Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Resting players
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Here is the issue with week 17

We are going to beat the Vikings this week and wrap up home field and all that. The real question will be this: can we keep the colts out of the playoffs? If tge answer is yes then we have to play starters simply because we don't want to see the colts in the playoffs

The stats guy in me really want to see Andre get 1500 yards this season to tie 2nd place in most 1500 yard season. He needs 140, so maybe he gets that against the Vikings

I would rather see the Colts in the playoffs than the Bengals or Steelers.

Agreed, but part of me wants to finally get a win in Indianapolis. It's been bugging me for a while. Laughing

Agreed! If we've got a chance to knock them out of the playoffs in their own place, I hope we do it in dominant fashion. Let em chew on that all offseason Twisted Evil

The colts scare me more in the playoffs than the Bengals or the Steelers. we have never sweep the colts and i kinda think its what we need to finally declare the colts control of this division is over

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't want us resting our starters against the Colts if we win against Minnesota. We're not that great after byes and 2 weeks of rust just doesn't sound good. The Packers last year after 2 weeks of no football were dropping balls left and right and overall stunk up the joint. Even with the risk of injury, at least play our starters in the first half. I also want Watt breaking the sack record and AJ breaking 1500 yards for the third time to help his Hall of Fame bid. Winning at Indy for the first time and not just conceding them the playoffs would be nice too. Laughing
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we should outright bench players, but taking them out of positions prone to risk (special teams), not overworking them (give frequent breathers during the game), and taking other common sense measures are no brainers, to me. Even this week. If Arian Foster gets more than 15 carries, I will flip.

Sig by matthouston91
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
I don't think we should outright bench players, but taking them out of positions prone to risk (special teams), not overworking them (give frequent breathers during the game), and taking other common sense measures are no brainers, to me. Even this week. If Arian Foster gets more than 15 carries, I will flip.

Ya the offense is in a great position with viable options behind everyone, TJ, Tate and Forsett, Clutts, Posey, Martin, Jean, Gardner, Caldwell, Jones, and White.

The D though has no depth right now...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Ya the offense is in a great position with viable options behind everyone, TJ, Tate and Forsett, Clutts, Posey, Martin, Jean, Gardner, Caldwell, Jones, and White.

Has enough depth to rotate Demps in for Quin and Manning every other series, and sit JJ for the week. We can afford to let Mercilus play more and spell Reed and Barwin. There might not be enough depth to sit everyone, but that's not what I'm advocating.

Sig by matthouston91
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Has enough depth to rotate Demps in for Quin and Manning every other series, and sit JJ for the week. We can afford to let Mercilus play more and spell Reed and Barwin. There might not be enough depth to sit everyone, but that's not what I'm advocating.

JJ is close to history, no way we sit anyone this week and I bet we try to pound the rock.....week 17 is another story
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

JJ is close to history, no way we sit anyone this week and I bet we try to pound the rock.....week 17 is another story

ya there is no way anyone gets any rest this week unless they cant play or we have the game well in hand

this game is the most important game of the season - we have to clinch home field so we dont have to go to Denver or New England

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

By JJ I meant Jonathan Joseph

Sig by matthouston91
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's a way you could exorcise all of your Colts demons from the past by first beating up first on the Colts, and then knocking Peyton Manning and the Broncos out of the playoffs. Is there any scenario where that could happen?

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

?

Before Watt became the beast that he is now, a lot of people referred to Jonathan Joseph as JJ for shorthand. I think it's a pretty reasonable thing.

Sig by matthouston91
canyon1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your right then it was changed to JJoe
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resting anyone this week is absurd as it could just force us into having to play week 17 as if it had meaning. If we have home field wrapped up in week 17, there is zero reason to play any starter that could possibly be missed in the playoffs if they were to get hurt. Lineup should look something like this:

Yates
Forsett
Clutts
Posey
Jean
Graham
Gardner
Brooks
White
Jones
Harris

Crick
McClain
Mitchell
Nading
Ruud
Sharpton
Braman
Harris
Nolan
Keo
Carmichael

There are always a few wrinkles like incentives based on starts, consecutive games streaks (Myers), and a "ceremonial" series may be required for a few starters, but acting like "momentum" means anything heading into the playoffs defies any logic that has starters sit out week 4 of the preseason. Playing AJ or Watt to build stats cases for awards would almost certainly backfire and is a risk Kubiak is smart enough to avoid. Personally, that Strahan sack record will always be tainted by the contrived Favre sack and Watt doesn't strike me as a guy who cares about individual honors anyway. AJ's legacy will be defined by playoff success henceforth and playing any of our guys on the north-side of 30 is simply a bad idea.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
mse326

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I don't think anyone was saying anything about this week

Week 17 I disagree with you however. We have a hard enough time getting up for games after a week off. I don't want 2. I'm fine with just doing it a series or 2, but we need to at least prepare them like they are going to play and start them.

#JDI
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
^I don't think anyone was saying anything about this week

Week 17 I disagree with you however. We have a hard enough time getting up for games after a week off. I don't want 2. I'm fine with just doing it a series or 2, but we need to at least prepare them like they are going to play and start them.

No way. There is a mountain of difference in preparing for a playoff game at home vs. week 9 vs. the Bills or week 12 vs the Jags (both games we still won - btw). If the Texans lose anyone in a meaningless week 17 game we will be the laughingstock of the league and deservedly so. While it may not be as drastic as I propose, if Matt Schaub takes a single snap it should elicit a Buddy Ryan - Kevin Gilbride type punch to the face of Kubiak. You didn't see the Packers run Rodgers out there in week 17 last year did you and we ought to pray for Matt Flynn-esque numbers that we could parlay into TJ Yates as the next QB of the Raiders. JJ Watt getting a sack record won't help us one iota in the playoffs while having him injured would instantly alter our playoff prospects in a way no less impactful than losing Schaub did last year.

Don't forget we played Jake Delhomme last year after TJ got hit hard in his first series and AJ played only a few series in our meaningless week 17 game last year. Kubiak essentially conceded the game in week 17 last year against the Titans by going for a 2 point conversion with the game on the line from the 7 yard line. Do you not recall Garrett Graham playing LB by the end of that game? Bad things happen in meaningless games all the time (just ask Minny last year although it seems to have made AP bionic this year). Drew Brees went down in a meaningless Week 17 game in 05 that ended his Chargers career and he also got hurt in the 06 Pro Bowl. If we have any doubts about our ability to "get up" for 2 playoff games at home separating us from the Super Bowl because of a 2 week layoff, we've got bigger problems.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: