Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Arrogance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
I have had an issue with the arrogance ever since the Super Bowl.

Im usually on the optimistic side as a fan but that that off-season right after the Super Bowl we basically just picked up ALL luxury players and then trade Thomas Jones. You can't blame Angelo for trading Jones. He demanded a trade the year before and was promised it would be done the next year. To keep him after that would have cost way more money than they could commit at RB.

Pretty much every year since then the regime just acted like no one should question them. I said for a while that Lovie obviously had a hand in alot of Angelo's personnel moves. It was widely claimed at the time his new contract was signed and everything which has happened since confirms that was the case.

It truly is just time for a change. As far as Urlacher's comments. I didnt really care, Urlacher has never been the most diplomatic, haha.
I heard he was joining the State Department upon Retirement.
This isn't exactly true, yes after JA DRAFTED Benson, Jones wanted to be traded b/c of Benson being drafted to replace him, plus contract issues. JA could easily have gone a different route in that draft and kept Thomas Jones both. Remember the players didn't like Ced from the get go.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

Im usually on the optimistic side as a fan but that that off-season right after the Super Bowl we basically just picked up ALL luxury players and then trade Thomas Jones. You can't blame Angelo for trading Jones. He demanded a trade the year before and was promised it would be done the next year. To keep him after that would have cost way more money than they could commit at RB.

Pretty much every year since then the regime just acted like no one should question them. I said for a while that Lovie obviously had a hand in alot of Angelo's personnel moves. It was widely claimed at the time his new contract was signed and everything which has happened since confirms that was the case.

It truly is just time for a change. As far as Urlacher's comments. I didnt really care, Urlacher has never been the most diplomatic, haha.
This isn't exactly true, yes after JA DRAFTED Benson, Jones wanted to be traded b/c of Benson being drafted to replace him, plus contract issues. JA could easily have gone a different route in that draft and kept Thomas Jones both. Remember the players didn't like Ced from the get go.

Lovie has run his course.

But I think we can all rally around the fact that Angelo was a massive tit.

I will be comfortable and slightly happy when Lovie is fired.

I was ecstatic and took the wife for a nice steak dinner to celebrate Angelo being gone. Single greatest ProFootballTalk checking moment ever.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

I was ecstatic and took the wife for a nice steak dinner to celebrate Angelo being gone. Single greatest ProFootballTalk checking moment ever.

Exactly....the Angelo/Lovie regime was tied closer than a lot of people on this forum wanted to admit. I could always see it, and like I have said tons of times, the personnel moves clearly were collaborative....I have never seen why the blame was squarely on Angelo

Anyway though....yea, just regime change

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

No one knew that would be the case.

And what I said was exactly true.

And Jones was a journeyman who had been on two other teams before coming to the Bears so they were not that committed to him being the guy any more than ANY of the teams he played for were. Drafting Benson was a No Brainer and not in the slightest controversial.
51to54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

Exactly....the Angelo/Lovie regime was tied closer than a lot of people on this forum wanted to admit. I could always see it, and like I have said tons of times, the personnel moves clearly were collaborative....I have never seen why the blame was squarely on Angelo

Great observation.
Either that or they both had the same kind of player eval stupidity or blinders on.
51to54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

And Jones was a journeyman who had been on two other teams before coming to the Bears so they were not that committed to him being the guy any more than ANY of the teams he played for were. Drafting Benson was a No Brainer and not in the slightest controversial.

Here's one of the few times ChicagoAl and I split ways. I view the Benson draft as the great leap into stupidity that missed a golden opportunity to turn around the decline of our Oline or at least add a top four pick to ANY other position than RB and missed a golden chance to stabilize the Oline or add a several year starter at many other positions of need. The current bottom feeder status of our Oline can be traced directly back to this incredible blunder, interestingly enough, based on Turner's arrogance that he needed a Benson type for his O.

Jones stepped his game up when he hit Chicago and found a home. Regardless of how Jones may or may not have felt about staying with the Bears his production remained good and he displayed a very good all around game. RB was NOT a position of need that draft and squandering on a too immature for the NFL Benson only doubled down the stupid draft move.

And any team that adopts a policy of trading away players who don't want to be with the team will generally dissolve away.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

Here's one of the few times ChicagoAl and I split ways. I view the Benson draft as the great leap into stupidity that missed a golden opportunity to turn around the decline of our Oline or at least add a top four pick to ANY other position than RB and missed a golden chance to stabilize the Oline or add a several year starter at many other positions of need. The current bottom feeder status of our Oline can be traced directly back to this incredible blunder, interestingly enough, based on Turner's arrogance that he needed a Benson type for his O.

Jones stepped his game up when he hit Chicago and found a home. Regardless of how Jones may or may not have felt about staying with the Bears his production remained good and he displayed a very good all around game. RB was NOT a position of need that draft and squandering on a too immature for the NFL Benson only doubled down the stupid draft move.

And any team that adopts a policy of trading away players who don't want to be with the team will generally dissolve away.
Without using ex post facto analysis, Benson was the best player available by universal acclamation when the draft was held. He had not been in trouble in college or had given any indication that he was gonna flip. He was considered the kind of player you cannot pass on. There was no way they were going to lean totally on Jones.

You can't decide this was dumb several years down the road, the decision had to be made without knowledge of what was going to happen.

And the decisions made wrt the line were just very unlucky. Colombo was a good pick but horrible injuries ruined him for the Bears. That was a huge set back and they had to start all over again trying to find a LT. It was because of this, and worse, luck that I supported Angelo being fired.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

Great observation.
Either that or they both had the same kind of player eval stupidity or blinders on.
How can people forget the pictures of Smith at the combine and multiple stories of Smith visiting players at their colleges every year? What do they thing he is doing, just building up frequent flyer miles? You did not hear about Angelo doing that.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
51to54 wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

Great observation.
How can people forget the pictures of Smith at the combine and multiple stories of Smith visiting players at their colleges every year? What do they thing he is doing, just building up frequent flyer miles? You did not hear about Angelo doing that.

Angelo did his job (which included the scouting things you are saying you didn't hear about). He just wasn't any good at it.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I love Urlacher. Most fans are morons.
Agreed. I think if he were talking to many of us on this forum he could have good, intelligent conversation. However, most fans think that the team should be able to simply will themselves to victory, or that favre would be a great addition to this team.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Angelo did his job (which included the scouting things you are saying you didn't hear about). He just wasn't any good at it.

I think the point of what he was trying to say is that Lovie played a huge part in player evaluation and was a huge part of the problem.

Couple that with Lovie's offensive woes and basically its clear it is time for him to go.

I commend Lovie for giving us a consistent defensive team over the years and dont want to take that from him, but this teams stars are on the offensive side of the ball now.......time to switch it up.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
51to54 wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

Great observation.

Occasionally I saw Angelo at the Combine just not as often as Smith. Most of the information on players is gathered by the scouts and then Angelo AND Smith would collaborate on a decision. People keep trying to exculpate Smith from these decisions which is TOTALLY inappropriate. He is as guilty as Angelo.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
51to54 wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

Great observation.
Here's the players the Bears have drafted that you heard that kinda talk about w/ Lovie Smith: Danieal Manning (Lovie's personal pet project, and more villified in Chicago than he should have been, he's been a pretty darn good safety), Matt Forte (do I need to explain this one), Henry Melton (developing into the premier pass rushing DT in the NFL), Major Wright (is now a top 5 SS in this league, flashing athleticism in coverage, and an aggressive streak in run support)

I'd say that gives Lovie a pretty good track record. Lovie also was knocking on Pep's door at 12:01 to bring him to Chicago.

Now he 1 move that we know about that just didn't work out, he brought Adam Archuleta to Chicago and thought he could replace Chris Harris. It didn't work out he was gone the next year. That's it, those are the only personnel moves Lovie has been directly linked to. I'd say that's a pretty good record.

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
51to54 wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

Great observation.

Occasionally I saw Angelo at the Combine just not as often as Smith. Most of the information on players is gathered by the scouts and then Angelo AND Smith would collaborate on a decision. People keep trying to exculpate Smith from these decisions which is TOTALLY inappropriate. He is as guilty as Angelo.
Angelo was at the combine every year, just like Lovie Smith and every other HC and GM in the NFL.

Badger75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, has everyone here forgotten the Ditka years. He was a great personality for Chicago and his teams won, Chicago style. But arrogant? Whoa... Shocked

Most football coaches are remote if not hostile. Landry, Noll and Shula were famously taciturn. Walsh could be moody, eloquent or just a jerk. He was a hs golden gloves champ and was known to throw a punch now and again. Sports writers, fans... Wink

Belichick, warm and fuzzy. Bud Grant and Leslie Frazier. Who is more taciturn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: