Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fixing the OL: Suggestion Box
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Fixing the OL: Suggestion Box Reply with quote

The biggest question facing Phil Emery once he fires Lovie and replaces him is what to do with the OL.

It has become clear that this team need a complete overhaul of the worst OL in the NFL and perhaps NFL history.

J'Marcus Webb
The talented ultra inconsistent and mentally delayed starting LT that should at best be a swing tackle or competing at RT.

James Brown
He is big physical and was suppose to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but he looked lost mentally against the Packers as simple stunts walked by him. Probably worth keeping and developing for a little while.

Edwin Williams
He has had a couple of years and failed to impress at OG, but maybe he is a C and should be given a chance at that position because Garza is done.

Chris Spencer
He was a 1st round pick and a useful starter in Seattle, he is now a bad backup who does not flash any power when he is in the game.

Roberto Garza
It pains me a little to say this but he has been bad this year. He is on the ground in the run game and he cannot hold the pocket in the pass game.

Lance Louis
The one guy that should be starting next year if he recovers from his ACL injury.

Gabe Carimi
Thank you Jerry Angelo for another bust at OT. He was benched at RT because he was so bad and now he has been benched at RG.

Jonathan Scott
He actually has played okay, and I might keep him as a swing backup and depth player.

So the question remains what would you do about the OL?
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd move forward with Webb and Louis. Carimi has to be given more time but I'd still like a new RT to hold down the fort for now and in case he doesn't pan out.

Right now our interior is killing us. Brown is bad. Garza is playing poorly. Spencer did ok at RG but his play is declining and he seems to only be able to play RG. Can't have a 1 position backup who isn't even that good.

I was all for drafting a OT but it seems our OGs are just as bad if not worse. Really we need to bring in as much talent as possible. I'd like at least one starting caliber FA if not 2 and at least one early round pick and a developmental guy.

There are so many holes in this group.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I'd move forward with Webb and Louis. Carimi has to be given more time but I'd still like a new RT to hold down the fort for now and in case he doesn't pan out.

Right now our interior is killing us. Brown is bad. Garza is playing poorly. Spencer did ok at RG but his play is declining and he seems to only be able to play RG. Can't have a 1 position backup who isn't even that good.

I was all for drafting a OT but it seems our OGs are just as bad if not worse. Really we need to bring in as much talent as possible. I'd like at least one starting caliber FA if not 2 and at least one early round pick and a developmental guy.

I am done with Carimi fail once shame on us fail twice you are a bust.

I am a Webb supporter but he needs to be replaced.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:

I am done with Carimi fail once shame on us fail twice you are a bust.

I am a Webb supporter but he needs to be replaced.
Nads786

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to give Carmi one more season (not as a starter) to see if his knee can fully heal.

Other than that Jwebb should be kept and Louis everyone else I don't care much for.

We need a total overhaul and need to sign a FA.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I do is decide on the identity I want the offence as a whole to go in…then plan accordingly with the personal I go with…

For me I want us to go to the ZBS wither we have a new HC or not…so…

1. I do whatever it takes to find a bonafide consistent starter at LT…ideally this would be Branden Albert but more likely Jermon Bushrod who I feel would also be a quality pick up…

2. I resign Lance Louis to a 1 year contract to find out how strong his knee is and if he can adapt to a ZBS (which I reckon he could)…

3. I trade out of the 1st round to pick up a high 2nd & 3rd round pick then draft a guy like Brian Winters out of Kent State to move inside from LT to LG where his athleticism and physicality would be a perfect fit for this scheme…

4. I move J’Marcus Webb over to RT to compete with Carimi & Scott in camp and keep the best two on the roster as a starting RT and backup swing man...

LT…Branden Albert/Jermon Bushrod
LG…Brian Winters
C…Roberto Garza…Edwin Williams
RG…Lance Louis…Chris Spencer
RT…J’Marcus Webb…Gabe Carimi

I would love to do something at the C position but there is a real lack of talent at the position this year…maybe a late round pick up of Dalton Freeman, Matt Stankiewitch or Sam Schwartzstein as development prospect would be a good call…I think just adding Albert/Bushrod & Winters would give as a strength on the Oline which would all any coordinator to help out the right hand side of the line schematically.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb and Louis can stay, otherwise its a firesale for me, everything must go. Maybe give Carimi a full offseason to transition inside, but other than that, its trash.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion box? Here's my suggestion: jump in the Delorean, go back a few years and make Jerry Angelo acquire starting-caliber linemen.
topwop1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is for Emery to fire the whole coaching staff and to bring in an offensive coach who knows what the heck he is doing. Hopefully then everything will then work itself out from there.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan would require a heavy investment in both free agency and in the draft.

Free Agency

There are budget constraints but I am willing to cut from other areas to finally improve the OL. If it means that players on defense need to restructure their contracts or guys like Urlacher need to move on then so be it.

OT

We need at least 1 starting OT from free agency at either RT or LT and they need to start Day 1.

Sebastian Vollmer

I like Vollmer because he is an excellen pass blocker and he can play both RT and LT.

Branden Albert

He is a solid LT that will not cost Clady money, but I wonder if he is going to get over paid for being good at a really important position.

OG/C

We need another starting option at OG/C that can protect us against Louis' injury and take over for Garza at C.

Andy Levitre

I like him because he has play LT, LG and C and can start for the Bears at either LG or C depening on how the draft breaks.

Louis Vasquez

He is huge 6'5" 335lbs and physical and immedialty steps in at LG and starts.

Draft

This is a deep draft with talent that may not be elite but has starting potential at the NFL level.

OT

1st Round: Eric Fisher/Jake Matthews

Now that we are picking in the early 20s we may have a shot at one of the 4 OTs that have consensus 1st round grades and can potentially play LT.

2nd Round: Lane Johnson/Justin Pugh

These guys are a little more developmental, but they can compete and possibly upgrade Webb or whoever is at RT depending on free agency.

OG

1st Round: Chance Warmack/John Cooper

This draft is STACKED with elite OG/C talent and this might be the best bang for our buck as either of these guys has Pro Bowl potential and instantly starts for us and solidifies an OG spot.

2nd Round: Dallas Thomas/Larry Warford

Again a deep class of prospects and again players that can more than liekly start day 1.

My Plan

To afford this investment we are saying goodbye to Urlacher, Davis, Hester and we are restructuring Peppers, Tillman and Marshall.

I know I have commented on the cost of these guys but we need to spend everything we can get our hands on the line.

OT Sebastian Vollmer [5 years 40 million/25 guaranteed]

OG Andy Levitre [5 years 27.5 million/15 guaranteed]

1st Round: OG Chance Warmack [Alabama]
4th Round: OT Xavier Nixon [Florida]

LT: Sebastian Vollmer
LG: Warmack
C: Levitre
RG: Louis
RT: Webb/Scott/Nixon
JPeppers90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
My plan would require a heavy investment in both free agency and in the draft.

Free Agency

There are budget constraints but I am willing to cut from other areas to finally improve the OL. If it means that players on defense need to restructure their contracts or guys like Urlacher need to move on then so be it.

OT

We need at least 1 starting OT from free agency at either RT or LT and they need to start Day 1.

Sebastian Vollmer

I like Vollmer because he is an excellen pass blocker and he can play both RT and LT.

Branden Albert

He is a solid LT that will not cost Clady money, but I wonder if he is going to get over paid for being good at a really important position.

OG/C

We need another starting option at OG/C that can protect us against Louis' injury and take over for Garza at C.

Andy Levitre

I like him because he has play LT, LG and C and can start for the Bears at either LG or C depening on how the draft breaks.

Louis Vasquez

He is huge 6'5" 335lbs and physical and immedialty steps in at LG and starts.

Draft

This is a deep draft with talent that may not be elite but has starting potential at the NFL level.

OT

1st Round: Eric Fisher/Jake Matthews

Now that we are picking in the early 20s we may have a shot at one of the 4 OTs that have consensus 1st round grades and can potentially play LT.

2nd Round: Lane Johnson/Justin Pugh

These guys are a little more developmental, but they can compete and possibly upgrade Webb or whoever is at RT depending on free agency.

OG

1st Round: Chance Warmack/John Cooper

This draft is STACKED with elite OG/C talent and this might be the best bang for our buck as either of these guys has Pro Bowl potential and instantly starts for us and solidifies an OG spot.

2nd Round: Dallas Thomas/Larry Warford

Again a deep class of prospects and again players that can more than liekly start day 1.

My Plan

To afford this investment we are saying goodbye to Urlacher, Davis, Hester and we are restructuring Peppers, Tillman and Marshall.

I know I have commented on the cost of these guys but we need to spend everything we can get our hands on the line.

OT Sebastian Vollmer [5 years 40 million/25 guaranteed]

OG Andy Levitre [5 years 27.5 million/15 guaranteed]

1st Round: OG Chance Warmack [Alabama]
4th Round: OT Xavier Nixon [Florida]

LT: Sebastian Vollmer
LG: Warmack
C: Levitre
RG: Louis
RT: Webb/Scott/Nixon

That would be an awesome offseason as far as o ine.. But no way all that happens

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the 2nd free agent is unrealistic.[/quote]
ak06max

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I know the 2nd free agent is unrealistic.
[/quote]

Blow it up and start from scratch.Minus Louis I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys.....there is no solution......

Did you all see Vollmer on Sunday Night??? He wasnt good.....and honestly no OL will really come in and save this line.

The problem is the offense itself. We just plain need a change in philosophy. We need an offensive head coach who comes in and really gets a model to work out of.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
Guys.....there is no solution......

Did you all see Vollmer on Sunday Night??? He wasnt good.....and honestly no OL will really come in and save this line.

The problem is the offense itself. We just plain need a change in philosophy. We need an offensive head coach who comes in and really gets a model to work out of.

He was fine against an elite defense.

All you can do is add talent and hope for improvement and there is no doubt in mind that Vollmer would improve the line.

That being said we need an offensive coach with a strong vision and the ability to execute it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: