Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dan Pompel says the Bears can't afford to pursue Jake Long
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Dan Pompel says the Bears can't afford to pursue Jake Long Reply with quote

Interesting.

Just saw it on Rotoworld.com. I'm glad to hear this, Long has been awful the past two seasons.

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan Pompel says the Bears can't afford to pursue Jake L Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
Interesting.

Just saw it on Rotoworld.com. I'm glad to hear this, Long has been awful the past two seasons.
Whoever drafted him must be the world's biggest idiot, right? This guy could not miss from all we knew. Surest pick in the draft, .....

Drafters are going to start using Quigee boards, I hear. I look for big improvements.

Teams cannot afford to put gigantic sums in one player given the great probability that he will get hurt.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Pompei does not know what the Bears can afford and cannot afford.

I agree they cannot afford to invest 11 million into the LT position but we sure can spend some money this offseason.
51to54

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need one super star on the Oline. We need three or four good linemen with the other one or two being able to at least walk and chew gum at the same time without getting called for holding.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
We don't need one super star on the Oline. We need three or four good linemen with the other one or two being able to at least walk and chew gum at the same time without getting called for holding.
I am starting to hate the idea of drafting high (not that we are this year) because of the high bust rate. Trade our first we need more picks.
DaMike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can afford to pursue Mario Williams last offseason but we can't afford Long?

We can afford Long. It might not be a good idea though.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:

No one knows what that "pursuit" entailed. It might have been far less vigorous than we think, rumor aside. Buffalo is going to have cap problems because of that signing so we should look to profit. Another Reuben Brown, anyone?
DaMike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
DaMike wrote:

No one knows what that "pursuit" entailed. It might have been far less vigorous than we think, rumor aside. Buffalo is going to have cap problems because of that signing so we should look to profit. Another Reuben Brown, anyone?
Buffalo won't have cap problems because of that. We made a real attempt at Williams. We'd could work in Long. I probably wouldn't sign a $10mil a season OT but techincally we could.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going after Long would be a bad move for us.
Bears54

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: I wouldnt Reply with quote

I would not pursue Jake Long unless he was willing to come here at a good price like $7 million a year..something like 5 years $38 million with 20 million guaranteed.

I would much rather go at "good" OTs and spread the money around to at least 2 or 3 offensive line positions.

Maybe sign Sam Baker (OT) Falcons or Sebastian Vollmer (OT) Patriots to be our LT and then throw some money at Andy Levitre (OG) Bills to be our starting LG....and then let Lance Louis, Chris Spencer, and Gabe Carimi battle for the RG position..then with our 1st round or 2nd round pick, I would draft a RT...

Sam Baker/Vollmer- LT
Andy Levitre- LG
Robert Garza- C
Carimi/Louis/Spencer- RG
1st or 2nd round pick- RT

Totally new revamped line that would be bette....
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I wouldnt Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
I would not pursue Jake Long unless he was willing to come here at a good price like $7 million a year..something like 5 years $38 million with 20 million guaranteed.

I would much rather go at "good" OTs and spread the money around to at least 2 or 3 offensive line positions.

Maybe sign Sam Baker (OT) Falcons or Sebastian Vollmer (OT) Patriots to be our LT and then throw some money at Andy Levitre (OG) Bills to be our starting LG....and then let Lance Louis, Chris Spencer, and Gabe Carimi battle for the RG position..then with our 1st round or 2nd round pick, I would draft a RT...

Sam Baker/Vollmer- LT
Andy Levitre- LG
Robert Garza- C
Carimi/Louis/Spencer- RG

Signing 2 starting calibre free agent OLmen will be expensive.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I wouldnt Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Bears54 wrote:

Sam Baker/Vollmer- LT
Andy Levitre- LG
Robert Garza- C
Carimi/Louis/Spencer- RG

Signing 2 starting calibre free agent OLmen will be expensive.

Honestly, I think Emery will bring in two starting caliber Olineman through Free Agency...I see MLB being the undisputed #1 need going into the Draft once Urlacher announces his retirement.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dan Pompel says the Bears can't afford to pursue Jake L Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
Interesting.

He's a good player, he's performance took a dive when zone blocking was implemented in Miami, his best days were in a man power blocking scheme.

Chances are that Long's contract will hinder any team that does spend the kind of money he's asking for. Don't think spending that much money on any offensive lineman is a good idea for the Bears, they need more then just one piece right now. That said, correct me if I'm wrong but Tice does like a lot of Power/Man.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dan Pompel says the Bears can't afford to pursue Jake L Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:
Interesting.

He's a good player, he's performance took a dive when zone blocking was implemented in Miami, his best days were in a man power blocking scheme.

Chances are that Long's contract will hinder any team that does spend the kind of money he's asking for. Don't think spending that much money on any offensive lineman is a good idea for the Bears, they need more then just one piece right now. That said, correct me if I'm wrong but Tice does like a lot of Power/Man.

No Tice likes guys like Webb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dan Pompel says the Bears can't afford to pursue Jake L Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:
Interesting.

Even if Lovie keeps his job Tice is getting fired.

He might be the worst OC I have ever seen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: