Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Conflicting Reports: Will Jermichael Finely Return?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blankman0021

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Conflicting Reports: Will Jermichael Finely Return? Reply with quote

Report: Packers to part ways with Finley

Not a huge surprise to anybody. But pretty significant news. I don't understand why they would bring this up now and totally lose a significant amount of trade leverage. Now many teams will be hoping that he is cut.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness, that clown has been asking for it for months.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over/Under on Finley ending up with the Patriots....?

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
RG25

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad he is getting cut. Wished they wouldn't have announced it now though. What could the Packers really have gotten out of Finley? 3rd maybe?, 4th? If they could manage to trade him.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really disappointed that this is coming out before the playoff run.
Siv

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm about the last Finley fan left. This news saddens me. Feel like he hasn't got his fair share of targets this year. I wanted to see him play out his contract and then make a decision after that. In the end if it frees up money for Matthews, Raji, Rodgers then it's OK I guess. Still not sure where I stand on Jennings at this point.
Nihc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:

Good... Good.

But seriously, Gronk Hern, Ballard, Finley. 4 Spread-heavy formation.

2014 Adopt-a-Patriot - Dominique Easley
Tackles: 0 | Sacks: 0 | QB Hits: 0 | TFL: 0 | Fumble Recoveries: 0
rbens06

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might hurt his trade value, but I think his drop in production and drops have done more damage to that. Plus he is known to have outbursts to the media that some teams might not want to deal with. This could be a final message to shape up or ship out to Finley, which doesn't seem to be the case, but the Packers may know/see that the market for him would have been limited and this really would not change that. A team mentioned as a trade spot, Oakland, would not put much care into the releasing aspect because they know in order to get him they would have to trade for him.
strat1080

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siv wrote:
Guess I'm about the last Finley fan left. This news saddens me. Feel like he hasn't got his fair share of targets this year. I wanted to see him play out his contract and then make a decision after that. In the end if it frees up money for Matthews, Raji, Rodgers then it's OK I guess. Still not sure where I stand on Jennings at this point.

It really shouldn't sadden you. He is the 5th highest player on the team. He isn't even coming close to warranting that kind of paycheck. It seems that Finley talks up a storm leading up to big games and shrinks under the bright lights. McGinn's article was a good read. He is the 6th highest paid TE in the NFL and one NFC personnel guy said he rated Finley as the 22nd best TE based off reviewing tape.

Finley hasn't done squat to earn that contract he signed. He just isn't making any of the splash plays and tough catches that you would expect from an elite TE. Finley is being payed like an elite TE and he simply isn't one. I don't think they would be losing anything at all with Quarless back.

I said it before in another thread. If it came down to Jennings vs Finley I would take Jennings hands down. And it looks like the Packers are going that way. I doubt they let both Finley and Jennings in the same offseason. Jennings has been a very consistent player for the Packers. Yes he's struggled with injuries the last few years but if anything I think that will actually keep him in Green Bay. You know what you're going to get from Jennings when he suits up. Finley has been invisible almost all year. He drops way too many easy catches that you would expect an elite TE to grab.

He also rarely makes that difficult play that you would expect from a Gronk or Graham. I'm tired of Finley putting his foot in his mouth over and over. In that article that McGinn wrote, an NFC personnel guy said, "He seems to always say the wrong thing at the wrong time". And I agree with that.

It seems that whenever the Packers are facing adversity, that's when we always hear from Finley about not being on the same page with Rodgers or some other silly thing. He simply isn't acting like a professional. Those issues need to be worked out in person. Not being tweeted for all the media to comment on. Its truly sad but Brian Urlacher totally put Finley in his place. Its hard for me to side with the enemy but Urlacher's comments were spot on. The Packers did indeed win a Super Bowl without Finley in a season that he only suited up for 5 games. He is not irreplacable and certainly is not worthy of being the 5th highest player on the team. This team simply has way more pressing contractual needs than trying to keep Finley with his massive contract and personal baggage.
strat1080

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
It might hurt his trade value, but I think his drop in production and drops have done more damage to that. Plus he is known to have outbursts to the media that some teams might not want to deal with. This could be a final message to shape up or ship out to Finley, which doesn't seem to be the case, but the Packers may know/see that the market for him would have been limited and this really would not change that. A team mentioned as a trade spot, Oakland, would not put much care into the releasing aspect because they know in order to get him they would have to trade for him.

Yeah. Who knows maybe its a calculated effort for TT and MM to motive Finley to get his act together. This can't continue though. Right now if you gave me the choice to keep Greg Jennings or Finley I'll take Jennings all day long.

A year ago I'm not sure that would have been the case and I think the Packers were in the same boat. They were probably intending to keep Finley and let Jennings walk. I've seen enough from Finley to know that he's immature and can't be trusted. You don't make a player like that one of the highest paid players on the team. I don't see the Packers letting both Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley leave in the same offseason. That coupled with Driver as an almost virtual lock to not be in the team would be way too much in one offseason. I think the Packers decided that Jennings is more valuable to the team. I don't think re-signing him would really have that big of an impact. He was the 2nd highest paid WR in the NFL when he signed his new deal. His new contract might actually be less due to the recent injury history. I trust Greg way more than Jermichael. As a performer on the field and as a mature professional athlete off of it.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm why would they release this info at this point?

Ya not buying it..

El Ramster on the amazing work
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the ultimate Ted Thompson troll?

"You want to get paid and have a job with another team Finley, show them. Show the world. Destroy the defense. Help lead the Packers to another Superbowl title. Yes... Yes.. Twisted Evil "

God, family, and the Green Bay Packers; in that order.
justo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
First reaction to this was "oh, Bill could totally flip this". Anyone think we can net more than a 4th in a trade?

Quote:
2/22/2012: Signed a two-year, $14 million contract. The deal included a $1 million signing bonus. Another $1 million is available through incentives. Finley is eligible for $300,000 offseason workout bonuses in each season. 2012: $950,000 (+ $3.5 million roster bonus), 2013: $4.45 million (+ $3.5 million roster bonus due in March), 2014: Free Agent

The way it's set up is we only owe 500,000 as a cap hit for releasing him/trading him before March..wow. IIRC roster bonuses count as money that also comes off the cap. If we wait till after March that number gets to 4,000,000. Big difference. The other team would have to be willing to take in around 7.95-8.25 million depending on the work out stuff. The more I look into this the more it should be apparent that this was a one year opt out from the get go.

Can we trade Finley before March? He doesn't really matter as far as comp picks go so literally anything would be better than what we cut him for. If we wait till after March his cap cost goes up 700%.

Does the cap hit take place for 2013 or 2014 if it is before March? Could be 7.75-8.25 off our cap in 2013 Shocked Clay and Aaron locked up. Maybe a run for Jennings now?

#FREEBARRINGTON
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say this. Hate him or love him, no matter what you say about Finley, nobody else has stepped up to take his job. Everybody has seen snaps and nobody has taken the job from him. So unless you think Mike McCarthy and his staff are idiots he must still give us the best chance to win. A lot of people will be happy if Finley is gone, but be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
mikemike778

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fair bit in the story referring to his lack of effort and what he says to the media.

Sounds like a kick up the butt to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: