Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL to consider expanding the playoffs to 14 or 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:

....no it's not. Its far less likely. A good team suffering a season ruining injury in a mis-matched, ill-conceived game with the 16th best team in the league is perfectly feasible. I would be shocked if it didn't happen in the first 3 years of this plan being implemented (if it ever is).

Well if that's true, it should be easy for you to find at least 3 examples of this occurring in the last decade.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Plush wrote:
I believe it may be statistically impossible for a 6 win team to be in the top 8 in a conference
well that's just not true at all.

You could have a 1-win team win a division.
Unless they tied a whole bunch with their divisional opponents, I do not believe so.

right, they'd have to tie all of their division games Very Happy

You could get all the teams to split with each other and lose the rest and have a 3-win team as division champ.
Plush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Plush wrote:
I believe it may be statistically impossible for a 6 win team to be in the top 8 in a conference

1st. If you were to win a division...you wouldn be the 8th seed

2nd. Rethink your math. You can't win a division out-right with any less than 4
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plush wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Plush wrote:

Everyone in the division can tie all of their games.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plush wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Plush wrote:

1. Nobody said they would be the 8th seed.
2. My math is accurate. Check your's.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConvenientTruth wrote:
Some poignant stuff

You! You need to come around this forum more often. I hereby decree it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Jeez 16 teams. Brings to meaning to playoffs, they really dont mean anything. I think its ideal the way it is. 4 division champs / 2 wild cards. I dont mind change, but not this.

Agreed. This is one place where the NFL has it down as right as they can. Maybe some seeding issues, or issues with bad division winners taking a spot from a better team in a division that has been won by someone else 2008 Pats come to mind) but net/net, it's better than any other league.

Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

It's about time...and it IS broke. We already have undeserving teams make it once in a while, but more often we have completely deserving teams that don't make it...sometimes with records just as good as the 6th seed or better than a division winner...not to mention, we often have WC SB winners. You can also TIE for your division title and NOT make the playoffs..ludicrous.

The bye many times seems to hurt that team as much as help them. Don't you hate it when your team is just as good as the 5/6 seed but dont' make it. It also makes the season more interesting longer for more teams.

Also consider the NBA/MLB have 82/162 games to separate themselves from one another...the NFL only has 16 and hundreds of injuries, and along with the scheduling differences make it very difficult to determine who the best/most deserving teams are in such a short amount of time. If any sport should have half the league make the playoffs, it's the NFL.

There really is no downside.

More undeserving teams would make the playoffs if it were extended. There are teams in the AFC with a losing record still in the hunt for that last playoff spot. How does that make the sport any better? If you can't get in the playoffs the way it's currently set up now then simply you don't deserve it. The NFL doesn't need a watered down playoff format with the addition of mediocre teams.

It don't matter, they'll lose and be out which is much better than leaving out deserving teams.

If the AFC was like this every year, I would agree with you, but this is an anomaly....there usually aren't teams this bad in contention.There is no watering down, there are 4 more games in the same amount of weeks...more football for everyone.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Jeez 16 teams. Brings to meaning to playoffs, they really dont mean anything. I think its ideal the way it is. 4 division champs / 2 wild cards. I dont mind change, but not this.

Agreed. This is one place where the NFL has it down as right as they can. Maybe some seeding issues, or issues with bad division winners taking a spot from a better team in a division that has been won by someone else 2008 Pats come to mind) but net/net, it's better than any other league.

Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

It's about time...and it IS broke. We already have undeserving teams make it once in a while, but more often we have completely deserving teams that don't make it...sometimes with records just as good as the 6th seed or better than a division winner...not to mention, we often have WC SB winners. You can also TIE for your division title and NOT make the playoffs..ludicrous.

The bye many times seems to hurt that team as much as help them. Don't you hate it when your team is just as good as the 5/6 seed but dont' make it. It also makes the season more interesting longer for more teams.

Also consider the NBA/MLB have 82/162 games to separate themselves from one another...the NFL only has 16 and hundreds of injuries, and along with the scheduling differences make it very difficult to determine who the best/most deserving teams are in such a short amount of time. If any sport should have half the league make the playoffs, it's the NFL.

There really is no downside.

Yes there is a downside. The downside being the NFL regular season turning into the NBA or NHL regular seasons, something that just kind of goes on until 50+% of the league is in the playoffs.

To your point about deserving teams not making the playoffs, I'm not sure I understand. If a team is tied for their division lead, but doesn't have a good enough record to get one of 2 WC spots, I don't really see them as deserving. It's very rare for a 11-5 team to be left out of the playoffs, and the risk of opening the floodgates for mediocrity in the playoffs just isn't worth it. If you want to be guarenteed a spot, then win your division. Simple as that.

This makes zero sense...do you think the NBA season would be boring if they only payed 16 games? The NFL regular season could never lose interest or become meaningless.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
mco65

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

....no it's not. Its far less likely. A good team suffering a season ruining injury in a mis-matched, ill-conceived game with the 16th best team in the league is perfectly feasible. I would be shocked if it didn't happen in the first 3 years of this plan being implemented (if it ever is).

Well if that's true, it should be easy for you to find at least 3 examples of this occurring in the last decade.

I remember Carson Palmer getting injured early in a playoff game vs the Steelers several years back. Sure it could happen but the risk is no greater than it happening in round 2 or 3 vs the wild card round.

The old adage is that injuries are apart of the game. Certainly you can eliminate the risk of injury by having few games but fewer games means less money and lets be honest.. not many NFL fans want the league to go back to a 12 game regular season and a 4 team playoff even though that would certainly eliminate a lot of injuries!

I think the upside of adding 4 more teams to the playoffs far outweighs the risk of injury. If removing the bye week for the top 2 seeds is an issue then simply put in a bye week and every team that makes the playoffs gets a bye and a chance to get healthy.. i like it, i really do.. more games.. more teams..
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

Gronk got hurt beating the snot out of Denver and that derailed NE's offense for the rest of the play-offs. That was less than a year ago.

Now players geting injured at unfortunate or crucial times (like the play-offs) is always going to happen: my point was that throwing in some bad/middle of the pack teams will only make it more likely, to no purpose.

Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!
mco65

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my point of view.. there is a purpose.. more games. And the reward of more games far out weigh the risks of injury. That is why they play 16 games instead of 12.. that's why there are currently 3 rounds of playoffs and NOT 1..

But alas, your POV and my POV are a fans perspective. I would love to hear what the players have to say about it..
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
lol @ half the league making the playoffs

Yeah, really. At least the NBA and NHL don't do it...

Oh wait....

Well, at least no champions in the NHL have entered as an #8 seed and won the cup...

Oh wait, that happened this year, too....

I see no problem in this. More meaningful football. Goodell actually has a good idea here. I'd enjoy more football!
Mason Storm

Location: Hmm fire Tomlin of course y didnt i think of that oh yea because thats stupid.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do u want a 6-10 team in the playoffs I dont

^ TommyC376 sig n avy^
"You know your a parent when you pay $120 for your kid to watch something live thats on tv for free"
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mason Storm wrote:
Do u want a 6-10 team in the playoffs I dont

What if that 6-10 is actually better than record indicates?

Saints will likely go 6-10 at this point. Without this debacle that happened this year; they likely go 10-6 at least.

We had a 7-9 Seahawks in, and they beat the defending champs; and convincingly, I might add.
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
I'm speechless right now.....It's stupid to reward the mediocrity

I hate so much Goodell, who not stopped to want to change the game

I'm glad that many begin to realize that Goodell is an idiot and he thinks only about money

Don't forget, Goodell is nothing more than a "face" for the owners.

NFL owners realize the value of having someone else say the unpopular things they're thinking. I'm sure Goodell's compensated quite well for his role. But the owners pay the guy for a reason, and being a shield for "the shield" is a big one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: