Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Baltimore Ravens 2013 Free Agency Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those figures are for this season. I'm not following your train of thought on this one.

Reed's cap number for next season should be quite a bit lower next year regardless of where he signs because I just can't see any team giving him a contract where he would could for over $9 million against the cap. For his first year deal I think somewhere around $4 million would be about right.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Those figures are for this season. I'm not following your train of thought on this one.

Reed's cap number for next season should be quite a bit lower next year regardless of where he signs because I just can't see any team giving him a contract where he would could for over $9 million against the cap. For his first year deal I think somewhere around $4 million would be about right.

That was my train of thought. I am saying that even if we give him a good deal, his cap number should go down substantially from the 9M in 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it makes sense now. Honestly I think Reed is the biggest wildcard out of all of Baltimore's free agents. I'm still not ruling out retirement as a possibility for him even though he said he was going to play next season. But like I said in another thread I hope he's back with the Ravens because they can't afford to have another fairly big need on defense to cover this off-season.
mcdni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't see Ed being back in Baltimore unless it is for close to vet minimum because of our cap situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
I just can't see Ed being back in Baltimore unless it is for close to vet minimum because of our cap situation.

Yes, I agree. At this point he's going to be a cap casualty. No team in their right mind is going to be paying 4mil a season or above to a player that is 34 years old and who have had injury problems for the past many seasons. Somebody will most likely do so however, mostly because of name.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STrid wrote:
mcdni wrote:

Yes, I agree. At this point he's going to be a cap casualty. No team in their right mind is going to be paying 4mil a season or above to a player that is 34 years old and who have had injury problems for the past many seasons. Somebody will most likely do so however, mostly because of name.

I think teams will have noticed that just having him out there on the field can affect a game, by discouraging QBs from throwing anywhere near him.

Manning wouldn't do it, and so didn't throw deep for the entire game. Brady wouldn't do it either. Ed is basically the football equivalent of a nuclear deterrent.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of teams out there who are willing to pay him a fair amount of money for that.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
STrid wrote:
mcdni wrote:

I think teams will have noticed that just having him out there on the field can affect a game, by discouraging QBs from throwing anywhere near him.

Manning wouldn't do it, and so didn't throw deep for the entire game. Brady wouldn't do it either. Ed is basically the football equivalent of a nuclear deterrent.

I wrote:
Everyone loves Ed Reed making the splash plays, but so much of his affectiveness over the years has come from being basically the Ravens' nuclear deterrent. Even if teams suspect he's lost a step, he ends up with interceptions just enough to make any quarterback very nervous about trying those deep balls and ending up as another victim on the never-ending Ed Reed highlight reel.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15082924

Stealing my coinage. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
STrid wrote:
mcdni wrote:

I wrote:
Everyone loves Ed Reed making the splash plays, but so much of his affectiveness over the years has come from being basically the Ravens' nuclear deterrent. Even if teams suspect he's lost a step, he ends up with interceptions just enough to make any quarterback very nervous about trying those deep balls and ending up as another victim on the never-ending Ed Reed highlight reel.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15082924

Stealing my coinage. Wink

Heh. I thought the parlance sounded familiar. But hey, a nifty phrase is always worth stealing if it's accurate.

And in Ed's case, I think it definitely is accurate. The reason he's not getting INTs at the moment isn't because he's become a worse player (though his tackling is an issue, in that regard), it's because no one wants to throw the ball anywhere near him. I feel like QBs have been a lot more cautious in their plays against the Ravens this year. Can't think of very many long bomb passes against this defense. Though that could also be because they've been so much less adept at stopping the run and forcing passes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Reed had the most passes deflected of any safety this year too. He's not what he once was but he's not useless out on the field either.

Teams haven't thrown a ton of deep balls against Baltimore this year but that's how the defense and coverage is designed. The CBs aren't lining up with ~7 yards of cushion every play for no reason. Opposing QBs are making the smart decision and throwing it short. I don't like that sort of defense but I guess it works sometimes. It keeps the defense on the field longer too.
patman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Would it be a good idea to attempt to "buy out" Torrey's remaining two years on his rookie deal and extend him?

Rookie contracts can't be renegotiated until that player is entering his walk year. And since all rookie contracts for drafted players under the current CBA are at least 4 years, that means we have another year before we can do anything at all with Torrey.

From the Twitter account of agent David Canter:

Quote:
No renegotiations for rookies that are drafted until after their third NFL season

http://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/95609464954163200

Its a great idea to try and lock up a young star early like they do in baseball, but it can't be done under the current rules.

This is wrong, both Gronk and hernandes re-upped this year. Maybe the rule is that the old contract can't be touched but you can give them the SB and add the new contract to run after.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Would it be a good idea to attempt to "buy out" Torrey's remaining two years on his rookie deal and extend him?

Rookie contracts can't be renegotiated until that player is entering his walk year. And since all rookie contracts for drafted players under the current CBA are at least 4 years, that means we have another year before we can do anything at all with Torrey.

From the Twitter account of agent David Canter:

Quote:
No renegotiations for rookies that are drafted until after their third NFL season

http://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/95609464954163200

Its a great idea to try and lock up a young star early like they do in baseball, but it can't be done under the current rules.

This is wrong, both Gronk and hernandes re-upped this year. Maybe the rule is that the old contract can't be touched but you can give them the SB and add the new contract to run after.

Pretty sure they got into the league 3 years ago, before the newest cba. Their rookie deals wouldn't be covered by the same rules.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Giants DE Osi Umenyiora's contract will officially void on Thursday, making him an unrestricted free agent.

He is not expected back with the Giants, who are making a concerted effort to get younger and cheaper. Umenyiora's departure isn't going on the books as a release, so he can't sign a contract until the start of the new league year on March 12. Umenyiora is far from the force he once was, but will certainly be looking for a multi-year deal. We expect him to get one.

Would be nice to see us get him cheap (although it won't happen)

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/02/07/seattle-mariners-felix-hernandez-contract-highest-paid-pitcher/1899241/

Quote:
Seattle Mariners ace Felix Hernandez has agreed to a seven-year, $175 million contract that should be finalized before spring training, making him the highest-paid pitcher in baseball history, a person familiar with the contract details told USA TODAY Sports.

Joe Flacco's agent had the following response:

Joe Linta wrote:
What has Felix Hernandez ever done in the playoffs? Not win a superbowl, I'll tell you that much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for Joe getting filthy rich. But I wanna drown this agent.

I'm thinking about Reed. I think something like Reggie Wayne(3 year, 17.5)

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Shaun Phillips is the type of under the radar free agent Ozzie Might spring for. He's on the downside of his career, but he still has a few productive years left. He could definitely help replace Krugar's production, assuming we lose him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 7 of 43

Jump to: