Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mel Tucker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali2Wisco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Mel Tucker Reply with quote

Hey guys, Wisconsin fan here. Talk is that we are looking hard at hiring Mel Tucker to be our next head coach. Don't really know anything about him and was hoping you all could shed some light. What is your general opinion of him, what type of defense is he running, do players like him ect...?

Thanks in advance
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my impression, Tucker is a pretty no-nonsense motivator 'effort' type. He actually took the interim HC reins for the end of last season after Del Rio was fired. Has garned some NFL HC interest. Seems to be quite well liked by his players, and gets the most out of a lot of them. But doesn't strike me as much of a 'tactician' at all.

He's been running a pretty vanilla 4-3 here. Probably a lot of that has to do with injuries, and personnel limitations in general. But i'd imagine you'd see much the same in the NCAA if he has anything to say about it.

It's hard to get a read on how well he's done. There have been some ups and downs. Up to last year it looked like he was really making some big headway in whipping this defense into shape. But this year, it's all fallen completely apart again. How much of that is coaching and scheme, etc. vs. injuries, talent limitations, and individual players regressing...it's hard to say.

As a whole, he seems like a good guy, well-liked. No nonsense type coach. Maybe a bit of the 'old school' about him. Would probably be a pretty good fit as HC with Wisconsin.
Mr. V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense has only been good one year under him. Just saying.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
And he's only been calling plays for two years.

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
sadjag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
From my impression, Tucker is a pretty no-nonsense motivator 'effort' type. He actually took the interim HC reins for the end of last season after Del Rio was fired. Has garned some NFL HC interest. Seems to be quite well liked by his players, and gets the most out of a lot of them. But doesn't strike me as much of a 'tactician' at all.

He's been running a pretty vanilla 4-3 here. Probably a lot of that has to do with injuries, and personnel limitations in general. But i'd imagine you'd see much the same in the NCAA if he has anything to say about it.

It's hard to get a read on how well he's done. There have been some ups and downs. Up to last year it looked like he was really making some big headway in whipping this defense into shape. But this year, it's all fallen completely apart again. How much of that is coaching and scheme, etc. vs. injuries, talent limitations, and individual players regressing...it's hard to say.

As a whole, he seems like a good guy, well-liked. No nonsense type coach. Maybe a bit of the 'old school' about him. Would probably be a pretty good fit as HC with Wisconsin.
This mostly, here his philosophy has been to scheme simply so that guys can react faster and make plays. I think most people assumed when Mel came back this year that it was for the short term. General consensus is that he is a guy on the rise who will get his shot too be a HC and soon.

He talked about it some in a press conference yesterday basically he said that he is not going too talk about it until the seasons over. He did say that he has been speaking with Alvarez however. You can see it yourself on jaguars.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

I know. How much of a difference does that make? I feel like he should be able to adapt to JDR's scheme if he was as good of a coach as some of you guys hype him up to be. He's an average coach imo.

iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

I know. How much of a difference does that make? I feel like he should be able to adapt to JDR's scheme if he was as good of a coach as some of you guys hype him up to be. He's an average coach imo.
If Del Rio was calling plays that had our players playing a scheme that isn't best suited for them, or the skills that they were being taught, why would that fall as the fault of Tucker?

Place blame on him for this year, that's completely fair (so long as he's still calling the plays and working the scheme). But before last year, I don't feel like you can hold that against him when he wasn't in control.

#JagsOnly
Mr. V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

If Del Rio was calling plays that had our players playing a scheme that isn't best suited for them, or the skills that they were being taught, why would that fall as the fault of Tucker?

Place blame on him for this year, that's completely fair (so long as he's still calling the plays and working the scheme). But before last year, I don't feel like you can hold that against him when he wasn't in control.

He's still responsible for the defense that JDR called plays for to some extent. He shouldn't just get a pass for the defenses that he coached, but didn't call plays for.

iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

He's still responsible for the defense that JDR called plays for to some extent. He shouldn't just get a pass for the defenses that he coached, but didn't call plays for.
To what extent though? How can you assess what he was to blame for and what JDR was to blame for? For all anyone knows, Tucker could have been doing a masterful job and it was hidden behind terrible talent and bad play calling. Or Tucker could have been doing everything wrong and he was further aided by poor scheming and only subpar talent. Can you, or anyone, say with any level of certainty which way it was? Could the cushiony zone coverage and players playing outside of their talent and the skills being taught that any amount of positive coordinating wouldn't have turned it out positive?

And it's not giving him a pass. It's simply recognizing that any attempt, either positively or negatively, to assess the extent to which a coordinator not responsible for play calling or scheming was responsible for the output of the defense will be little more valuable than blind guessing.

From my perspective, he's a good coordinator that is either 1. limited by the skill sets of the players around him or 2. is significantly better at scheming certain types of plays. Both of these limitations would be in reference to the points I brought up in the "Hey man! Get out of the zone!" thread a while ago.

#JagsOnly
Mr. V

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

To what extent though? How can you assess what he was to blame for and what JDR was to blame for? For all anyone knows, Tucker could have been doing a masterful job and it was hidden behind terrible talent and bad play calling. Or Tucker could have been doing everything wrong and he was further aided by poor scheming and only subpar talent. Can you, or anyone, say with any level of certainty which way it was? Could the cushiony zone coverage and players playing outside of their talent and the skills being taught that any amount of positive coordinating wouldn't have turned it out positive?

And it's not giving him a pass. It's simply recognizing that any attempt, either positively or negatively, to assess the extent to which a coordinator not responsible for play calling or scheming was responsible for the output of the defense will be little more valuable than blind guessing.

From my perspective, he's a good coordinator that is either 1. limited by the skill sets of the players around him or 2. is significantly better at scheming certain types of plays. Both of these limitations would be in reference to the points I brought up in the "Hey man! Get out of the zone!" thread a while ago.

I agree that you can't quantify it. The limitations that he presents would make me nervous of him. I could end up being wrong.

JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be interesting if he went to Wisconsin, but i think he would do really well there

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he is taking the Wisconsin job, like I needed another reason to hate Wisconsin.

#JDI
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Sounds like he is taking the Wisconsin job, like I needed another reason to hate Wisconsin.

They're getting a coach with upside and we're losing one who won't make it through January on this staff either way.

His tenure here wasn't a successful one, at least not for the team. I'm glad he's turning last season's success into a positive career move.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:

they are taking him Sad

i will have to root for them more now

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

they are taking him Sad

i will have to root for them more now

They took Gary Anderson doe

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: