Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giving Up on Players and Knee Jerks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Giving Up on Players and Knee Jerks Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of what I would consider giving up on players and making knee jerk reactions on players based on one game. Some of it might be warranted, a lot of it I think are just people not looking at the whole picture and wanting to always isolate one problem or another and saying that's how it always is. So I'm going to go through some of these players and my thoughts:

"Joe Morgan is a legit Deep Threat"
-He's caught 7 passes 310 yards with 2 TDs... awesome... that's his stats for the entire season. A legit deep threat needs to be utilized and successful averaging out to over 1 play per game IMO. Right now he's had 11 games with 7 catches, sure that's a lot of yards when he has caught the ball, but it hasn't happened enough for me to call him a legit deep threat.

"Mark Ingram sucks, he's just taking carries away from Thomas, Ivory, and Sproles."
-Ingram has been battling injuries and the playcalling hasn't exactly been the best for him. His vision has started improving and started to play better but his use in short yardage situations hurts his YPC. I believe next year when Payton is back and our playcalling isn't as predictable, I think you'll see a huge improvement from Ingram, provided he's not hurt still. I'm almost to the thought process he's in the Bush mode of being misused. He should be fed the ball more often as it seems the more carries he gets the stronger he gets and the better he plays.

"Roman Harper is a beast/sucks"
-He's both. Inside the redzone, attacking the LOS, and blitzing he's a beast. Coverage between the 20's is simply horrid and a big reason teams move the ball well on us between the 20s but fail in the redzone. One of the things we have to live with while Harper is on the team.

"Malcolm Jenkins sucks and needs replaced by Quddus"
-Jenkins is a leader of the defense, per Spags, has all the tools to be successful, but needs help. He's not Ed Reed or Darren Sharper so those who want him to be that type of centerfielder will be sadly mistaken. He won't cause a lot of INTs, he has made some mistakes this year, but as the year has worn on and the Spags coaching has took hold and the Gregg Williams mentality started to wear off his play vastly improved. He's still cheap so I think we end up keeping him, I think he might end up making the move to the SS position because the player that I can see him likened too that Spags drafted is Kenny Phillips. Able to cover, tackle (prior to GW ruined the entire team wanting kill shots), blitz, etc and could be a the starting SS if Harper is moved letting us draft a closer to centerfield FS.

"Quddus should start, he always makes plays"
-He could be a breakout player and I missed today's game, but he's been the back-up for awhile not for a reason and until there is more film on him teams won't gameplan for him the way they do normal starters. Now if Harper is moved and we keep Jenkins, which I think is most likely as Harper doesn't fit this scheme but could work great in Cinci or another place that likes attacking SS, then I could see him running the FS position, Jenkins at the SS position, and our safety play much more improved. Jenkins did as good of a job as could be expected on HOFer Tony Gonzales and other TEs when he's on them so maybe the move to SS might be best for him letting Quddus get a chance as a full-time starter.

"Cam Jordan is a bust and can't get pressure, we need to replace him"
-This one hasn't been as predominant lately because the pressure he was causing has finally started being shown on the stat sheet. He's been great in run support and with Spags has finally turned the corner and turned the almost plays, into actual plays. Same thing happened with Chris Long when Spags took over there so I expect similar progression from Jordan.

"Gallette/Wilson need more playing time, always makes a play when they are in"
-Agreed, but they are incomplete players at this time and will need to develop into more than just pass rushers. Both are great at getting to the QB, but hopefully this offseason learning more of what will be expected from them by Spags will get them the playing time they need.

That's just the ones off my head, I'm sure there are more, but post your owns, this is a good way to spark conversation IMO.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harper and Jenkins ones arent overreactions. They've both been god awful in coverage for their entire careers, Harper at least offers elite run defense. Malcolm Jenkins, I honestly don't see what he brings to this defense. At all. He's truly awful.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
The Harper and Jenkins ones arent overreactions. They've both been god awful in coverage for their entire careers, Harper at least offers elite run defense. Malcolm Jenkins, I honestly don't see what he brings to this defense. At all. He's truly awful.

I think a big problem here is that a lot of fans allow their emotions to get in the way of what they actually see on the field. Most fans of teams create emotional connections with players and they want to see those players succeed and when they aren't those fans begin to make excuses for those players.

I myself am guilty of this from time to time...

The fact is that this team has a number of long tenured veteran players who need to be let go. This team needs to follow in the direction the New England Pats did a few years ago when they decided to get younger and more athletic around their superstar quarterback. This is a young mans game, look at how all these rookies this year are flat out ballin!

Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Alfred Morris, Doug Martin, RG3, TY Hilton all rookies. Von Miller, JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, Geno Atkins, etc... all under 4 years in the NFL. I can go on and on.

The fact is the key to success in this league is having a veteran superstar quarterback and surrounding him with young, athletic playmakers. Hanging on to these aging veterans outside of Brees is holding this team back.

Quddus and Bush showed us all what young hungry players can do for a football team if given the opportunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Lombardi Gras

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FSP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: