Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL to consider expanding the playoffs to 14 or 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Mason Storm wrote:
Do u want a 6-10 team in the playoffs I dont

What if that 6-10 is actually better than record indicates?

Saints will likely go 6-10 at this point. Without this debacle that happened this year; they likely go 10-6 at least.

We had a 7-9 Seahawks in, and they beat the defending champs; and convincingly, I might add.

Well...any team can get some momentum and beat a better team. The whole point of the regular season is to reward consistently good teams with a chance to be crowned champions. If you let in several teams worse than .500 you may as well just scrap the league and have a straight random draw knock-out tournament.

2013 Adopt-a-Pat:Tom Brady, Quarterback
Stats: 257-430-2896 17TDs 7INT
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea is just absurd. I'm tired of these sports that reward mediocrity by giving a team a postseason to play for redemption. Can we just form a coup and run Goodell out of office yet? What a joke. To me, there is no playoff suspense at the end of the year when you have a bunch of 7-9 teams for that final spot. If it's a 9-7 or 10-6 team, you might actually take that team seriously. No, I don't care that a Seahawks team a couple years ago made a playoff upset or two. Even if a 6-10 team in the future makes the playoffs and wins a game or two, that doesn't justify that team making the playoffs. Just my preference, and everyone has their own opinion, but I think it sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it ain't broke....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people act like 2 more playoff teams will get 6-10 teams in the playoffs? It wouldn't happen.

If there had been 14 playoff teams since 2003, not one team with a losing record would have gotten in.

If there had been 16 playoff teams since 2003, 1 team with a losing record (7-9) would have gotten in.

Let's not exaggerate people. I think it's a bad idea as well, but it's not like 6-10 teams will be getting in. I would not be pissed with a 14 team playoff, because that would allow these 10-6 and 11-5 teams to get in. 16 playoff teams would be awful, gobs of 8-8 teams would get in.

Regardless, if it ain't broke don't fix it... Keep it like it is.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
This idea is just absurd. I'm tired of these sports that reward mediocrity by giving a team a postseason to play for redemption. Can we just form a coup and run Goodell out of office yet? What a joke. To me, there is no playoff suspense at the end of the year when you have a bunch of 7-9 teams for that final spot. If it's a 9-7 or 10-6 team, you might actually take that team seriously. No, I don't care that a Seahawks team a couple years ago made a playoff upset or two. Even if a 6-10 team in the future makes the playoffs and wins a game or two, that doesn't justify that team making the playoffs. Just my preference, and everyone has their own opinion, but I think it sucks.
Good idea. Then the owners can hire the next person who'll make the exact same suggestion because the owners think there's more money in it for them.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for some context, over the past few years, the teams with the worst record to make the playoffs were the:

2008 San Diego Chargers
2010 Seattle Seahawks
2011 Denver Broncos.

They all have two things in common Wink

Last edited by Tom Shean on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
Good idea. Then the owners can hire the next person who'll make the exact same suggestion because the owners think there's more money in it for them.

Shhhhh....

You can't try and use logic here.

#JDI
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get some 8-8 teams in the playoff baby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
Mason Storm wrote:
Do u want a 6-10 team in the playoffs I dont

What if that 6-10 is actually better than record indicates?

Saints will likely go 6-10 at this point. Without this debacle that happened this year; they likely go 10-6 at least.

We had a 7-9 Seahawks in, and they beat the defending champs; and convincingly, I might add.

Well...any team can get some momentum and beat a better team. The whole point of the regular season is to reward consistently good teams with a chance to be crowned champions. If you let in several teams worse than .500 you may as well just scrap the league and have a straight random draw knock-out tournament.

Yup, you get a chance. But nothing is guaranteed. Ask the packers
Plush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Let's get some 8-8 teams in the playoff baby

Everyone would complain....until their team finished 8-8 Laughing
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
If there had been 16 playoff teams since 2003, 1 team with a losing record (7-9) would have gotten in.

But 14 teams at 8-8 would've gotten in.

YUCK.

8-8 teams do NOT deserve a shot to compete for the Lombardi trophy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:

YUCK.

To be fair, the Chargers, Seahawks, and Broncos all won a playoff game with a record of 8-8 or worse.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I love everything about the NFL's 32-team, 16-game season, 12-team playoff seeding. Please don't change that... ever.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:

YUCK.

That's what I said, I just wasn't as specific. I would be wary of letting so many of them in, I agree. 8-8 isn't good enough if you ask most fans.

If you ask people who want to make money (owners), all they see is more games = more TV revenue. I think it could backfire as the spectacle of each game will be watered down.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:

YUCK.

That's what I said, I just wasn't as specific. I would be wary of letting so many of them in, I agree. 8-8 isn't good enough if you ask most fans.

If you ask people who want to make money (owners), all they see is more games = more TV revenue. I think it could backfire as the spectacle of each game will be watered down.

Eh... unfortunately, I think the owners may be right... I don't see how 16-game playoffs would "water down" the audience. I would still watch every playoff game, as would most football fans, and the fans of the teams in the playoff game would certainly watch it.

From a money making standpoint I see the owners making more money if there are more playoff games.

Nacho Simulation Football League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: