Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos @ Ravens (Week 15) GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
So since the Bengals play the 1 o'clock game next Sunday, if they end up losing to the Steelers, what possible reason would we have to actually bother playing our starters for the next two games?
If we lose out and the Steelers win out, they win the division if I'm not mistaken.

Just checked using ESPN's playoff machine, you're correct. That sucks. Though it goes against conventional wisdom, assuming the Steelers win next week, I wouldn't mind resting our starters against the Giants next week. Then after a week of rest, play to win with our starters against the Bengals. I feel like at this point the injuries and lack of time to recuperate are hurting us just as much as anything. Am I wrong here?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I don't think they can really plan for that. The team records are close enough that the Ravens probably won't know who they would be playing as the 3rd or 4th seed since the week 17 game against the Bengals is at 1:00. I'm of the mindset that you ALWAYS go for the highest seed you can possibly get, and in this case I wouldn't really prefer either one team over the other. Pittsburgh would probably be the team I'd least want to see Baltimore face but I'm not particularly worried about any of those three. Of course I'm not too confident in the Ravens either but just looking at the opponents that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

Just realized the Patriots also play a 1 o'clock game. So if they win, there's essentially no chance of us getting higher than the 4th seed, I believe. But yeah, like BTerp stated, we'd still have to play to win one of our two remaining games (again, assuming the Bengals lose next week) to prevent the Steelers from taking the division.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
So since the Bengals play the 1 o'clock game next Sunday, if they end up losing to the Steelers, what possible reason would we have to actually bother playing our starters for the next two games?
If we lose out and the Steelers win out, they win the division if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Quote:
O BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

Unless I missed something I think it would come down to the 4th tie-breaker in which the Ravens would have the advantage since they only lost 4 games to AFC opponents in that situation where the Steelers have already lost to 6 AFC opponents. So if that's right Pittsburgh has no shot at the AFCN title.

EDIT - Whoops, forgot to factor in the Pittsburgh would be 2-0 against Cincinnati in this scenario while Baltimore would be 1-1. That would give the Steelers the advantage in the 3rd tiebreaker. Damn, I was really hoping they had no shot at it lol.

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Just realized the Patriots also play a 1 o'clock game. So if they win, there's essentially no chance of us getting higher than the 4th seed, I believe. But yeah, like BTerp stated, we'd still have to play to win one of our two remaining games (again, assuming the Bengals lose next week) to prevent the Steelers from taking the division.

Which is just even more of a reason to not sit guys.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One plus to our recent slump is that if we maintain the current standings, we can keep Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger all on the other side of the bracket.
StRawz11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thefakeespn.lockerdome.com/media/103683467[/url]

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:

What DTMB said yesterday has come to fruition. Laughing

I'd feel for ole' Joe, but my patience is wearing thin these days. I just want the playoffs to start already....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another positive lost in yesterday is the role that James Ihedigbo did stepping in for Bernard Pollard. Can't say I wasn't pleased with his play.

However, Jimmy Smith....lol....straight up sucked.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:

I'd feel for ole' Joe, but my patience is wearing thin these days. I just want the playoffs to start already....

I said a lot of things yesterday. Laughing

Yeah when he did that I was like, "oh what have you done Joe?"

Free Ray Rice
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:

I said a lot of things yesterday. Laughing

Yeah when he did that I was like, "oh what have you done Joe?"

Joe Flacco - the king of having no pocket awareness and no awareness to how his actions will reflect in the media the next day!

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm still upset that we were unable to reclaim the #2 seed like I thought we would do... we are in the playoffs.

I'm pissed about all of these injuries this season and its really killing any mojo we've got going.. and it's killing my ability to really LOVE anything about this team other than their passion and will to keep going.. Our offense and defense has been decimated at key spots with injuries.

On the talk of resting starters, I agree... but I don't agree. I think if we have guys on the mend that could be at 100% with consistent rest... than let's not rush them. I think Bernard Pollard is a key example of this. Rest him for as long as he needs.

On the other side however, I see a guy like Lewis. My research from a few weeks ago said that under "normal" triceps procedures, after 11 weeks there is no risk of re-injury... perhaps that time table is different in this case, but whenever Lewis isn't in further risk of re-injuring the surgically repaired muscle (and with all the recovery items he's used like hyper-bolic chambers and such then he may already be at that point), then I think we should put him out there. If we have players that aren't going to be back at 100% this season no matter what, then I see no reason to hold them back for minimal gains.

In terms of injuries and this upcoming game. I'd rather put our starts out there and try our best shot at getting this next game. Honestly, I like our chances much better playing the Giants at home than I do Cincy away. If winning the division will come down to only needing to get one win... then I think if we're going to rest starters, it should be for week 17 against Cincy. That way our guys can still be fresh heading into the playoffs. Resting them now won't do much good if we have to bring them back week 17 because we're then fighting for home field in that last game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@db: our offense has not been decimated by injuries. We've had one serious injury - Marshall Yanda. That's it. Ed Dickson I don't even count as a serious injury because he wasn't that important to begin with.

Our defense, on the other hand, is beyond decimated. When you're STARTING Josh Bynes, it's bad.

BlaqOptic wrote:
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to do against the Giants.

Sit Pollard.

Sit Ray.

Sit Torrey.

Sit Yanda.

Sit McClain.

Sit Ellerbe.

Limited number of snaps for Ed and Ngata.

60% of the carries to Pierce.

Playoffs start Week 17.

Free Ray Rice
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Sit Pollard.

Sit Ray.

Sit Torrey.

Sit Yanda.

Sit McClain.

Sit Ellerbe.

Playoffs start Week 17.

I can agree with this. I'd like to see Tandon Doss getting more reps because it looks like he's starting to get comfy in this offense. I'd like to see Rice get some rest and split carries because we're going to need him come playoff time (although he should be plenty rested with the lack of carries he's been receiving).

At this point we really should consider resting Ed. What are we gaining by playing him?

BlaqOptic wrote:
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
@db: our offense has not been decimated by injuries. We've had one serious injury - Marshall Yanda. That's it. Ed Dickson I don't even count as a serious injury because he wasn't that important to begin with.

Our defense, on the other hand, is beyond decimated. When you're STARTING Josh Bynes, it's bad.

Ed Dickson- starting TE

Marshal Yanda- Probowl RG

Bernard Pierce- backup RB

Torrey Smith- probowl caliber WR

Tandon Doss- backup WR (though likely minor).

I'm sorry, but the above is a pretty strong list of down players. I have to imagine Smith and Pierce both sit this upcoming game out. Yanda too. Ed Dickson at least provides an intermediate receiving threat. These are key pieces missing from the offense. You don't have to be on your 4th string RB to conclude that an injury bug is affecting your unit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Sit Pollard.

Sit Ray.

Sit Torrey.

Sit Yanda.

Sit McClain.

Sit Ellerbe.

Playoffs start Week 17.

Pierce is coming off a concussion, like Torrey Smith, I'd have to doubt they'll play the game tbh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: