Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings VS Texans
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5521
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the tape of the three cheap shots Jared Allen took at Schaub's knees last time out ought to be required viewing for all Texans players this week, particularly the offensive line. Additionally, I would have them playing on a loop in the referees locker room, on the jumbotron before the game, and still shots in the kits provided to the media. For all the focus on bounty-gate, this was amongst the most blatant and repeated attempts to injure a player you will ever find. Again, this shot was cheap enough, but also needs to be viewed thru the lens of his 2 previous hits at Schaub's knee just a few plays earlier.

Below is just ONE of the 3 Allen hits in the game all aimed at the knee, the last one tearing his MCL and causing him to miss 5 games in the heart of the 2008 season (2-3). Allen drew a $50k fine which was laughable considering that's 0.16% of his guaranteed salary and in the current environment he would almost certainly have been suspended (see Joe Mays earlier this year). Personally, I had always liked Allen as a player who seemingly got his life in order after being a drunk and plays with the high motor we admire in JJ Watt and always missed in Mario, but he will always be tainted by his reprehensible conduct in this game.

I wish no ill will on the Vikings most of which weren't even around 2008, but Jared Allen is Texans enemy #1 now that Haynesworth is out of the game. I am all for sending a message early that we have neither forgotten, nor forgiven Allen for likely costing us our first playoff season that year. Any means necessary should be taken to keep Allen from getting close to Schaub unless its in the post game handshake where he should make proper amends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqjClE7cuk
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6042
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

I'm pretty sure that the rule that prohibits hitting the QB below the knees was not introduced until 2009.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4598
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word from UK on the GDT, or are we using this as it?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArcticNorseman


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2067
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go out on a limb and state I suspect the Texans aren't overly concerned about stopping Jared Allen ... some other Viking might be garnering that attention.

I hope this is a close game, but it will totally depend on whether Ponder takes care of the football. The Texans have some margin for error ... the Vikes have to play a perfect game to have a chance.

Then again, wasn't Wade Phillips San Diego's defensive coordinator during Adrian's rookie season?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5521
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
^^

I'm pretty sure that the rule that prohibits hitting the QB below the knees was not introduced until 2009.


Nope. Explain the $50k fine if that was a legal hit? You are partially correct in that the "Brady Rule" clarified the rule in 2009 to specifically prohibit a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs. It has always been illegal to flagrantly hit a QB in the knees or below, the Brady rule just eliminated the excuse that it wasn't "flagrant" because they were on the ground and just trying to make a play. None of this conflicts with the fact beyond where Allen hit him, he also hit Schaub long after the ball had been released and had ample opportunity to pull off the hit. Again, in context Allen had two other similar hits in the same game and also horse collared Sage later on (another move subsequently banned).

I have long been a proponent of cycling style mandatory drug testing on the spot when a player commits multiple or eggregious offenses in the same game as I have no doubt that some of these incidents are fueled either by roid rage or stimulant use. Player safety continues to be a joke when guys like Allen or Suh are permitted to go nuts on a football field with a pointless fine system that is less than a parking ticket for you or I, instead of hitting them where it hurts which are suspensions whether it's for the behavior itself or the substances behind it. If me weaving between lanes is profiled as possibly indicative of driving drunk and a breathalyzer administered, why can't the NFL office watching a player acting out of control demand that player be tested on the spot after the game (amphetimines only stay in the system 24-48 hours). It's one thing to be a dirty player or a player using PEDs, but injuring another player while under the influence of banned substances ought to be treated like Intoxication Assault with much harsher penalties. We will never know with Allen, but multiple times in that 08 season he seemed out of control and his blindside hit to the head on Lance Louis earlier this season is the same type that KILLED a player in semi-pro ball last year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000100289/article/jared-allen-injures-lance-louis-in-vikings-loss-to-bears
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5521
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and state I suspect the Texans aren't overly concerned about stopping Jared Allen ... some other Viking might be garnering that attention.

I hope this is a close game, but it will totally depend on whether Ponder takes care of the football. The Texans have some margin for error ... the Vikes have to play a perfect game to have a chance.

Then again, wasn't Wade Phillips San Diego's defensive coordinator during Adrian's rookie season?


Ponder got married this week one of ESPNs 25 Erin Andrews clones, Samantha Steele (really original air name, babe). She's on the Longhorn Network which can be seen in approximately as many homes as my kids Christmas recital. She went to Jerry Falwell's Liberty University so it's possible the rush was so "Christian" could finally do some missionary work with her without offending her evangelical sensibilities. Here's hoping letting that cat out of it's cage has Ponder more worn out than Culpepper and friends after the sex cruise on Lake Minnetonka. As long as I'm working off color, lets remind everyone that the last time AP was in Houston the men in blue "contained" him pretty well (even if his lawyer eventually got him off). Plenty of juicy plot lines in this one.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/07/10/adrian-peterson-arrested-houston-nightclub-video/
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I think the tape of the three cheap shots Jared Allen took at Schaub's knees last time out ought to be required viewing for all Texans players this week, particularly the offensive line. Additionally, I would have them playing on a loop in the referees locker room, on the jumbotron before the game, and still shots in the kits provided to the media. For all the focus on bounty-gate, this was amongst the most blatant and repeated attempts to injure a player you will ever find. Again, this shot was cheap enough, but also needs to be viewed thru the lens of his 2 previous hits at Schaub's knee just a few plays earlier.

Below is just ONE of the 3 Allen hits in the game all aimed at the knee, the last one tearing his MCL and causing him to miss 5 games in the heart of the 2008 season (2-3). Allen drew a $50k fine which was laughable considering that's 0.16% of his guaranteed salary and in the current environment he would almost certainly have been suspended (see Joe Mays earlier this year). Personally, I had always liked Allen as a player who seemingly got his life in order after being a drunk and plays with the high motor we admire in JJ Watt and always missed in Mario, but he will always be tainted by his reprehensible conduct in this game.

I wish no ill will on the Vikings most of which weren't even around 2008, but Jared Allen is Texans enemy #1 now that Haynesworth is out of the game. I am all for sending a message early that we have neither forgotten, nor forgiven Allen for likely costing us our first playoff season that year. Any means necessary should be taken to keep Allen from getting close to Schaub unless its in the post game handshake where he should make proper amends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqjClE7cuk


Jared Allen is the furthest thing from a dirty player in this league. If he was going to blatantly try to injure a QB why wouldn't he go after Rodgers or Stafford?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5521
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
I think the tape of the three cheap shots Jared Allen took at Schaub's knees last time out ought to be required viewing for all Texans players this week, particularly the offensive line. Additionally, I would have them playing on a loop in the referees locker room, on the jumbotron before the game, and still shots in the kits provided to the media. For all the focus on bounty-gate, this was amongst the most blatant and repeated attempts to injure a player you will ever find. Again, this shot was cheap enough, but also needs to be viewed thru the lens of his 2 previous hits at Schaub's knee just a few plays earlier.

Below is just ONE of the 3 Allen hits in the game all aimed at the knee, the last one tearing his MCL and causing him to miss 5 games in the heart of the 2008 season (2-3). Allen drew a $50k fine which was laughable considering that's 0.16% of his guaranteed salary and in the current environment he would almost certainly have been suspended (see Joe Mays earlier this year). Personally, I had always liked Allen as a player who seemingly got his life in order after being a drunk and plays with the high motor we admire in JJ Watt and always missed in Mario, but he will always be tainted by his reprehensible conduct in this game.

I wish no ill will on the Vikings most of which weren't even around 2008, but Jared Allen is Texans enemy #1 now that Haynesworth is out of the game. I am all for sending a message early that we have neither forgotten, nor forgiven Allen for likely costing us our first playoff season that year. Any means necessary should be taken to keep Allen from getting close to Schaub unless its in the post game handshake where he should make proper amends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqjClE7cuk


Jared Allen is the furthest thing from a dirty player in this league. If he was going to blatantly try to injure a QB why wouldn't he go after Rodgers or Stafford?


1) He has racked up $80k in fines due to hits on Aaron Rodgers head alone and was taken to the league office after a particularly cheap one in 08.

2) His actions against Schaub (and Louis) stand on their own as does his status as the NFL fine leader in 2008 coming on the heals of being suspended in 2006 for his 3rd DUI. This "but he's a good guy" is the exact same "defense" Broncos fans used in justifying the Mays hit on Schaub (which was preceded by a Von Miller late hit the play before and them nailing our punt returner 2 plays before that). It really doesn't matter that by all accounts, Josh Brent is "a good guy", he had a previous DUI arrest and still took the wheel and killed his friend while clearly hammered and that will forever taint him regardless of all the good days in between. The cheap shots on Schaub may not be life and death, but reputations are often tainted forever by one action, better yet at least 4 in one game. Allen absolutely played dirty in that game in 2008 and that hit on Louis was ridiculous for someone you claim to be "the furthest thing" from being dirty. Allen is also regularly listed on those top 10 dirtiest players lists, so don't give me this "farthest thing" crap. That mullet won't hunt down here.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mse326


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 16047
Location: mike23md on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can continue this in the GDT
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group