Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL to consider expanding the playoffs to 14 or 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL has the best playoff format in all of sports, now teams not deserving of making the playoffs will make it, and its the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Birdwatch: Mychal Kendricks
TCK:10 TFL:1 SCK:0 INT:0 FF:0 FR:1
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The playoffs have worked fine at 12 teams for years now so need in switching to 14 or 16 teams.
streetlight3989

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
I get it's about money. It's just crappy matchups. That 7-9 Seahawk team should've never hosted a wild card game. That's the result we'll get. You shouldn't be awarded for mediocrity.

That 7-9 Seahawks team beat the team everyone thought had an easy game....

This is true and I had no problem with them being in the playoffs that year, they won the division. Divisions and division rivalries set the NFL apart from other sports. I hope they never take that away.

However I highly doubt the Seahawks win that game if it was in the Superdome. Quest Field arguably gives the Seahawks the biggest home field advantage in the NFL. Should they really have gotten to play there with their mediocre record?

Basically I think that Divisions should be kept and that Division winners should make the playoffs, but I think the team with the better record should play the home game to reward for winning more games. (Oh, and expanding the playoffs to 14 or 16 games would make the NFL 10x less interesting.)
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be okay with a 14 team playoff only if there was a 2-team expansion.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Jeez 16 teams. Brings to meaning to playoffs, they really dont mean anything. I think its ideal the way it is. 4 division champs / 2 wild cards. I dont mind change, but not this.

Agreed. This is one place where the NFL has it down as right as they can. Maybe some seeding issues, or issues with bad division winners taking a spot from a better team in a division that has been won by someone else 2008 Pats come to mind) but net/net, it's better than any other league.

Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

It's about time...and it IS broke. We already have undeserving teams make it once in a while, but more often we have completely deserving teams that don't make it...sometimes with records just as good as the 6th seed or better than a division winner...not to mention, we often have WC SB winners. You can also TIE for your division title and NOT make the playoffs..ludicrous.

The bye many times seems to hurt that team as much as help them. Don't you hate it when your team is just as good as the 5/6 seed but dont' make it. It also makes the season more interesting longer for more teams.

Also consider the NBA/MLB have 82/162 games to separate themselves from one another...the NFL only has 16 and hundreds of injuries, and along with the scheduling differences make it very difficult to determine who the best/most deserving teams are in such a short amount of time. If any sport should have half the league make the playoffs, it's the NFL.

There really is no downside.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again the pompous Goodell wants to put his stamp on NFL history by making another absurd change to the game. His ego is beyond massive.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Jeez 16 teams. Brings to meaning to playoffs, they really dont mean anything. I think its ideal the way it is. 4 division champs / 2 wild cards. I dont mind change, but not this.

Agreed. This is one place where the NFL has it down as right as they can. Maybe some seeding issues, or issues with bad division winners taking a spot from a better team in a division that has been won by someone else 2008 Pats come to mind) but net/net, it's better than any other league.

It's about time...and it IS broke. We already have undeserving teams make it once in a while, but more often we have completely deserving teams that don't make it...sometimes with records just as good as the 6th seed or better than a division winner...not to mention, we often have WC SB winners. You can also TIE for your division title and NOT make the playoffs..ludicrous.

The bye many times seems to hurt that team as much as help them. Don't you hate it when your team is just as good as the 5/6 seed but dont' make it. It also makes the season more interesting longer for more teams.

Also consider the NBA/MLB have 82/162 games to separate themselves from one another...the NFL only has 16 and hundreds of injuries, and along with the scheduling differences make it very difficult to determine who the best/most deserving teams are in such a short amount of time. If any sport should have half the league make the playoffs, it's the NFL.

More undeserving teams would make the playoffs if it were extended. There are teams in the AFC with a losing record still in the hunt for that last playoff spot. How does that make the sport any better? If you can't get in the playoffs the way it's currently set up now then simply you don't deserve it. The NFL doesn't need a watered down playoff format with the addition of mediocre teams.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you need to realize that these ideas don't just spring up in Roger's head.

He works for the owners. He listens to the competition committee.

He makes comments on ideas that have been brought up.

The owners want an 18 game schedule to make more money.

The owners want expanded playoffs to make more money.

Roger isn't trying to "PUT HIS STAMP" on anything. He is doing what the people who employee him want him to do.

This Goodell hate is ridiculous. Most of it from fans of teams that think Roger has slighted. AKA Saints, Pats, Lions, Steelers fans. I'm sure i'm missing some.

I work at a bank. Do I think it's a great idea to give a credit card with a 15K limit to a 19 year old? HELL NO

However, I have a job to do and a goal to reach. If we approve that kid for it, and I don't sell it to him, I look bad.

You do and say, what you have to do and say in order to stay where you are at.

Goodell doesn't have a big [inappropriate/removed] dry erase board in his basement titled "How to **** with the NFL and it's fans"

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Some of you need to realize that these ideas don't just spring up in Roger's head.

Roger isn't trying to "PUT HIS STAMP" on anything. He is doing what the people who employee him want him to do.

This Goodell hate is ridiculous. Most of it from fans of teams that think Roger has slighted. AKA Saints, Pats, Lions, Steelers fans. I'm sure i'm missing some.

I work at a bank. Do I think it's a great idea to give a credit card with a 15K limit to a 19 year old? HELL NO

However, I have a job to do and a goal to reach. If we approve that kid for it, and I don't sell it to him, I look bad.

Goodell doesn't have a big [inappropriate/removed] dry erase board in his basement titled "How to **** with the NFL and it's fans"

You are generally right, but wrong about this point. It was reported on ESPN that this idea actually came from Roger Goodell. The other kickoff idea didn't, but this WAS from his mind.

Thanks, Tzimisce
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

You are generally right, but wrong about this point. It was reported on ESPN that this idea actually came from Roger Goodell. The other kickoff idea didn't, but this WAS from his mind.

ESPN
Quote:
Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday at the NFL's owners meetings that the league would spend the next few months exploring playoff expansion.

"Of course, something that we discussed in the past is expanded playoffs. That is something that we teed up (at the meeting Wednesday)," he said. "We will probably be looking at it with the committee over the next several months. Right now, we are at 12 teams, obviously. We will look at probably 14 or 16. The committee will be looking at that."

In the current format, adopted in 2002 after the NFL added the Houston Texans and realigned the league into eight four-team divisions, 12 teams make the playoffs -- eight division champions and two wild cards in each conference.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8743130/nfl-discuss-expanding-playoff-field-roger-goodell-says

They may have said something else on SportsCenter or something, but this article make it sound like it was an idea brought up by a group and it was now being discussed.

steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
I get it's about money. It's just crappy matchups. That 7-9 Seahawk team should've never hosted a wild card game. That's the result we'll get. You shouldn't be awarded for mediocrity.

Would they have won if they had to play in NO? Thats the question.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Would they have won if they had to play in NO? Thats the question.

Definitely impossible to know, though they whooped them in the trenches and that was a major reason for that win.

sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Yes there is a downside. The downside being the NFL regular season turning into the NBA or NHL regular seasons, something that just kind of goes on until 50+% of the league is in the playoffs.

To your point about deserving teams not making the playoffs, I'm not sure I understand. If a team is tied for their division lead, but doesn't have a good enough record to get one of 2 WC spots, I don't really see them as deserving. It's very rare for a 11-5 team to be left out of the playoffs, and the risk of opening the floodgates for mediocrity in the playoffs just isn't worth it. If you want to be guarenteed a spot, then win your division. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Yes there is a downside. The downside being the NFL regular season turning into the NBA or NHL regular seasons, something that just kind of goes on until 50+% of the league is in the playoffs.

To your point about deserving teams not making the playoffs, I'm not sure I understand. If a team is tied for their division lead, but doesn't have a good enough record to get one of 2 WC spots, I don't really see them as deserving. It's very rare for a 11-5 team to be left out of the playoffs, and the risk of opening the floodgates for mediocrity in the playoffs just isn't worth it. If you want to be guarenteed a spot, then win your division. Simple as that.

Why do people keep saying this, it is so far from the truth. NBA season and NHL seasons seem long cause they are long. not because of their playoff format. There would still be a number of good and important games towards the end of every NFL season like there is now, just more teams involved.
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speechless right now.....It's stupid to reward the mediocrity

I hate so much Goodell, who not stopped to want to change the game

I'm glad that many begin to realize that Goodell is an idiot and he thinks only about money

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: