Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dan Pompel says the Bears can't afford to pursue Jake Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bears54


Joined: 28 Nov 2007
Posts: 919
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: hmmmm... Reply with quote

Anyone for Cam Cameron as our OC????

How much you think we are talking for Sam Baker and Levitre to sign for us????


I could see Baker going for 5 years 30 million.....he isnt someone getting alot of attention and I can see Bills Levitre going for 5 years 35 million.....both guys are not great but they are good....they arent pro bowl guys but they are sure alot better than what we have now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheGreatZepp


Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Posts: 2844
Location: Brookfield, WI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: hmmmm... Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
Anyone for Cam Cameron as our OC????

How much you think we are talking for Sam Baker and Levitre to sign for us????


I could see Baker going for 5 years 30 million.....he isnt someone getting alot of attention and I can see Bills Levitre going for 5 years 35 million.....both guys are not great but they are good....they arent pro bowl guys but they are sure alot better than what we have now.
I think both Baker and Levitre could be good signings for the Bears if the money is right. Infact, that very well may be the best way for them to go, even if an OT is there in the first round, it seems that Carimi (what the heck happened?) is not a good fit on the outside and you never have too many good offensive linemen. The Packers drafted Sherrod and Bulaga in consecutive first rounds and even though injuries have affected their availability, Sherrod is still an unknown commodity at this point and Bulaga's play has plateaued much lower then expected, they need linemen.

Sam Baker has struggled this year but he very well could get it back together and write this off as just a down year. Definitely a guy who seems like he could comfortably get you through a couple seasons.


Cam Cameron? Well the Bears bringing him in would be good for the rest of the division. The instances of head up bum seem to have increased every year since he entered the league and really took off after he left San Diego in 2006. Before getting canned this season it had really got bad in Baltimore.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22289
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: hmmmm... Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
Anyone for Cam Cameron as our OC????

How much you think we are talking for Sam Baker and Levitre to sign for us????


I could see Baker going for 5 years 30 million.....he isnt someone getting alot of attention and I can see Bills Levitre going for 5 years 35 million.....both guys are not great but they are good....they arent pro bowl guys but they are sure alot better than what we have now.


Outside of his rookie year and this year Baker has been terrible and injured...if we paid him $30 million I would be really PO'ed...Levitre on the other hand is maybe the most underrated OG in football and would be a terrific pick up...

As for Cam Cameron...just say no.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2013…Martellus Bennett…65 Rec…759 Yards…11.7 Avg…5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9602
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers on Levitre are high as well Yanda who is a Pro Bowler got 5/35.

I think Levitre is a 5/25 guy like Josh Sitton.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bears54


Joined: 28 Nov 2007
Posts: 919
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: ok.. Reply with quote

Ok so a NO on Cam Cameron....


So sign Levitre to be our next OG and who do we sign at OT????


What about the Patriots Vollmer????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22289
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ok.. Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
Ok so a NO on Cam Cameron....


So sign Levitre to be our next OG and who do we sign at OT????


What about the Patriots Vollmer????


Albert
Clady
Bushrod
Vollmer

or

Draft a guy early.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2013…Martellus Bennett…65 Rec…759 Yards…11.7 Avg…5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topwop1


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 5062
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears can afford to get whoever they want, it's just a matter of identifying if that player is worth it and what the cost is of getting him. If the Bears were to pursue a Jake Long type of player on the o-line then surely they would have to cut a higher salary from another position deemed expendable.

Or say for example Urlacher, Kellen Davis and Idonije, etc aren't to be brought back next year, this could then potentially free up a decent sum of money for the Bears to go land an impact player in FA, or help reward and extend one of their own players ie. Melton. Never say never. Bears have Cliff Stein remeber.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18593
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
The Bears can afford to get whoever they want, it's just a matter of identifying if that player is worth it and what the cost is of getting him. If the Bears were to pursue a Jake Long type of player on the o-line then surely they would have to cut a higher salary from another position deemed expendable.

Or say for example Urlacher, Kellen Davis and Idonije, etc aren't to be brought back next year, this could then potentially free up a decent sum of money for the Bears to go land an impact player in FA, or help reward and extend one of their own players ie. Melton. Never say never. Bears have Cliff Stein remeber.
Urlacher is a FA this year, Davis & Idonije aren't making much.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22289
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
The Bears can afford to get whoever they want, it's just a matter of identifying if that player is worth it and what the cost is of getting him. If the Bears were to pursue a Jake Long type of player on the o-line then surely they would have to cut a higher salary from another position deemed expendable.

Or say for example Urlacher, Kellen Davis and Idonije, etc aren't to be brought back next year, this could then potentially free up a decent sum of money for the Bears to go land an impact player in FA, or help reward and extend one of their own players ie. Melton. Never say never. Bears have Cliff Stein remeber.
Urlacher is a FA this year, Davis & Idonije aren't making much.


Idonije is also an FA...

Davis is making around $2.4 million.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2013…Martellus Bennett…65 Rec…759 Yards…11.7 Avg…5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheGreatZepp


Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Posts: 2844
Location: Brookfield, WI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
The Bears can afford to get whoever they want, it's just a matter of identifying if that player is worth it and what the cost is of getting him. If the Bears were to pursue a Jake Long type of player on the o-line then surely they would have to cut a higher salary from another position deemed expendable.

Or say for example Urlacher, Kellen Davis and Idonije, etc aren't to be brought back next year, this could then potentially free up a decent sum of money for the Bears to go land an impact player in FA, or help reward and extend one of their own players ie. Melton. Never say never. Bears have Cliff Stein remeber.
Urlacher is a FA this year, Davis & Idonije aren't making much.


Idonije is also an FA...

Davis is making around $2.4 million.
And just because there may be financial flexibility in 2013, doesn't mean you won't be desperately needing some cap room in 2016. While many of the star players are aging and won't be up for huge contracts/extensions that doesn't mean it won't be easy to spend the money on depth elsewhere, something the Bears are lacking all around.

I just don't see a player that requires the financial commitment as Long as a wise investment even in a Division with premiere pass rushers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak06max


Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Posts: 1241
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
The Bears can afford to get whoever they want, it's just a matter of identifying if that player is worth it and what the cost is of getting him. If the Bears were to pursue a Jake Long type of player on the o-line then surely they would have to cut a higher salary from another position deemed expendable.

Or say for example Urlacher, Kellen Davis and Idonije, etc aren't to be brought back next year, this could then potentially free up a decent sum of money for the Bears to go land an impact player in FA, or help reward and extend one of their own players ie. Melton. Never say never. Bears have Cliff Stein remeber.
Urlacher is a FA this year, Davis & Idonije aren't making much.


Idonije is also an FA...

Davis is making around $2.4 million.
And just because there may be financial flexibility in 2013, doesn't mean you won't be desperately needing some cap room in 2016. While many of the star players are aging and won't be up for huge contracts/extensions that doesn't mean it won't be easy to spend the money on depth elsewhere, something the Bears are lacking all around.

I just don't see a player that requires the financial commitment as Long as a wise investment even in a Division with premiere pass rushers.



If we can guarantee a strong spot on this line especially LT I would feel better. Right know we have musical chairs on the OL because everyone sucks. MInus Garza which is on his last leg and seeing a strong sample of Louis which coming back from injury will he play the same. SIck of every week someones in a new spot. Solidifie LT which needs a major upgrade make Webb and Carimi fight it out for a starting RT spot on this roster. If we dont get a name we are in the same position as last year. Sam Baker is horrible I would rather stick with Webb. At least Jay will know which side the D is going to attack right now its both or either
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak06max


Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Posts: 1241
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Going after Long would be a bad move for us.



Why?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22289
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Going after Long would be a bad move for us.



Why?


Long’s body at only 27 years old is clearly starting to break down…in 2011 his season was ended with a back injury then a torn triceps and now his 2012 season has been ended again with that triceps injury…he has struggled as a run blocker this season for the first time in his career and that is largely down to the Fins moving to a zone blocking scheme but his pass pro has also taken a bit of a dip…giving up a career high 7 sacks in just 12 games…the amount of money he will command on name along is more than we should be spending on only one of the five positions that we need upfront.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2013…Martellus Bennett…65 Rec…759 Yards…11.7 Avg…5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Selkiesxx


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 1542
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dan Pompel says the Bears can't afford to pursue Jake L Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:
Interesting.

Just saw it on Rotoworld.com. I'm glad to hear this, Long has been awful the past two seasons.
He's a good player, he's performance took a dive when zone blocking was implemented in Miami, his best days were in a man power blocking scheme.

Chances are that Long's contract will hinder any team that does spend the kind of money he's asking for. Don't think spending that much money on any offensive lineman is a good idea for the Bears, they need more then just one piece right now. That said, correct me if I'm wrong but Tice does like a lot of Power/Man.


Even if Lovie keeps his job Tice is getting fired.

He might be the worst OC I have ever seen.

I'm not trying to say he's done a good job but I have no confidence that the Bears front office will be smart enough to cut the chord this quickly.
_________________
Newest Mock Draft .:. 1.11.13

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10653
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Lovie does not return as many suspect I think almost anything is up for grabs in FA. Without Lovie in the mix I think much of this roster gets blown up, with several of the larger contracts potentially being elsewhere. Especially if a new HC brought in a 3-4.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group