Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Forte was NOT worth the investment
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Forte was NOT worth the investment Reply with quote

Seriously, the guy doesn't score and if you're a skill position player on offense that can't find the endzone you're worthless. Three cracks from inside the five yard line and he can't do it. That's pathetic. I've never been enamoured of him and likewise never agreed he was anything special, certainly not worth the headache in the offseason or the money that could be spent elsewhere.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think after the way he has been underutilised this season we can really make that call.
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's carried the ball moer than 200 times this season and the last time he scored on the ground was week 9 at Tennessee. The Bears overpaid for his services and in the NFL of today overpaying a running back is ridiculously stupid.
C

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His talents are wasting away here. The way we go about the running game, Bush and Allen (nice burst) are suffice. We need bodies. I would like to see what we could get for Forte.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1WngdAngel wrote:
He's carried the ball moer than 200 times this season and the last time he scored on the ground was week 9 at Tennessee. The Bears overpaid for his services and in the NFL of today overpaying a running back is ridiculously stupid.

We didn’t overpay for him…

Arian Foster’s contract averages…$8.7 million a year
Shady McCoy’s contract averages…$7.6 million a year
Matt Forte’s contract averages…$7.6 million a year

We got Forte at market value…scoring is one thing but two things to consider…1. His opportunities to score are often taken up by Michael Bush & 2. He is playing behind a truly terrible offensive line that has opened up the holes that other RBs have had.
BEARS24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
1WngdAngel wrote:

We got Forte at market value…scoring is one thing but two things to consider…1. His opportunities to score are often taken up by Michael Bush & 2. He is playing behind a truly terrible offensive line that has opened up the holes that other RBs have had.

My feelings exactly...

Forte will never see the goalline touches unless Bush goes down, but it is not his best skill as a back...

When we used him at the very start of the GB game he showed what he can do well, the only major knock on him I can really think of is his out and out speed...

His patience and acceleration are great though...
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we've gone from "pay Forte what he wants" to "Forte got overpaid?"

Come on.
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

Come on.

It's a cycle here, you know that. Laughing

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never a member of the "Pay the man" crowd. His opportunities to score are taken away because he doesn't score inside the red zone. If he ever in his career showed any ability to power into the endzone he wouldn't have to make up some bullcrap every offseason about being disrespected by the Bears signing a goal line/3rd down back.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone on offence not named Marshall has had a crap year and I don know if we can judge them all.

That being said I would trade Forete if someone offered a 2nd or higher.
ConVict90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Come on.

It's a cycle here, you know that. Laughing

Yomps! Unfortunately I don't speak whinese so these last few threas have been completely irrelevant.

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Forte was NOT worth the investment Reply with quote

1WngdAngel wrote:
Seriously, the guy doesn't score and if you're a skill position player on offense that can't find the endzone you're worthless. Three cracks from inside the five yard line and he can't do it. That's pathetic. I've never been enamoured of him and likewise never agreed he was anything special, certainly not worth the headache in the offseason or the money that could be spent elsewhere.
Forte is an above average back and when used properly is a headache for the opposition. He does not fumble and never dogs it. That kind of money should buy one of the top five backs and Forte is not there. He could be next year, I don't know. I was very reluctant to give him so much money. But it is fairly reasonable and might make him an interesting trade prospect for some.

If McMahon had him he would be a devastating force.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Forte was NOT worth the investment Reply with quote

1WngdAngel wrote:
Oh, there was NO headache in the offseason.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
1WngdAngel wrote:

Oh, he was overpaid. Of that there is no doubt. But it was political to prevent the idiots who believe paying money is everything from going crazy, this includes the media.

Everyone knew our line was being rebuilt on the fly and almost everyone thought we would put more resources into that during the offseason. A lot of that went to Forte.

In a market like the NFL there really is not a "market" price for RBs and QBs or anyone really. There is a monoposny price wherein the buyers have near control of the market facing a near monopoly of sellers. Hence, you get situations where players who are not much, much better than others getting much, much more. Such as Forte and Bush.

The smartest GMs take the guy who is not the absolute best when the price is prohibitive.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

Come on.
Many of us said we would be nuts to overpay him. Considering our running game was fine after he went down. We actually paid him less than I figured we would so it is as bad as it could be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: