Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Johnson's Future Uncertain?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VYoung10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ was a great RB this year when our o-line was actually clicking. Then they started falling. What do you expect the guy to do?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
Dionysus wrote:
s_camp wrote:

Do you think 20 carries for 28 yards is acceptable?

Answer me this. Name somebody who you just know can run behind this weak a$$ O-line of ours. When the RB follows his "blockers" and heads for a crease, but the defender is already there waiting on him, is that the runners fault that he gets hit for a loss or no gain?

I'll take that as a "no" in response to my question.

Nobody would look great behind this OL. But a RB who would just take the handoff and run forward, hard would do better than 1.4 YPC. It's not CJ's fault that there's a defender in the hole, but it's his fault that he stops moving his feet and takes the hit rather than giving it. That could be a half yard difference on average, maybe a yard.

Actually, to answer your question the answer would be "No" IF he was running behind a fairly decent O-line, but he's not. At the moment he's running behind a makeshift 2nd and 3rd string unit, basically held together with duck tape and chewing gum. IMO, he's doing good to even get any positive yards with our blockers along with defenders already in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball.

And takes the hit rather than giving it? Really? In order to deliver a hit, you at least have to have some momentum to give you some force behind it. And you cant build momentum if you're stopped before you can get started. You're talking like CJ is the type who smashes and runs over people, and that's not his style at all. He'll finish his runs with a head-on shoulder charge, but that's AFTER he makes the run, not while he's looking for room to run. Bottom line, I'm not so much worried about his overall YPC as long as he can still break loose, make plays and keep defenses worried about him. CJ is going to play his game the way he knows how. From what I've seen, it the rest of the offense who really needs to step up.

titanrick

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit I hadn't been paying much attention to CJ's pass protection this year, but that little highlight reel Gruden played before the game opened my eyes to it. Then, I noticed similar tough blocking and blitz pick-up in the game. I was impressed. Obviously, that alone is not worth the money CJ is getting, but I think it's a factor in the discussion.

The question is not, and has never been, "Is CJ a good RB?" Not many guys (ok, no one in the history of the NFL) can break 80+ yard TD runs with the same regularity. He has three again this year and was supposedly washed up last year. Of course he's a valuable weapon. The real question is, "Is the bump in production you get from him over an average NFL RB worth the additional cost in his contract?" I'm not so sure but we don't appear to be cash-strapped at the moment so why not spend it on him?

Congrats, Seahawk fans!
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think his best role is the one he had when Lendale White was starting. Obviously, you need someone better than White though.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
I still think his best role is the one he had when Lendale White was starting. Obviously, you need someone better than White though.

This was something I stated earlier, that he needs to be in more of a 2 RB system with a either a power runner who can smash and ware down defenses or someone who can carry the load while giving him a breather. Don't just put it all on him to carry a lopsided majority of the load with a huge drop off in production as well.
s_camp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
And takes the hit rather than giving it? Really? In order to deliver a hit, you at least have to have some momentum to give you some force behind it.

Well, you're right about that.
justing101

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chris Johnson's roster spot is "fine," and the boom-or-bust tailback is expected to be back with the Titans in 2013.
Citing team sources, Rapoport stated on Total Access Tuesday evening that the Titans are expected to guarantee $9 million of Johnson's $10 million 2013 salary by the February 9 deadline. While Johnson has been incredibly inconsistent the past two seasons, he's still on pace for 1,325 rushing yards at nearly 5.0 yards per carry. It hasn't escaped the front office's notice that Johnson also offers the only marquee name with star power on the team.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justing101 wrote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chris Johnson's roster spot is "fine," and the boom-or-bust tailback is expected to be back with the Titans in 2013.
Citing team sources, Rapoport stated on Total Access Tuesday evening that the Titans are expected to guarantee $9 million of Johnson's $10 million 2013 salary by the February 9 deadline. While Johnson has been incredibly inconsistent the past two seasons, he's still on pace for 1,325 rushing yards at nearly 5.0 yards per carry. It hasn't escaped the front office's notice that Johnson also offers the only marquee name with star power on the team.

We're the Titans, do we really care about that?
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people like to quote PFF stats about the offensive line to tell them how bad our offensive line is....

but there is some information out there about how they are the best "blocking line" in the NFL and how CJ has been performing.

Just throwing it out there.....
justing101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
I know a lot of people like to quote PFF stats about the offensive line to tell them how bad our offensive line is....

but there is some information out there about how they are the best "blocking line" in the NFL and how CJ has been performing.

Watching them play, I am 100% positive that that is more incorrect than saying December 22nd will not come around.

I am sure we are not the absolute worst in the league blocking but we are no where close to the best either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:

And I'm throwing it right back where it came from. That is patently false. They were doing a very nice job after the first few games, but now with the injuries piling up it's really not even their fault they're playing poorly. What can you expect of an OL composed almost entirely of backups and guys playing out of position?

Either way...this "best blocking line" business is mularkey.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:

ok...post your information.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just was passing along what I caught on the radio.

I don't believe in all that PFF stuff. But I know they have been referenced many times to prove how bad the line has been.

The PFF stat was something like they are the best in the league at blockign before the RB gets contact. Something like 2.6 yards or something like that. Do i believe that? Naw. Is Cj's long runs throwing off that averages? How they get to those numbers?

Then they apparently also made an argument on why the Titans should cut CJ.

Carry on...
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Just was passing along what I caught on the radio.

I don't believe in all that PFF stuff. But I know they have been referenced many times to prove how bad the line has been.

The PFF stat was something like they are the best in the league at blockign before the RB gets contact. Something like 2.6 yards or something like that. Do i believe that? Naw. Is Cj's long runs throwing off that averages? How they get to those numbers?

Then they apparently also made an argument on why the Titans should cut CJ.

Carry on...

Hmm..yeah, since this is the first week I have heard about PFF stats that were positive for our O-line and it comes after a 94 yard TD without contact, the stat does seem sketchy.

Adopt-A-Titan 2013-14
- Kendall Wright 73 rec 857 yd 2 TD <3
- Shonn Greene 49 car 190 yd 3 TD
s_camp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way our OL is ranked first in the league, but they're a lot better than most give them credit for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: