Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Dennison

-Worked with Cutler and Marshall in Denver.

-Has been the OC in Houston for 3 years.

-Would bring in zone blocking which would help Forte.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
C wrote:
As there will be a number of teams looking for a new HC this year, I'm wondering how deep the pool of suitable hires might be. Let's throw out some names. Some legitimate, others not so much.

Let's just get these two unlikely candidates out of the way.
John Gruden (he makes $4 million a year with ESPN and just signed a 5-yr extension)

Bill Cowher (comfortable at CBS; do we even want another defensive coach? No.)

Brainstorm
Bill O'Brien, former NE OC, 1st year HC at PSU (rumor: Eagles are interested in him) He isn't going to come here, forget it.

Charlie Weis, former NE OC, HC 5 years at ND, 1st year HC at KU No.

Andy Reid, definitely the cream of the crop. My problem with Reid his personal life is chaotic and he looks burned out. Maybe OC but IMO he'd benefit from a year away from the game. No. I don't want anyone who went all in for Vick.

Norv Turner, even if he was open to coming to Chicago, I wouldn't want him as a HC. OC, definitely! San Diego was stupid to fire Schottenheimer and hire him. Colossally stupid. I'll take Schot, though.

Josh Daniels, current NE OC (total 4 years in 2 stints), Broncos HC 1+ yrs (debacle) Oh, yeah we are going to bring him in with Jay here?

No NFL experience
Jeff Tedford, Oregon OC 4 years, 11 year HC at Cal

Chris Peterson, Boise State OC 5 years, HC 7 years

Mike Leach, 10 year HC at Texas Tech, 1st year at Washington State

Or, we just keep Lovie Smith.

The next question, where are the Bears in the pecking order?

The Cowboys are in a very similar situation as the Bears. If Garrett doesn't go really deep in the playoffs, he's gone. The Cowboys are young and loaded with talent. This job has to be at the top of the pecking order.

I'd say the Eagles HC job could be next. Good owner and talent on offense.

Next might be the Chargers. Despite his play the past 2 seasons, building an offense around Phillip Rivers may be more attractive than trying to deal with our OL issues and aging defense. A guy like Tedford might be inclined to stay in Cali.

I think we're probably ahead of the Jets and the rest with bigger problems than ours.

So, I've got Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, then Bears. The Eagles and Chargers have a huge advantage as they've probably already started making phone calls.

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass
O'Brien and Weis - at the top of the list and off the board.
Daniels - worthy of another chance, or too soon?
Leach, Peterson, and Tedford - all have had innovative offenses
Lovie Smith - wait until next year

What do you guys think? Any other names out there we would want to go after? Do those still on the board look better than Lovie?
You did not mention Patrino, the best of the unemployed coaches. Though I don't know how or if any of these coaches transition from college to pros. Generally not very well. We missed our chance to grab a coach who could have been a winner for the next ten years in Harbaugh because we were hanging on to Smith.
Did you really just suggest the worst pro coach, in the history of pro coaches?
What a ridiculous statement. He didn't stay long enough to earn that exalted title.

And I don't know if he would ever consider the pros again or vice versa. Maybe, like Holtz and Saban, he just didn't like it.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
C wrote:
As there will be a number of teams looking for a new HC this year, I'm wondering how deep the pool of suitable hires might be. Let's throw out some names. Some legitimate, others not so much.

John Gruden (he makes $4 million a year with ESPN and just signed a 5-yr extension)

Brainstorm
Bill O'Brien, former NE OC, 1st year HC at PSU (rumor: Eagles are interested in him) He isn't going to come here, forget it.

Andy Reid, definitely the cream of the crop. My problem with Reid his personal life is chaotic and he looks burned out. Maybe OC but IMO he'd benefit from a year away from the game. No. I don't want anyone who went all in for Vick.

Norv Turner, even if he was open to coming to Chicago, I wouldn't want him as a HC. OC, definitely! San Diego was stupid to fire Schottenheimer and hire him. Colossally stupid. I'll take Schot, though.

Josh Daniels, current NE OC (total 4 years in 2 stints), Broncos HC 1+ yrs (debacle) Oh, yeah we are going to bring him in with Jay here?

No NFL experience

The Cowboys are in a very similar situation as the Bears. If Garrett doesn't go really deep in the playoffs, he's gone. The Cowboys are young and loaded with talent. This job has to be at the top of the pecking order.

Next might be the Chargers. Despite his play the past 2 seasons, building an offense around Phillip Rivers may be more attractive than trying to deal with our OL issues and aging defense. A guy like Tedford might be inclined to stay in Cali.

I think we're probably ahead of the Jets and the rest with bigger problems than ours.

So, I've got Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, then Bears. The Eagles and Chargers have a huge advantage as they've probably already started making phone calls.

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass

What do you guys think? Any other names out there we would want to go after? Do those still on the board look better than Lovie?
You did not mention Patrino, the best of the unemployed coaches. Though I don't know how or if any of these coaches transition from college to pros. Generally not very well. We missed our chance to grab a coach who could have been a winner for the next ten years in Harbaugh because we were hanging on to Smith.
What a ridiculous statement. He didn't stay long enough to earn that exalted title.

And I don't know if he would ever consider the pros again or vice versa. Maybe, like Holtz and Saban, he just didn't like it.
He walked out on his team immediately following a MNF game w/o warning and showed up just a few short hours after that MNF loss in Arkansas saying woo pig suey!!! He is unquestionably the worst pro coach in history.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
C wrote:

Brainstorm

No NFL experience

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass

He walked out on his team immediately following a MNF game w/o warning and showed up just a few short hours after that MNF loss in Arkansas saying woo pig suey!!! He is unquestionably the worst pro coach in history.

I agree he was a total scumbag in that case and Petrino will NEVER coach in the NFL again.

Rick Dennison
Mike McCoy
Jay Gruden

That is a nice list of successful NFL offensive minds.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

But he coached at Arkansas so he must be good Laughing
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

No, he didn't coach long enough to prove he was the worst apparently, even though he would never be accepted in an NFL lockerroom ever again b/c of the stunt he pulled.

IronMike84

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:

Petrino tanked jobs in the NFL and the SEC because he's a scumbag. Nobody will ever hire him again to coach a pro team, nor will they feel bad for him.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
C wrote:

Brainstorm

No NFL experience

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass

Only if you confine title that to morally. I don't condone that behavior but it does not change the fact that he is an excellent coach.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Typically Arkansas hires excellent coaches so he was not unusual. The school could not keep its head above water without excellent coaches.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Typically Arkansas hires excellent coaches so he was not unusual. The school could not keep its head above water without excellent coaches.
Really, you don't think it has anything to do w/ the massive amount of WalMart money being flooded in? The school, just like Oregon has its own personal guardian angel in the form of a billion dollar company as its primary donor. Seriously if you think Petrino is anything other than garbage as a procoach, you don't know pro football.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Superman that Petrino has NO credibility with NFL players after he bolted mid season to take another job in college.

We need to look at up and coming OCs.

Rick Dennison
Jay Gruden
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Really, you don't think it has anything to do w/ the massive amount of WalMart money being flooded in? The school, just like Oregon has its own personal guardian angel in the form of a billion dollar company as its primary donor. Seriously if you think Petrino is anything other than garbage as a procoach, you don't know pro football.

Sup…you aren’t going to convince Al that Arkansas or anything to do with Arkansas isn’t the best there is...it's like you and Iowa Wink Laughing
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not really want to go to the college ranks unless we try a guy like David Shaw, Stanford, and hope to catch some Harbaugh magic.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Sup…you aren’t going to convince Al that Arkansas or anything to do with Arkansas isn’t the best there is...it's like you and Iowa Wink Laughing
Iowa sux! I stopped watching after we were down to our 7th string RB and Greg Davis couldn't figure out how to get the ball in the hands of CJ Fiedoriwicz.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Iowa sux! I stopped watching after we were down to our 7th string RB and Greg Davis couldn't figure out how to get the ball in the hands of CJ Fiedoriwicz.

You will go back soon Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: