You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Conflicting Reports: Will Jermichael Finely Return?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 14349
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Those numbers are close, but Finley's number this year is a hair under 8.5 mil, prorating his 1 mil signing bonus.
it was 2 years 14 million. if you are comparing per year of a contract league wide compared to one year it's gonna look messed up. If you do it that way you can say Finley was really valuable in 2012 because his contract was so small. I think we should give him three years. Get the money he's getting now (above his average per year the next couple years) and prorate it over the three. He makes more money 2/3 years. He's still getting the money that's owed to him for taking a tiny contract this year. We extend him and take less of a cap hit so we can resign guys. I don't think Jones and Nelson will both be back with us for their next contracts. Finley is still young and you can argue he has more value than either of them because his deep threat ability.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 12051
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Those numbers are close, but Finley's number this year is a hair under 8.5 mil, prorating his 1 mil signing bonus.
it was 2 years 14 million. if you are comparing per year of a contract league wide compared to one year it's gonna look messed up. If you do it that way you can say Finley was really valuable in 2012 because his contract was so small. I think we should give him three years. Get the money he's getting now (above his average per year the next couple years) and prorate it over the three. He makes more money 2/3 years. He's still getting the money that's owed to him for taking a tiny contract this year. We extend him and take less of a cap hit so we can resign guys. I don't think Jones and Nelson will both be back with us for their next contracts. Finley is still young and you can argue he has more value than either of them because his deep threat ability.


Fine then use the 7.5 number. The average of the 2 years. It still puts him #1 on that list.

All I can say to resigning him is HELL NO. He hasn't proven to be worth near this current deal and you want to give him this same amount over 3 years? I see no reason at all to invest any more in Finley at this point in time.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blankman0021


Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 2755
Location: MKE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
justo wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Those numbers are close, but Finley's number this year is a hair under 8.5 mil, prorating his 1 mil signing bonus.
it was 2 years 14 million. if you are comparing per year of a contract league wide compared to one year it's gonna look messed up. If you do it that way you can say Finley was really valuable in 2012 because his contract was so small. I think we should give him three years. Get the money he's getting now (above his average per year the next couple years) and prorate it over the three. He makes more money 2/3 years. He's still getting the money that's owed to him for taking a tiny contract this year. We extend him and take less of a cap hit so we can resign guys. I don't think Jones and Nelson will both be back with us for their next contracts. Finley is still young and you can argue he has more value than either of them because his deep threat ability.


Fine then use the 7.5 number. The average of the 2 years. It still puts him #1 on that list.

All I can say to resigning him is HELL NO. He hasn't proven to be worth near this current deal and you want to give him this same amount over 3 years? I see no reason at all to invest any more in Finley at this point in time.



I think he was saying extend him for a few years at a reduced rate. Lets say his contract is worth 1 year at 7.5 right now- then extend him 3 years and make the total deal 4 years, 16 million. That makes him happy, and decreases his per year number putting him in place with his value. It also makes Jennings expendable saving us 10+Mill. Like it or not, after Finley shut up, he started to earn his deal.
_________________
The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kampman74


Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 9765
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
spilltray wrote:
GBPackers79 wrote:
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne

MM: I really felt Jermichael Finley was a different man, a different player from the bye week on. ...There's a change in that young man.


I just have a problem sinking that much cash into a guy that runs so hot and cold and hasn't shown he "gets it" yet. All he's done is flash at times and he's being paid like he's arrived. It's just too much of a bad value gamble for me to get behind keeping him under any circumstances.

Hopefully he played his way into being tradeable, but I wouldn't hold my breath there.


Its a one year deal, I don't see why you would get worried. Its like a franchise tag, he sucks next year he's gone. He's great and he gets extended, I love how the deal broke down.


Yep we basically have no money to spend either. Clay, Raji and Rodgers are going to command huge bucks.


That's hogwash. We've got plenty of money to bring those guys back. Especially with the likely departures Greg Jennings, Jeff Saturday, Charles Woodson, Donald Driver and possibly AJ Hawk. I wouldn't worry about that...

And Finley is the 9th highest paid TE in the league. He has tons of potential, the kid is 24 years old and he really did turn a corner in the second half of the year.


Clay makes nothing right now and would get paid like on the highest 34OLB. Raji will make higher end 34 NT he makes about half of that right. And Rodgers will break the bank he currently only makes about 9 million that number will at least get doubled. Shields also might be a nice deal soon here. I think as usually with TT you take care of your own and build through the draft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 49485
Location: mike23md on the dope sig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Yep we basically have no money to spend either. Clay, Raji and Rodgers are going to command huge bucks.


2Bigby0 is right. By cutting Charles Woodson and Jeff Saturday, the Packers save 13.75 million. Figure a contract extension similar to Tamba Hali is what Clay has in store, means around an AAV of 11 million or a raise of a little under 10 million, so you've got about 4.25 million from this year alone. I can't see Raji eclipsing the 8 million that Wilfork got, so I'll project 7 million which would be about a 3 million jump and eat up the rest of this year's "extra" cap space.

Figure in with Ryan Pickett (5.9 million), John Kuhn (2.25 million), and Jermichael Finley (7+ million) as more than enough money to help re-sign Rodgers.
_________________

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JBURGE25


Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 18592
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
Yep we basically have no money to spend either. Clay, Raji and Rodgers are going to command huge bucks.


2Bigby0 is right. By cutting Charles Woodson and Jeff Saturday, the Packers save 13.75 million. Figure a contract extension similar to Tamba Hali is what Clay has in store, means around an AAV of 11 million or a raise of a little under 10 million, so you've got about 4.25 million from this year alone. I can't see Raji eclipsing the 8 million that Wilfork got, so I'll project 7 million which would be about a 3 million jump and eat up the rest of this year's "extra" cap space.

Figure in with Ryan Pickett (5.9 million), John Kuhn (2.25 million), and Jermichael Finley (7+ million) as more than enough money to help re-sign Rodgers.


So that basically, in 2 years time, Rodgers + Raji + Matthews to keep at the expense of Finley and Kuhn (because Woody, Jennings, Pickett would be gone anyways). We have to give up those 2 to keep the big 3. I can deal with that.

That just means we need to hit on a WR and TE in the next 2 drafts, because we can't afford a free agent and I don't see Gurley as more than a back up.
_________________

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 49485
Location: mike23md on the dope sig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Coach Mike McCarthy in his season-ending press conference Tuesday endorsed Finley to a degree that almost certainly means the tight end will be back next season.


http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130115/PKR01/130115075/Coaches-take-notice-more-mature-productive-Finley?gcheck=1

I'll go ahead and edit the title.
_________________

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
IrishGreen


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 40827
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Quote:
Coach Mike McCarthy in his season-ending press conference Tuesday endorsed Finley to a degree that almost certainly means the tight end will be back next season.


http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130115/PKR01/130115075/Coaches-take-notice-more-mature-productive-Finley?gcheck=1

I'll go ahead and edit the title.


good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kampman74


Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 9765
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
Yep we basically have no money to spend either. Clay, Raji and Rodgers are going to command huge bucks.


2Bigby0 is right. By cutting Charles Woodson and Jeff Saturday, the Packers save 13.75 million. Figure a contract extension similar to Tamba Hali is what Clay has in store, means around an AAV of 11 million or a raise of a little under 10 million, so you've got about 4.25 million from this year alone. I can't see Raji eclipsing the 8 million that Wilfork got, so I'll project 7 million which would be about a 3 million jump and eat up the rest of this year's "extra" cap space.

Figure in with Ryan Pickett (5.9 million), John Kuhn (2.25 million), and Jermichael Finley (7+ million) as more than enough money to help re-sign Rodgers.


Don't forget a surprise contract like Shields. That could cut into some big bucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2Bigby0


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 649
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be saying goodbye to the following players:

Greg Jennings
Donald Driver
Cedric Benson
AJ Hawk
Charles Woodson
Jeff Saturday
John Kuhn
Ryan Grant
Jarrett Bush
Erik Walden
Jarrett Boykin
Tom Crabtree
Robert Francois

I'd Restructure Ryan Pickett to a more cap friendly deal

I'd sign Clay and Raji to extensions this offseason and wait until next offseason for A-Rod

Sign EDS and Shields now to 3 year deals before they get expensive

Sign Brad Jones

Leaves room for potentially 1 mid-level FA

Bring in ILB, OLB, DE/DT, G/C, TE, WR and QB via the draft

That's my archair GM house cleaning
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GBPackers79


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 20174
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you saying goodbye to Jarrett Bush?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MNPackfan32


Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 10197
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how Finley played at the end of this year, so is it wrong of me to really want Tyler Eifert in the draft still? I think if we had both Finley and Eifert we could really abuse defenses in the middle of the field. I still think we should have fed Finley the ball more at the end of the year when it seemed like he was healthy and consistant.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 40976
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:


Don't forget a surprise contract like Shields. That could cut into some big bucks.


don't think there's any surprise there. Shields will get a new contract, and it will be a significant increase over what he's making now. Probably in the $5-6 million/yr range.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CornOnDaCobb


Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 672
Location: Tampa, FL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
spilltray wrote:
GBPackers79 wrote:
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne

MM: I really felt Jermichael Finley was a different man, a different player from the bye week on. ...There's a change in that young man.


I just have a problem sinking that much cash into a guy that runs so hot and cold and hasn't shown he "gets it" yet. All he's done is flash at times and he's being paid like he's arrived. It's just too much of a bad value gamble for me to get behind keeping him under any circumstances.

Hopefully he played his way into being tradeable, but I wouldn't hold my breath there.


Its a one year deal, I don't see why you would get worried. Its like a franchise tag, he sucks next year he's gone. He's great and he gets extended, I love how the deal broke down.


Yep we basically have no money to spend either. Clay, Raji and Rodgers are going to command huge bucks.


That's hogwash. We've got plenty of money to bring those guys back. Especially with the likely departures Greg Jennings, Jeff Saturday, Charles Woodson, Donald Driver and possibly AJ Hawk. I wouldn't worry about that...

And Finley is the 9th highest paid TE in the league. He has tons of potential, the kid is 24 years old and he really did turn a corner in the second half of the year.


Potential is a word used for rookies, not 5 year veterans. Lets face it, Finley is what he is, a mediocre tight end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2Bigby0


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 649
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackers79 wrote:
Why are you saying goodbye to Jarrett Bush?


I feel like we have guys on the team that can do what he does already. Granted, it's absolute penny pinching but we pay the guy a decent amount of money to be a core member of our ST units. Whoever our #4 CB can likely do what he does and for cheaper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group