Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Johnson's Future Uncertain?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coolconman1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Chris Johnson's Future Uncertain? Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8751802/tennessee-titans-window-decide-chris-johnson-deal

Basically the Titans can cut Johnson with no cap penalty. What do you think happens? I believe getting rid of CJ would be a huge mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Johnson's Future Uncertain? Reply with quote

Coolconman1 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8751802/tennessee-titans-window-decide-chris-johnson-deal

Basically the Titans can cut Johnson with no cap penalty. What do you think happens? I believe getting rid of CJ would be a huge mistake.

IMO cutting him would be a very foolish move. Unless we're going to replace him with the likes of Adrian Peterson, we better let him stay put and keep revamping that O-line.
justing101

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Johnson's Future Uncertain? Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
Coolconman1 wrote:

IMO cutting him would be a very foolish move. Unless we're going to replace him with the likes of Adrian Peterson, we better let him stay put and keep revamping that O-line.

I must agree.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes averaging 4.7 YPC and is having his best year in the past 3 years. Our starting o-line has 4 players on the IR and a banged up Roos at LT.

Since week 3, hes averaging 100 YPG rushing at over 5 YPC.

The Titans are already WAY under the cap and never spend the money, hes the Titans marquee player and the only person that scares other teams. What a great way to help Locker develop next year by allowing other teams to put all of their focus on him instead.

The Titans are not drafting a RB early next year, so who is going to replace him?
-Munch-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see him lasting much longer. His legs aren't what they used to be and I don't see him continuing to get better. I think it's a steady decline from here on out so might as well cut ties and hope to get a good FA or rookie.
VYoung10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a great back and only plays better with a better line. He's the 8th rb in history to start his career off with 1000+ yards in his first five seasons. He's part of the piece of puzzle we need here and IMO we need to keep him

2014 Adopt a Titan:
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83 - CUT
Coolconman1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't believe that anybody would be considering letting him go. Why would we give up on CJ now???

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolconman1 wrote:
I just can't believe that anybody would be considering letting him go. Why would we give up on CJ now???

Exactly. I know CJ isn't the back he once was but he's still a valuable back. Who would we start that'll be better than CJ? Reggie Bush? Rashad Mendenhall? Jamie Harper? A mid round rookie? I know CJ isn't worth his contract at this point. However there's no one out there that's a better option.

Zach Brown-Injured (Out for Year)
Taylor Thompson-2 rec, 24 yards, 0 TDs
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he continued to struggle from last season, he'd be let go.

But he's turned it around this season. I believe we hold onto him.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
Coolconman1 wrote:

Exactly. I know CJ isn't the back he once was but he's still a valuable back. Who would we start that'll be better than CJ? Reggie Bush? Rashad Mendenhall? Jamie Harper? A mid round rookie? I know CJ isn't worth his contract at this point. However there's no one out there that's a better option.

Plenty of good RB's will be in the draft this year. Tavon Austin type of player is a good look.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:
Coolconman1 wrote:

Plenty of good RB's will be in the draft this year.
Tavon Austin type of player is a good look.

And that's also plenty of hit or miss. You're talking about letting go of a proven playmaker who's going into the prime years of his career, only to roll the dice hoping to find another? The old saying "A bird in the hand..." really applies here. People have been talking about CJ like he's been in the league for 8-9 years and has been worn down like Eddie was late in his career. He's not carrying the ball 400 times a season, he hasn't been hampered with injuries, and his production hasn't dramatically tanked like people keep exaggerating. He's still a dangerous player who can score from any area on the field and give defenses fits, which is far more than I can say for any of his backups.

The so-called "problem" is, as Titans fans, we've gotten spoiled to seeing him rip those big 75 and 80+ yard runs every other game and put up those monster numbers like he did in his '09 season. Dashing for 15, 20, 30 or anything less than 50 yards is just not good enough for some of us. We want to say that he's lost a step. Well if that IS the case, his lost step is still better than a lot of RB's best effort. I guess that means instead of running 4.2, he's slowed down to a crawling 4.3 or 4.4. Yeah, his career's definitely near the end at that snail's pace. All he needs to do is run with a chip on his shoulder like he used to. Since there are good RBs in this draft, if anything, we don't need to replace CJ with one of them, we need to ADD some better depth behind him. Preferably, I want a power RB to compliment CJ's style because Harper is just weak, plain and simple. I do believe Blount is a FA this season and Tampa shows no interest in re-signing him. This could be our chance to right a wrong if we're smart...just putting it out there.

lamont

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like his salary cap # next year, but with the salary cap floor. The Titans have to have a few heavy salaries to keep them above that salary cap floor. If they finally address the OL for real, then I think he will be fine. I say keep him.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
KingTitan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he should be let go, but we need a better backup. CJ is mentally fragile. I know our line isn't the best and a lot of blame can go to them.
But CJ also carries blame too when the run game is bad. He lets early struggle knock him off for the rest of the game.
It was mentioned if he doesn't hit it early, then he will start seeing "ghosts" and cut back too soon, missing holes, etc....

I want a better back up. Someone that can be a runner when CJ wants to tip toe around he holes.
VYoung10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
I don't think he should be let go, but we need a better backup. CJ is mentally fragile. I know our line isn't the best and a lot of blame can go to them.
But CJ also carries blame too when the run game is bad. He lets early struggle knock him off for the rest of the game.
It was mentioned if he doesn't hit it early, then he will start seeing "ghosts" and cut back too soon, missing holes, etc....

I want a better back up. Someone that can be a runner when CJ wants to tip toe around he holes.

What do you mean by this?

2014 Adopt a Titan:
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83 - CUT
justing101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

What do you mean by this?

I take it as when he gets destroyed as soon as he gets the ball and has no chance, it messes with him so when he actually does not get destroyed he can't showcase his true abilities because it has messed with him so much by getting destroyed Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: