Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Just When You Had Hopes Of A Top 10 Pick GDT: SD vs CAR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
.com forums are basically a dumpster fire that has ignited and burned the entire city.

And that's the reason why I'm here. There may only be 8-9 of us, but everybody is pretty level headed, and everybody mostly knows what they're talking about.

Yeah, i've given up talking draft with some of them, they just cant get it though their thick heads that because Te'o is a big name doesn't mean he's some special prospect.

Draft guys are good like Kemp, T4AR, etc. But the people who don't know the draft just say trade Rivers for whatever, and pick a new QB. Like honestly, they don't even know the drafts.

You have to remember that too many of those guys are USC homers who were literally personally offended when we didn't use a 1st round pick on Rey Maualuga (irony being that I honestly believe we were targeting Cushing until Houston jacked him one pick ahead of us). So no doubt, those folks all believe we should just trade Rivers away (because they were so offended that we just let Brees walk and didn't get any return for him... oh and Turner) and draft Noodle Arm Barkley.

Yeah, I'm sure plenty think that, but there are a good select few who are really knowledgeable about the draft.

You should see the argument (can't even really call it a debate since debates entail both sides actually presenting evidence) I got into on Bolttalk when some guy (with 2 posts to his name mind you) flipped out because I said Mant'i Te'o had "limited athleticism" and "flawed technique". I was told that he didn't care what the college tape showed the tape that mattered the most was his pro tape (yeah, because we're able to look into the future and see that, right?). Laughing

People think I have an agenda against Te'o. Well, maybe I do, but people are like do you think we will take Te'o if we have a top 10 pick? Jimmy Raye or whoever the next GM is should be fired on site if that happens. Of course, casual fans would eat it up.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man what a poor showing. Just the final nail in the coffin I guess.

Who do you think gets the start at runningback?
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Man what a poor showing. Just the final nail in the coffin I guess.

Who do you think gets the start at runningback?

I'd guess it will be Battle. I'm all for them giving it to Edwin Baker. Might as well see what they've got.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now would be an opportune time to do to some other team what the Vikings did to us last season with Todman, and just pilfer a RB who was drafted but is presently sitting on a practice squad (if there are any... I'm looking).

Edit: Or I do believe Todman's also on the waiver wire.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Actually, now would be an opportune time to do to some other team what the Vikings did to us last season with Todman, and just pilfer a RB who was drafted but is presently sitting on a practice squad (if there are any... I'm looking).

Why poach from another team's PS when Edwin Baker is sitting right there? He at least know the playbook.

kramxel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:

To this day I'm still not sure why we let Todman go...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
game3525

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
The LBC wrote:

To this day I'm still not sure why we let Todman go...

Pass protection.

It is a pity since I think he had more ability then Brinkley.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Brinkley. I can't believe they let Sproles walk, pulled an offer from Tolbert, cut Hester, and worst of all, blew a 1st and 2nd on Mathews.

game3525

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Forget Brinkley. I can't believe they let Sproles walk, pulled an offer from Tolbert, cut Hester, and worst of all, blew a 1st and 2nd on Mathews.

Yeah, I can't wait till AJ is gone in two weeks.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Yeah, I can't wait till AJ is gone in two weeks.

I've been trying to pry intell out of Acee (since he's usually pretty good about responding to my tweets and seems to be more "rogue"/objective now that Gehlkin's covering the team beat and he hasn't got that shtick anymore) as to whether - from the perspective of someone who has observed both firsthand - going from AJ to Raye is really invoking that much change or whether it's just nameplate-swapping.

No answer yet, but I'm hoping he has the stones to offer something up. I'm also now somewhat on the fence about whether or not I want Ed McGuire back (I assume unless someone comes at AJ with a new gig that he's likely to stay - but then again he may not be too keen on being passed over as the sitting AGM for the promotion or even an interview). On one hand McGuire has been pretty darn good in enabling us to work within the confines of the cap regularly and never having money be an issue. On the other, there's these dealings like we're reading about in hindsight with Tolbert where deals were drafted, offered, and then reneged on. Now granted, McGuire has always been more the numbers/contract guy, and the decision to yank the deal back could have been solely AJ's, but you'd think someone would have the stones to say something.

I'm still going into this off-season, much like Boltstrikes is, with low expectations (or at least heavily-tempered ones) and I'll be more than happy to be pleasantly (or greater than that) surprised if they're greatly exceeded. I fully expect Dean's choice for next HC to be far more driven by getting butts through the gates and selling tickets than it will be "being competitive over the long-term," much less getting us to a Super Bowl or Lombardi trophy. The real question I have is how in-touch Dean is with what even the layman (potentially "bandwagon") Chargers fan wants.

The obvious choices there would probably be Gruden or Cowher, but both of those may be unattainable unless Dean's willing to really break out the checkbook (which given his reluctance to put forward any kind of scratch towards a new stadium endeavor while also perpetually harping on the city/county for such an endeavor seems pretty unlikely). So who does that really leave? Even the layman fans don't want Wade or Cam back. Yes, they're all echoing the cries that anyone is a better option than Norv, but I hardly believe that people necessarily want Joe Schmoe off the street simply because "he's not Norv."

David Shaw just signed a fresh extension with Stanford this week, so I'd anticipate he's there till at least that young QB that's succeeded Luck declares for the draft. I don't believe that the USC connection alone is enough to make Jack Del Rio (not that I want him, just exploring options) marketable to the fans, even in the LA market-share. And despite his past success and name recognition, hiring Andy Reid coming off a season where his own team is likely to finish with a worse record than Norv coached us to this season is going to be an extremely tough sell.

One thing's certain, he's going to need to appeal either to a good deal of the old and former season ticket holders that have since declined their option to renew in the wake of retaining Norv and AJ this long and missing the playoffs this long or he's going to need to do something that sparks some serious interest in new season ticket customers. Several years ago this would have been a slam dunk case for bringing in Pete Carroll (particularly in the wake of his abandoning the sinking USC ship) and we're two years late for the Jim Harbaugh train.

So legitimately who does that leave that fits the parameters of being marketable to the "non-hardcore" (read; the ones who actually need convincing to tune in or buy tickets when they can afford it) fan bases in SD and LA that is both available and not going to cost Dean a small fortune to buy out of an existing network/coaching contract?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the lack of a big name coaches on the open market will force Dean to make his decision based on football. There are a ton of good coordinators out there that can come in right away and have an impact (ex. Mike McCoy, Vic Fangio, Mike Nolan, Bruce Arians etc.)

For all the bad personnel decisions of the last 3-4 years the team isn't that far off and with a good offseason they could win 9-10 games in 2013.

Last edited by game3525 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either going to be a big name, or another guy like Norv, former HC now a OC/DC. I can't see a college coach, or a young guy.

I really can't see them breaking the bank for a Gruden/Cower. It's just too much money for a team that doesn't make a lot. Reid is the most likely guy if they're going to spend.

I was actually thinking Del Rio was going to be on the list. He fits the mold, and stealing a coach from Denver would be cool. Bruce Arians is somebody else that might be on the list. It's going to depend Pagano's heath on whether Arians is allowed to interview.

game3525

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be up in arms about Del-Rio,but if we steal a coach from Denver I rather it be McCoy(we have to get Rivers back on track, or it won't matter who is wearing the headset).
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Whitehurst for HC. We'd instantly have the best looking HC and the hair would lead us to the SB.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers rookie SS Brandon Taylor is expected to start Sunday's game against the Jets.
The Chargers are going to use the final two games as an evaluation for Taylor, who will be making his first career start. The third-round pick replaces Corey Lynch as a "box" safety next to Eric Weddle.

Now if they were only smart enough to do the same with some of the other guys (Baker, Mouton, Green...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: