Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agents 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team must make decisions about internal free agents first. The ones of significant importance are Sam Baker, William Moore, Brent Grimes, & Vance Walker.

With Baker, he's rebounded from a dismal 2011- but if an upgrade can be found in FA- it makes sense to consider that option. Jake Long is the obvious choice, but the contract he commands on the open market remains to be seen. Is he worth 6 Years 70-80 million with 30-35 million of guarantees? Another concern is Long shares an agent with Sam Baker- and would their representatives compromise Baker's next deal for Long?

I sincerely doubt other Left Tackles hit the open market- I'd expect Ryan Clady, Brandon Albert, Sebatian Vollmer to be Franchised. The second tier, is Will Beatty or Jermon Bushrod an upgrade worth spending top dollar on?

With McClure a FA, moving Konz into the vacated Center spot seems logical. Replacing Konz at Guard might be a scenario worth considering. With Levitre, the Bills have a choice on whether to utilize their Franchise Tag with either Jairus Byrd or Levitre. But if Levitre hits the open market, he will garner top caliber starting money- the Steve Hutchinson 7 Year 49 million deal would be the baseline.

I would instead pursue Antoine Caldwell. His 4 years in Houston have proved Alabama guys are Man Style blockers and not ideal for the zone scheme. I think returning to man blocking like the scheme under Mike Mularkey would be beneficial for this line.

Brent Grimes injuries would make letting him depart logical. With Moore, he should be franchised.

The Pass Rush desperately needs to be upgraded. After the Free Agent Bust with Ray Edwards, a guy like Michael Johnson seems risky from my perspective. Osi could be brought in on a short term deal, but he's exclusively a situational pass rusher at this point. I think Dwight Freeney could be a choice as that situational rusher, and he needs to revitalize his career back in a 4-3. Another intriguing option is Paul Kruger.

I think upgrading the interior, where Peria Jerry has failed to live up to his 1st Round pick could be a viable option. A guy like Kevin Williams would be a great for the rotation.

I'd also consider upgrading the RB Corps both via FA & the draft. A cheaper option would be Tashard Choice on a one year deal. A more expensive route could be Steven Jackson or a trade for MJD. I'd be hesitant to commit a large portion of the salary cap to a back though.

Dimitroff should make sure he can retain his talent, rather than going into the FA market. Helps build continuity. Ultimately you've got Matt Ryan's rookie deal expiring after 2013. Locking him up longterm should be the priority.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going point by point.

Conquest8089 wrote:
Team must make decisions about internal free agents first. The ones of significant importance are Sam Baker, William Moore, Brent Grimes, & Vance Walker.

agreed. except Vance Walker should be brought back pretty easily.

Quote:
With Baker, he's rebounded from a dismal 2011- but if an upgrade can be found in FA- it makes sense to consider that option. Jake Long is the obvious choice, but the contract he commands on the open market remains to be seen. Is he worth 6 Years 70-80 million with 30-35 million of guarantees? Another concern is Long shares an agent with Sam Baker- and would their representatives compromise Baker's next deal for Long?

I'd bring Baker back if he agreed to the same exact deal that Thomas Decoud did. otherwise, he can kick rocks.

Quote:
I sincerely doubt other Left Tackles hit the open market- I'd expect Ryan Clady, Brandon Albert, Sebatian Vollmer to be Franchised. The second tier, is Will Beatty or Jermon Bushrod an upgrade worth spending top dollar on?

I'd agree there. Why not just take a chance and have Lamar Holmes play left tackle. He was a 3rd round pick.

Quote:
With McClure a FA, moving Konz into the vacated Center spot seems logical. Replacing Konz at Guard might be a scenario worth considering. With Levitre, the Bills have a choice on whether to utilize their Franchise Tag with either Jairus Byrd or Levitre. But if Levitre hits the open market, he will garner top caliber starting money- the Steve Hutchinson 7 Year 49 million deal would be the baseline.

Except the plan is to have Joe Hawley (just 24 years old, 6'3" 300) play the center position once McClure retires. Konz would stay at OG unless the Falcons bring in Long.

Quote:
I would instead pursue Antoine Caldwell. His 4 years in Houston have proved Alabama guys are Man Style blockers and not ideal for the zone scheme. I think returning to man blocking like the scheme under Mike Mularkey would be beneficial for this line.

Mike Mularkey doesn't OC here anymore.... come on now.

Quote:
Brent Grimes injuries would make letting him depart logical. With Moore, he should be franchised.

Agreed on Grimes. Moore will get a long term deal though. trust me on that one.

Quote:
The Pass Rush desperately needs to be upgraded. After the Free Agent Bust with Ray Edwards, a guy like Michael Johnson seems risky from my perspective. Osi could be brought in on a short term deal, but he's exclusively a situational pass rusher at this point. I think Dwight Freeney could be a choice as that situational rusher, and he needs to revitalize his career back in a 4-3. Another intriguing option is Paul Kruger.

Or it'd be smarter to just draft someone in the first round and let him learn from Johnny-Abe.

Quote:
I think upgrading the interior, where Peria Jerry has failed to live up to his 1st Round pick could be a viable option. A guy like Kevin Williams would be a great for the rotation.

Except that Jerry is the backup now that Peters is healthy and Peters gets great push in the middle. Cutting Jerry and drafting a rotational guy is the best fit.

Quote:
I'd also consider upgrading the RB Corps both via FA & the draft. A cheaper option would be Tashard Choice on a one year deal. A more expensive route could be Steven Jackson or a trade for MJD. I'd be hesitant to commit a large portion of the salary cap to a back though.

Or they should just get a guy like Giovani Bernard in the Draft. It's pointless to sign another big time back. Michael Turner is the last feature back the Falcons will have. After he leaves, the team will start with Rodgers and a draft pick.

Quote:
Dimitroff should make sure he can retain his talent, rather than going into the FA market. Helps build continuity. Ultimately you've got Matt Ryan's rookie deal expiring after 2013. Locking him up longterm should be the priority.

I agree there. However, bringing in someone like Long gives the Falcons the ability to stray from the plan to keep Konz at RG and move him to C and have Holmes play right tackle. Slide over Clabo to right guard. Give the team a HUGE line of 6'7" 314-6'4" 330-6'4" 315-6'6" 330-6'6" 330. Would be too big to push in the middle, and very good technically on the outsides.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Hotlanta12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about Chris Johnson is the Titans can't agree on a contract with him.
tech2186

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotlanta12 wrote:
What do you guys think about Chris Johnson is the Titans can't agree on a contract with him.

No way, guy has talent but it's just not wise to pay for RB's especially those in Free Agency. We just need to draft a guy and we are in the positon to take a chance on one with the emergence of Jquizz

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotlanta12 wrote:

If he won't take a reasonable amount of money, which is what the Titans are probably offering him, then I don't want him.

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
xxfalconfanxx20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
Hotlanta12 wrote:

If he won't take a reasonable amount of money, which is what the Titans are probably offering him, then I don't want him.

Kenjon Barner!!
devils1854

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxfalconfanxx20 wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:
Hotlanta12 wrote:

Kenjon Barner!!

There is 0% chance that Tennessee lets CJ leave. Dont let the stupid ESPN hype train fool you. CJ is their offensive weapon, and if they want Lockert to develop at all, he will be kept. He is easily a top 5 RB in the league still.

Barner is probably too small for a every down back. I know he is listed at 5'11 190, but I wouldnt be suprised to see that the numbers are embellished a good bit.

#JDI
mjmiller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we draft someone at the RB spot i want either Giovani Bernard, Montee Ball or take a flyer on Marcus Lattimore. those are my top 3 wants Very Happy
adam9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjmiller wrote:
if we draft someone at the RB spot i want either Giovani Bernard, Montee Ball or take a flyer on Marcus Lattimore. those are my top 3 wants Very Happy

Gio is the best option. Especially of those 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

in my honest opinion, i think these are the 3 most talented RBs in this draft. i still dont understand why ALOT of ppl are so down on Montee Ball. yeah i get hes a little slow but he knows how to play.its not like hes gonna run a 4.9 lol he'll do jus fine in the NFL.
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjmiller wrote:
adam9 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

in my honest opinion, i think these are the 3 most talented RBs in this draft. i still dont understand why ALOT of ppl are so down on Montee Ball. yeah i get hes a little slow but he knows how to play.its not like hes gonna run a 4.9 lol he'll do jus fine in the NFL.

Because there's literally dozens of rbs like him that we're absolute beasts in college but nothing in the nfl. IMO, you have to have some physical attributes that stand out to be a good rb in the nfl. I don't know if ball has any
adam9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:
adam9 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

Because there's literally dozens of rbs like him that we're absolute beasts in college but nothing in the nfl. IMO, you have to have some physical attributes that stand out to be a good rb in the nfl. I don't know if ball has any

This.

Ball to me feels a lot like a Snelling in the NFL. A capable #2. Might be a good fit for Tennessee. A bruiser to pair with CJ2K

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:
adam9 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

This.

Ball to me feels a lot like a Snelling in the NFL. A capable #2. Might be a good fit for Tennessee. A bruiser to pair with CJ2K

Also doesn't help that he has 900+ carries in the Big 10 on his body.

#JDI
JFalconFan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scar I think sliding Konz and Clabo over and putting in Holmes is a good idea even if we don't get Long. Holmes has more upside than Hawley who IMO is best served as a swing guy. Backing up all interior positions.

JGold on the Sig

Atlanta Falcons and LSU Tigers all the way!
gigaman13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised Levitre didn't jump at anyone. The guy has the ability to block anyone on the inside and could come at an acceptable price.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: