkable, but not inconceivable for the only QB other than Brady to throw for 300 yds against the Steelers in the last decade.

Witten needs 6 catches to break Tony Gonzalez's single season receptions record for a TE. He needs 77 yards to tie Gonzalez with four career 1000 yd seasons.

The Cowboys are the only team with three receivers in the top 20 for yardage. If Austin can get 102 yds while Witten gets 77, this will be the first time in franchise history the team has 3 1000 yd receivers.

Dez Bryant currently has 25 receiving TDs in his first three seasons. For comparison, Calvin Johnson had 21, Larry Fitzgerald 24, Andre Johnson 12, and Randy Moss had 43 (!!!!). A J Green and Julio Jones look to be on pace to overtake him with 18 and 17, respectively.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Some records that don't mean anything Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:

If Romo maintains his current efficiency, he will remain the only QB to have thrown for a 90+ QBR every season since 2006.

Romo needs 731 yards to reach 5000 yards passing. 366 yds a game for the last two games would be remarkable, but not inconceivable for the only QB other than Brady to throw for 300 yds against the Steelers in the last decade.

Witten needs 6 catches to break Tony Gonzalez's single season receptions record for a TE. He needs 77 yards to tie Gonzalez with four career 1000 yd seasons.

The Cowboys are the only team with three receivers in the top 20 for yardage. If Austin can get 102 yds while Witten gets 77, this will be the first time in franchise history the team has 3 1000 yd receivers.

Dez Bryant currently has 25 receiving TDs in his first three seasons. For comparison, Calvin Johnson had 21, Larry Fitzgerald 24, Andre Johnson 12, and Randy Moss had 43 (!!!!). A J Green and Julio Jones look to be on pace to overtake him with 18 and 17, respectively.

Dirk I think most of the stats can be attributed to trailing in many of the games and having to throw the ball....and you're correct. Very hollow stats.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Some records that don't mean anything Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Dirk I think most of the stats can be attributed to trailing in many of the games and having to throw the ball....and you're correct. Very hollow stats.

That is very true. But, if Romo threw for 5K it would be kinda cool. Just saying.

flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares if they are meaningless? All stats pretty much are. But they are cool, so that is what matters to me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its amazing how much hoop-la was made about Eli's come backs last year... Romo has 5 right now and damn near has 7.... but no one talks about it.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Its amazing how much hoop-la was made about Eli's come backs last year... Romo has 5 right now and damn near has 7.... but no one talks about it.

Perhaps if Romo was missing a chromosome it would be bigger news???

TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Because Eli's 4th-Quarter stats last year were literally off the charts. No QB in NFL history has ever posted 4th-Quarter statistics like Eli did last year - over 2,000 yards and 18 TDs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gathered their stats for comparison but locked 'em in my classroom. I'll post them tomorrow. Long story short, Eli had more Volume, Tony more efficiency (though these last two games may add to that)

I'm including both 4th quarter overall and 4th Qtr +/- 7points in the report.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
I gathered their stats for comparison but locked 'em in my classroom. I'll post them tomorrow. Long story short, Eli had more Volume, Tony more efficiency (though these last two games may add to that)

I'm including both 4th quarter overall and 4th Qtr +/- 7points in the report.

Are you including any analysis of Rob "Concrete Feet" Petitti being a hit in the report? Wink

Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me how many 6th rounders last five seasons in the NFL...
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witten has a chance to overtake Irvin for most receptions in a season in club history as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw it. I looked it up again and calculated 'em.

4th qtr, +/-7points:
Romo 2012 = 59/88/662yd/4td/1int 99.7qbr
Eli 2011 = 61/98/939yd/8td/3int 108.3 qbr

I was wrong... I actually thought Romo's lower INT % and better Comp% would give him a slight QBR advantage

4th qtr ratings overall (adjusted Romo's stats for 16 game season):

Romo 2012 =120/178/1371/10/3 102.1
Eli 2011 = 120/182/1715/15/6 110.7

So there ya have it-- yards and TDs make all the difference, even with doubled INTs.

But both are pretty remarkable performances.
Da Boyz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that true about this Steelers defense giving up 300 yards to only those 2 QBs? That just doesn't seem right at all.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Boyz wrote:
Is that true about this Steelers defense giving up 300 yards to only those 2 QBs? That just doesn't seem right at all.

Probably because it's not. The steelers gave up over 300 yards to Tim Tebow in the playoffs last year (granted it took a play action fake in OT and an 80 yard bomb to get there).

Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, slam is correct. It appears the correct way this nugget should've been stated is that no one but Brady has thrown for as many yards against the steelers as romo did, and it's in the last 8 yrs, not 10.

Mea culpa for not checking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: