Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Devin McCourty Is Who We Thought He Was
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dhunt2402


Moderator
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 22626
Location: The District
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Richter wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Do people really believe that Talib was bought in with the intention of 'wait and see' to retain him or not?


I tend to agree...you don't trade for a guy for half a season. Plan A was always going to be to resign him unless:

1) He really really sucked

2) He had a majorly bad attitude/influence

3) Both

You do if you're trying to win a Super Bowl and there's a decent chance that Derrick Martin or Marquice Cole could be logging significant snaps at corner. If they felt like Talib was the piece to put them over the top, I'm sure they'd spend a mid-round pick to win a championship.


It'd be a very short-sighted move and very out of character for BB. I'm sure the move was made with the intention to resign him. If he does put us over the top and we do with a Championship, surely his presence on the field was a contributing factor and he would have proved that he's worth resigning.

I just cannot envision a scenario where Talib plays well and we don't resign him. Unless he's swayed by a totally ridiculous FA offer, but again, I can't just see us letting him walk. I've seen enough so far to think Talib is a long term option and should be signed to a 2nd or 3rd Tier CB contract.


Money talks. If someone offers him more than what BB values him at, he could absolutely leave. You don't know Belichick very well if you think he'll overpay to resign every good player that hits free agency
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 11029
Location: Deadpulse on the Sig
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Richter wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Do people really believe that Talib was bought in with the intention of 'wait and see' to retain him or not?


I tend to agree...you don't trade for a guy for half a season. Plan A was always going to be to resign him unless:

1) He really really sucked

2) He had a majorly bad attitude/influence

3) Both

You do if you're trying to win a Super Bowl and there's a decent chance that Derrick Martin or Marquice Cole could be logging significant snaps at corner. If they felt like Talib was the piece to put them over the top, I'm sure they'd spend a mid-round pick to win a championship.


It'd be a very short-sighted move and very out of character for BB. I'm sure the move was made with the intention to resign him. If he does put us over the top and we do with a Championship, surely his presence on the field was a contributing factor and he would have proved that he's worth resigning.

I just cannot envision a scenario where Talib plays well and we don't resign him. Unless he's swayed by a totally ridiculous FA offer, but again, I can't just see us letting him walk. I've seen enough so far to think Talib is a long term option and should be signed to a 2nd or 3rd Tier CB contract.


Money talks. If someone offers him more than what BB values him at, he could absolutely leave. You don't know Belichick very well if you think he'll overpay to resign every good player that hits free agency


Well, not overpay every good player, but we need to keep some of the core players, Welker, Vollmer, Talib, I'd like all of them to stay, as unlikely as that is, but under the premise that Talib takes us to a Championship or close to it, I'd like to think we'd keep him around, someone who has come in and helped to stabilize the Pats secondary (take a minute to drink that in - our secondary is somewhat decent now...I know, right?) I don't think we should let that fall apart after 6 months, a hole that has been gaping for so long, I just donít want to see it open so soon after sorting it out.

(I'm aware I may be a little premature in anointing our secondary as fixed/decent/stabilized but if previous weeks are anything to go by....)
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nextsuperstar


Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Posts: 1708
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Richter wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Do people really believe that Talib was bought in with the intention of 'wait and see' to retain him or not?


I tend to agree...you don't trade for a guy for half a season. Plan A was always going to be to resign him unless:

1) He really really sucked

2) He had a majorly bad attitude/influence

3) Both

You do if you're trying to win a Super Bowl and there's a decent chance that Derrick Martin or Marquice Cole could be logging significant snaps at corner. If they felt like Talib was the piece to put them over the top, I'm sure they'd spend a mid-round pick to win a championship.


It'd be a very short-sighted move and very out of character for BB. I'm sure the move was made with the intention to resign him. If he does put us over the top and we do with a Championship, surely his presence on the field was a contributing factor and he would have proved that he's worth resigning.

I just cannot envision a scenario where Talib plays well and we don't resign him. Unless he's swayed by a totally ridiculous FA offer, but again, I can't just see us letting him walk. I've seen enough so far to think Talib is a long term option and should be signed to a 2nd or 3rd Tier CB contract.


Money talks. If someone offers him more than what BB values him at, he could absolutely leave. You don't know Belichick very well if you think he'll overpay to resign every good player that hits free agency


Well, not overpay every good player, but we need to keep some of the core players, Welker, Vollmer, Talib, I'd like all of them to stay, as unlikely as that is, but under the premise that Talib takes us to a Championship or close to it, I'd like to think we'd keep him around, someone who has come in and helped to stabilize the Pats secondary (take a minute to drink that in - our secondary is somewhat decent now...I know, right?) I don't think we should let that fall apart after 6 months, a hole that has been gaping for so long, I just donít want to see it open so soon after sorting it out.

(I'm aware I may be a little premature in anointing our secondary as fixed/decent/stabilized but if previous weeks are anything to go by....)


Do not forget the nutcase factor. Talib has been great, but he has some off the field issues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
finn54


Moderator
Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 12437
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think BB had any expectations on Talib past this year, personally. I think whether he stays or not will entirely depend on what he commands in FA. IMO he needs a lot more image rehabilitation than half a seasons worth, so I could see a scenario where he re-signs in NE, most likely on an option contract (i.e. the pats holding an option for a big money deal after year 1).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7665
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling Talib a 'core player' at this point (after 3 games? 4 games?) when he has been an average solid NFL cornerback either ridiculous, an overreaction to not having a dreadful secondary for once, or a combination of both.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5554
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Opposing QBs v. Patriots
Code:

            CMP  ATT  PCT  YARDS  Y/A   TD    INT   RTG
-------------------------------------------------------
Weeks 1-7   169  260  65.0  1933  7.43   16    7   96.52
Weeks 8-14  137  223  61.4  1649  7.39    6    8   78.11


Dennard was first active in week 5; first start was week 7
McCourty was moved to safety in week 7
Talib was added to the active roster in week 11


To sum up: if you want a good pass defense, leave Patrick Chung handcuffed to the locker-room toilet.


I don't know why people keep saying this. Chung is still our best tackling Safety. He's one of the better tackling Safeties in the NFL. Gregory looks like a lost kid out there and it pisses me off knowing Chung isn't much worst. He may be a liability in coverage, but he's still great in run support and brings that attitude to the defense.
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 11029
Location: Deadpulse on the Sig
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Calling Talib a 'core player' at this point (after 3 games? 4 games?) when he has been an average solid NFL cornerback either ridiculous, an overreaction to not having a dreadful secondary for once, or a combination of both.


Not a core player in terms of Brady, Wilfork, Chandler Jones, Jerod Mayo type bracket, but a player that has shown potential to be a good enough #1 CB that we can trust him to not be burned on every deep pass which was all too familiar at the beginning of the season.

The headcase thing can be wiped out with this change of scenery and veteran presences in the locker room and in the coaching staff (and the organization as whole) and Talib has shown before that he has the potential to be a Top 15 CB and if thatís the case we need to keep him (unless we were forced to overpay massively)
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5554
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexHyun777 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
The onus is on Dennard to continue playing well. We've had a rather inauspicious history with good-looking rookie CBs here recently.
agreed...im excited for dennard but with the exception of McCourty, all the young DBs we've had all faded by their 2nd or 3rd years.
McCourty was going to turn out the same but he bounced back in a big way this year.
Butler was especially disheartening considering he was picked relatively high in the 2nd round, and chung looks to follow in this patter judging by his play this year.

Sad


Dennard is different. You watch his college film. You watch what he's doing now, and you notice he has that confidence, and swag, for the lack of better words. His best asset is he plays with no fear. Keep in mind this guy was a top 20 pick at one point in the process.
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7665
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
AlexHyun777 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
The onus is on Dennard to continue playing well. We've had a rather inauspicious history with good-looking rookie CBs here recently.
agreed...im excited for dennard but with the exception of McCourty, all the young DBs we've had all faded by their 2nd or 3rd years.
McCourty was going to turn out the same but he bounced back in a big way this year.
Butler was especially disheartening considering he was picked relatively high in the 2nd round, and chung looks to follow in this patter judging by his play this year.

Sad


Dennard is different. You watch his college film. You watch what he's doing now, and you notice he has that confidence, and swag, for the lack of better words. His best asset is he plays with no fear. Keep in mind this guy was a top 20 pick at one point in the process.


Yeah, I normally don't like to use the word swag that way, but I know what you mean.

Some players are more natural than others, can play faster and don't make the same mistakes again and again. Dennard seems like a natural, and I think he can become a player like Brent Grimes.

Now all we need is Dowling to stay healthy Laughing
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24859
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Opposing QBs v. Patriots
Code:

            CMP  ATT  PCT  YARDS  Y/A   TD    INT   RTG
-------------------------------------------------------
Weeks 1-7   169  260  65.0  1933  7.43   16    7   96.52
Weeks 8-14  137  223  61.4  1649  7.39    6    8   78.11


Dennard was first active in week 5; first start was week 7
McCourty was moved to safety in week 7
Talib was added to the active roster in week 11


To sum up: if you want a good pass defense, leave Patrick Chung handcuffed to the locker-room toilet.


I don't know why people keep saying this. Chung is still our best tackling Safety. He's one of the better tackling Safeties in the NFL. Gregory looks like a lost kid out there and it pisses me off knowing Chung isn't much worst. He may be a liability in coverage, but he's still great in run support and brings that attitude to the defense.


Chung being the team's best tackling safety doesn't mean much considering the alternatives.

He's definitely not one of the better tackling safeties in the NFL. Maybe he's amongst the top in trying to make big/hard hits but way too frequently he takes a bad angle at the ball carrier or tries to just hit instead of wrap and bring down. Very much like Meriweather in that regard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5554
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Opposing QBs v. Patriots
Code:

            CMP  ATT  PCT  YARDS  Y/A   TD    INT   RTG
-------------------------------------------------------
Weeks 1-7   169  260  65.0  1933  7.43   16    7   96.52
Weeks 8-14  137  223  61.4  1649  7.39    6    8   78.11


Dennard was first active in week 5; first start was week 7
McCourty was moved to safety in week 7
Talib was added to the active roster in week 11


To sum up: if you want a good pass defense, leave Patrick Chung handcuffed to the locker-room toilet.


I don't know why people keep saying this. Chung is still our best tackling Safety. He's one of the better tackling Safeties in the NFL. Gregory looks like a lost kid out there and it pisses me off knowing Chung isn't much worst. He may be a liability in coverage, but he's still great in run support and brings that attitude to the defense.


Chung being the team's best tackling safety doesn't mean much considering the alternatives.

He's definitely not one of the better tackling safeties in the NFL. Maybe he's amongst the top in trying to make big/hard hits but way too frequently he takes a bad angle at the ball carrier or tries to just hit instead of wrap and bring down. Very much like Meriweather in that regard.


I'm not so sure we're seeing the same. Chung is one of the best wrap up tacklers I've seen over the last few years from a DB. He goes for the occasional big hit, but I've seen him come up, get low and wrap up many times. The Meriweather comparison is laughable. Meriweather will never be the tackler Chung is.
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12508
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Opposing QBs v. Patriots
Code:

            CMP  ATT  PCT  YARDS  Y/A   TD    INT   RTG
-------------------------------------------------------
Weeks 1-7   169  260  65.0  1933  7.43   16    7   96.52
Weeks 8-14  137  223  61.4  1649  7.39    6    8   78.11


Dennard was first active in week 5; first start was week 7
McCourty was moved to safety in week 7
Talib was added to the active roster in week 11


To sum up: if you want a good pass defense, leave Patrick Chung handcuffed to the locker-room toilet.


I don't know why people keep saying this. Chung is still our best tackling Safety. He's one of the better tackling Safeties in the NFL. Gregory looks like a lost kid out there and it pisses me off knowing Chung isn't much worst. He may be a liability in coverage, but he's still great in run support and brings that attitude to the defense.


Chung being the team's best tackling safety doesn't mean much considering the alternatives.

He's definitely not one of the better tackling safeties in the NFL. Maybe he's amongst the top in trying to make big/hard hits but way too frequently he takes a bad angle at the ball carrier or tries to just hit instead of wrap and bring down. Very much like Meriweather in that regard.


I'm not so sure we're seeing the same. Chung is one of the best wrap up tacklers I've seen over the last few years from a DB. He goes for the occasional big hit, but I've seen him come up, get low and wrap up many times. The Meriweather comparison is laughable. Meriweather will never be the tackler Chung is.

This is Patrick Chung we're talking about, right? Because the way you describe his tackling, I thought maybe you were talking about Eugene Chung after a Hugh Millen interception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5554
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Opposing QBs v. Patriots
Code:

            CMP  ATT  PCT  YARDS  Y/A   TD    INT   RTG
-------------------------------------------------------
Weeks 1-7   169  260  65.0  1933  7.43   16    7   96.52
Weeks 8-14  137  223  61.4  1649  7.39    6    8   78.11


Dennard was first active in week 5; first start was week 7
McCourty was moved to safety in week 7
Talib was added to the active roster in week 11


To sum up: if you want a good pass defense, leave Patrick Chung handcuffed to the locker-room toilet.


I don't know why people keep saying this. Chung is still our best tackling Safety. He's one of the better tackling Safeties in the NFL. Gregory looks like a lost kid out there and it pisses me off knowing Chung isn't much worst. He may be a liability in coverage, but he's still great in run support and brings that attitude to the defense.


Chung being the team's best tackling safety doesn't mean much considering the alternatives.

He's definitely not one of the better tackling safeties in the NFL. Maybe he's amongst the top in trying to make big/hard hits but way too frequently he takes a bad angle at the ball carrier or tries to just hit instead of wrap and bring down. Very much like Meriweather in that regard.


I'm not so sure we're seeing the same. Chung is one of the best wrap up tacklers I've seen over the last few years from a DB. He goes for the occasional big hit, but I've seen him come up, get low and wrap up many times. The Meriweather comparison is laughable. Meriweather will never be the tackler Chung is.

This is Patrick Chung we're talking about, right? Because the way you describe his tackling, I thought maybe you were talking about Eugene Chung after a Hugh Millen interception.


Pat Chung. He's a huge liability in coverage at this point. But no doubt, he's been a great tackling Safety in this league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btA7uL-3LIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ceD5WpP3AI

You should probably mute this to enjoy it more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF5qh6yGvZM
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
49ersfan2152


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 751
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I gotta no do you guys think he is gonna stay at FS? Does Chung come back an play SS? Does Tavon Wilson play SS?

Loved the way the Pats played the other day an I was saying how thats the best iv seen them play in years. They clicked an there D is really coming togethar. Excited to play you guys. I will always wish the Pats the best an follow them, except when its the 49ers they are playing.

Going to the game gonna be weird being at a hometown teams stadium an not rooting for them, never been to a FB game before because I aint a Pats fan but live in New England, 9ers are here so I had to go.
_________________


gridiorngreat thnk you for the sig

Favorite Teams
Redsox, 49ers, Celtics, Uconn BB, Bruins, LSU FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 48468
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chung is probably going to only be pressed into service again if one of the 3 guys ahead of him gets hurt. He's gone after this season.

No idea what Wilson's future holds. He's looked pretty bad as a rookie, but we knew he was a project from the moment he was drafted. I'd love to see the Pats pursue a Jairus Byrd or William Moore to pair with McCourty, but we'll see if the FO thinks that's a worthy allocation of resources.
_________________

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group