Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rick Dennison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiltman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Rick Dennison Reply with quote

Hello Texans fans, hope your enjoying the season

I had a few questions about Rick Dennison, and I was wondering if you guys could help.

Andy Reid is on his way out and a part of the eagles forum is eyeing him up as our next coach, or at least has him on the shortlist, so I wanted to get your thoughts on him.

First, is he indeed the playcaller? I have yet to find a definitive answer and don't watch the texans much at all so I don't know. I thought he was but I could be wrong.

Next how much of the success of the run game do you attribute to Dennison? That is the main reason we'd want him because if we could implement an offense centered around Lesean McCoy & Bryce Brown it would be a smart way to go....and you guys seem to use Foster & Tate well enough together.

And do you think he'd be head coach material?

Anything else you wanted to add would be great too....I appreciate any input.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I kind of want to taste it
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Broncos fan but since I watch all the games(and because as a Broncos fan I'm more familiar with Dennison anyway) I'm going to comment.

This is probably not going to be the answer you want to your first question, but here it is. Dennison is the primary playcaller. But, Kubiak often has a giant playsheet in his hands and is often in communication so he clearly has more than average input on the plays called and more than likely Dennison may have to defer to him at times. So that might be the mixed answer you weren't looking for, but that's the truth.

However, if that gives you some caution about Dennison's ability to call plays, it shouldn't. Before he came to Houston, Dennison was the playcaller in Denver(was Kubiak's replacement actually), where Mike Shanahan does not do like Kubiak, and did a good job. I'm not going to say he was as good as Kubiak(because I think Denver missed Kubiak) but there's no question he's an experienced and capable playcaller.

As for the running game, well, there are two elements to that question. Kubiak knew the zone running system and been a playcaller for years but his background is as a Quarterbacks coach, so he still had to bring in a guy(Alex Gibbs) who could install it and coach the finer points. In this respect, Dennison can probably do both(not that he's Alex Gibbs or anything). Rick Dennison is a guy who was around in Denver at the very beginning when Shanny, Kubiak, and Alex Gibbs installed the system. So he knows the offense. But moreover, Dennison was an offensive line coach in Denver and learned directly from Alex Gibbs so blocking and the running game should be a specialty of his. Which doesn't mean he won't have an O-Line coach obviously but it does help with regard to overall input on how the team should go about doing things and if you can't have a "guru" like Alex Gibbs I would expect with Dennison's experience he could get the running game working(which I think is an important point given how most teams who haven't brough in Shanny, Kubiak, or Gibbs have struggled getting the system to work, and I think Dennison then is the most logical next man up).

Dennison I would say has helped the running game but it would be false to credit the running game to him. The Texans started to show serious improvement with worse backs while Dennison was in Denver so it would be false to credit him as the guy who got the run game going. But I don't doubt that he is capable of doing as much, all things considered because he has had to carry out the same responsibilities as previous coaches and mostly done as good or better.

As for is he a coaching canidate, first I would say wait and see how the Texans offense does in the Playoffs. But secondly, it's hard to say how good Dennison can be especially when he's spent most of his time under great offensive minds(minus the one year in 2009) and has never been given a chance to be the main "guy" as far as installing an offense.

However, that's as much a positive as anything, as he has almost 20 years to learn from guys like Shannahan, Kubiak, and Gibbs. Also I would consider his background as a positive(coached Special Teams for three seasons in the NFL, coached the line under a completely different offense under McDaniels in 09, and was a Linebacker as a player in the NFL) in terms of having more of an understanding of the NFL game outside of just offensive line blocking and play calling. He's also been around the NFL for close to 30 seasons(8 as a player, 18 as coach), which is a big positive.

He's only been with two organizations, and he's never been a head coach before, so if you're looking for a guy who can completely rebuild the coaching staff and expect good results, you might be at a disadvantage with Dennison, at least when compared with certain coaches. Not nearly as much as you would be with younger coaches of course, as even if Dennison was with only 1 team the fact that he's been in the NFL as long as he has is going to give him more connections than someone who has not been around as long. But it's somewhat of a negative.

I personally think he's done enough to be given a chance at a head coaching position, and I'm confident he's experienced enough. But it's always a risk, even moreso with new head coaches. So I have a hard time saying if he's better than other particular potential head coaching canidates. But the resume and experience are there.

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 am; edited 3 times in total
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Finals week has me up at weird times.

I'm very tired right now and using this as a study break so anyone please feel free to correct me, but I believe this to be my correct opinion:

1. Kubiak still calls the plays, as evidenced by Gruden's mention of his gigantic playcalling placard.

2. I think the running game can be attributed to Kubiak and Benton the Offensive Line coach. We had been through multiple offensive coordinators before Dennison and had had some success running the ball, so I think his arrival is just coincidental with the uptick in production in 2010.

3. I don't think much is known about this guy at all so hard to say. Looking at Calhoun and Sherman his two predecessors, they both seemed to transition ok into college head coaching jobs but I know that's a far cry from the NFL. If I had to make a prediction I'd say he will go as far as his defensive coordinator lets him go. I'd say his offense would be somewhere between Knapp's Raiders and the Texans so I'd say he can field a top 10ish offense with the talent available Philadelphia basing solely on the fact I think y'all have better weapons than the Raiders but will be less experienced than us at running it. The defense is the wild card, I read here that Dennison played some defense back in the day but I don't know how he coaches it or who he'd bring in. Defensive core looks good on paper, but hasn't seemed to translate, I don't know what to blame on coaching and what to blame on hype. So....I hope there is an acceptable answer in there somewhere Cool
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I trust Mr. AntiSuperstar more than I do myself, so if anything conflicts between what he and I say, defer to him.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pick him as a HC. Atleast not at this point in his career.
Kiltman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the input, good luck in the playoffs. Considering I hate almost every other team that will make it I hope you do well.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I kind of want to taste it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: