Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Update: Chan Gailey fired (pg. 7)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeevans83d

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now they're saying Nix is out after the draft.
Russ, Nix, and Whaley will do the coaching search, which will bring in a higher level of coaches.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
leeevans83d wrote:
Russ Brandon is new team president
Buddy Nix is still GM but Whaley will take over soon

Russ Brandon is like the plague. I can't stand this guy. He's a marketing clown who knows little about football. I can't wait till there is a new owner and this guy finally gets shown the door.

He doesn't even handle to football aspect so what does it matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like saying Ralph Wilson hasn't controlled the football aspect for the last 60 years? He has final say.

TommyC376^^^
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
That's like saying Ralph Wilson hasn't controlled the football aspect for the last 60 years? He has final say.
Wilson gave Nix all the freedom he wanted. Now I feel it will be more of a group effort instead of just relying on one person.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeevans83d wrote:
Russ, Nix, and Whaley will do the coaching search, which will bring in a higher level of coaches.

Let a guy draft then can him?

Seems foolish to me..

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on Horton. He came up as a DB in Cincinnati where his DB's coach was...Dick Lebeau. He was also a part of a 34 in Cinci his entire career most of which has Lebeau as the DC. He finished his career in Dallas in the 34.

His coaching career has followed Lebeau most of the way, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh before the DC stint in Arizona, Horton has said that Lebeau is like a father to him.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that wherever Ray Horton becomes the Head Coach he will run a 34 defense. It is what he knows, it is how his defense works best and that is what got him this opportunity. It is not like he is going into an elite defensive team (ala Mike Tomlin) that would be able to convince him to run a 4-3.

Bottom Line. Horton will run an aggressive and attacking 3-4, blitz based, man coverage based system that will utilize a lot of sub-package looks.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tk3 wrote:
leeevans83d wrote:

Let a guy draft then can him?

Seems foolish to me..

Sounds to me like something that was agreed upon quite a while ago...kind of like Nix's one last splash before retiring (as opposed to getting fired).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Just a note on Horton. He came up as a DB in Cincinnati where his DB's coach was...Dick Lebeau. He was also a part of a 34 in Cinci his entire career most of which has Lebeau as the DC. He finished his career in Dallas in the 34.

His coaching career has followed Lebeau most of the way, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh before the DC stint in Arizona, Horton has said that Lebeau is like a father to him.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that wherever Ray Horton becomes the Head Coach he will run a 34 defense. It is what he knows, it is how his defense works best and that is what got him this opportunity. It is not like he is going into an elite defensive team (ala Mike Tomlin) that would be able to convince him to run a 4-3.

Bottom Line. Horton will run an aggressive and attacking 3-4, blitz based, man coverage based system that will utilize a lot of sub-package looks.

Thanks for posting this, Khodder. Exactly what I've been saying concerns me about Horton. I just don't want to start over again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
khodder wrote:

Thanks for posting this, Khodder. Exactly what I've been saying concerns me about Horton. I just don't want to start over again.

I'm not sure what it is but there is something about Horton i do not like. I don't doubt his job as a DC but i feel he wouldn't make the best HC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
khodder wrote:

I'm not sure what it is but there is something about Horton i do not like. I don't doubt his job as a DC but i feel he wouldn't make the best HC.

If we were already running a 3-4 now, I would be very excited to talk to Horton. The real unknown with him is what in the world would he do on offense? No one other than those in his tight circle has any idea what it might look like. I'd like to think most former DC's would have a huge appreciation for the running game as it lessens the pressure/snap count his D would have to face, but you just don't know. IMO, here in Buffalo, a strong running game/run 1st philosophy is needed due to the havoc caused by the winds on passes (and kicks). Further, all divisional away games are also outside and only Miami is in a warm weather environment. Relying on a strong running game limits the negative effects of the possibly bad weather.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills going to Arizona to visit with Whisenhunt, Horton, and Chip Kelly. Might also meet with Russ Grimm.

Quote:
@JasonLaCanfora: When Bills execs head West to interview Ken Whisenhunt, a prime target, and Ray Horton, also expected to take a crack at Chip Kelly...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, even if it means we swap back to a 3-4, I would be okay with hiring Horton.

Think he'll be a fantastic HC. That said, I think he stays in Zona and takes the Cards job.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
BeastM0de23RB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching back to the 3-4? No thank you. Anyone remember that we just signed a 4-3 DE to a 100 million dollar contract?

IMO, I want to stay away from the Arizona staff. Not ideal fits for us if you ask me.

Grimm = OL expertise; Arizona's OL gave up 160+ sacks the past 3 seasons

Wiz = A guy that never was able to deal with the loss of Kurt Warner, no matter how hard they tried. It should also be noted that if not for an injury to Matt L., Warner may not have even played (eventually leading them to the SB)

Horton = 3-4 guy, as previously mentioned.

As I said in the other thread, we're going to interview many candidates. It may be a week or two until this is all finalized.

“Experiences are the chemicals of life with which the philosopher experiments” - M.P.H.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: