Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From NFL.com a few weeks back. They listed the following as hot names in the coaching circle for 2013.

Chip Kelly - Head Coach, University of Oregon (I like this one the best)
Kyle Shanahan - Washington Redskins O-coordinator (A little young but...could be a very good hire)
Mike McCoy - Denver Broncos O-coordinator (Has shown to be successful and flexible in his approach which is welcoming)
Perry Fewell - NY Giants D-coordinator (No thanks to another one of Lovie's cronies)
Brad Seely - San Francisco 49ers Special Teams Coordinator (Meh? Would rather them consider Dave Toub if they're going to go the ST coordinator route)
Ray Horton - Arizona Cardinals D-coordinator (Interesting name but I prefer an offensive guy this time around)
Bill O'Brien - Head Coach, Penn State (Highly unlikely)

There's a lot more out there. Bottom line is IF Lovie were to get the axe I'd want Phil Emery to hire a fresh face/up and comer and not some old retread coach who may have been successful in the past. This is a new NFL that is constantly evolving. This team needs new, fresh ideas but also someone who is well respected and can lay the hammer down when needed.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike may have had the best suggestion to replace Lovie in Rick Dennison.
C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I was concerned that we would wind up settling for Lovie or another "defense first" HC. Lots of really good candidates from all of your lists.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

C wrote:
As there will be a number of teams looking for a new HC this year, I'm wondering how deep the pool of suitable hires might be. Let's throw out some names. Some legitimate, others not so much.

Let's just get these two unlikely candidates out of the way.
John Gruden (he makes $4 million a year with ESPN and just signed a 5-yr extension)

Bill Cowher (comfortable at CBS; do we even want another defensive coach? No.)

Brainstorm
Bill O'Brien, former NE OC, 1st year HC at PSU (rumor: Eagles are interested in him) He isn't going to come here, forget it.

Charlie Weis, former NE OC, HC 5 years at ND, 1st year HC at KU No.

Andy Reid, definitely the cream of the crop. My problem with Reid his personal life is chaotic and he looks burned out. Maybe OC but IMO he'd benefit from a year away from the game. No. I don't want anyone who went all in for Vick.

Norv Turner, even if he was open to coming to Chicago, I wouldn't want him as a HC. OC, definitely! San Diego was stupid to fire Schottenheimer and hire him. Colossally stupid. I'll take Schot, though.

Josh Daniels, current NE OC (total 4 years in 2 stints), Broncos HC 1+ yrs (debacle) Oh, yeah we are going to bring him in with Jay here?

No NFL experience
Jeff Tedford, Oregon OC 4 years, 11 year HC at Cal

Chris Peterson, Boise State OC 5 years, HC 7 years

Mike Leach, 10 year HC at Texas Tech, 1st year at Washington State

Or, we just keep Lovie Smith.

The next question, where are the Bears in the pecking order?

The Cowboys are in a very similar situation as the Bears. If Garrett doesn't go really deep in the playoffs, he's gone. The Cowboys are young and loaded with talent. This job has to be at the top of the pecking order.

I'd say the Eagles HC job could be next. Good owner and talent on offense.

Next might be the Chargers. Despite his play the past 2 seasons, building an offense around Phillip Rivers may be more attractive than trying to deal with our OL issues and aging defense. A guy like Tedford might be inclined to stay in Cali.

I think we're probably ahead of the Jets and the rest with bigger problems than ours.

So, I've got Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, then Bears. The Eagles and Chargers have a huge advantage as they've probably already started making phone calls.

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass
O'Brien and Weis - at the top of the list and off the board.
Daniels - worthy of another chance, or too soon?
Leach, Peterson, and Tedford - all have had innovative offenses
Lovie Smith - wait until next year

What do you guys think? Any other names out there we would want to go after? Do those still on the board look better than Lovie?
You did not mention Patrino, the best of the unemployed coaches. Though I don't know how or if any of these coaches transition from college to pros. Generally not very well. We missed our chance to grab a coach who could have been a winner for the next ten years in Harbaugh because we were hanging on to Smith.

Last edited by ChicagoAl on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
C wrote:
As there will be a number of teams looking for a new HC this year, I'm wondering how deep the pool of suitable hires might be. Let's throw out some names. Some legitimate, others not so much.

John Gruden (he makes $4 million a year with ESPN and just signed a 5-yr extension)

Brainstorm
Bill O'Brien, former NE OC, 1st year HC at PSU (rumor: Eagles are interested in him) He isn't going to come here, forget it.

Andy Reid, definitely the cream of the crop. My problem with Reid his personal life is chaotic and he looks burned out. Maybe OC but IMO he'd benefit from a year away from the game. No

Norv Turner, even if he was open to coming to Chicago, I wouldn't want him as a HC. OC, definitely! San Diego was stupid to fire Schottenheimer and hire him. Colossally stupid. I'll take Schot, though.

Josh Daniels, current NE OC (total 4 years in 2 stints), Broncos HC 1+ yrs (debacle) Oh, yeah we are going to bring him in with Jay here?

No NFL experience

The Cowboys are in a very similar situation as the Bears. If Garrett doesn't go really deep in the playoffs, he's gone. The Cowboys are young and loaded with talent. This job has to be at the top of the pecking order.

Next might be the Chargers. Despite his play the past 2 seasons, building an offense around Phillip Rivers may be more attractive than trying to deal with our OL issues and aging defense. A guy like Tedford might be inclined to stay in Cali.

I think we're probably ahead of the Jets and the rest with bigger problems than ours.

So, I've got Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, then Bears. The Eagles and Chargers have a huge advantage as they've probably already started making phone calls.

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass

What do you guys think? Any other names out there we would want to go after? Do those still on the board look better than Lovie?
You did not mention Patrino, the best of the unemployed coaches. Though I don't know how or if any of these coaches transition from college to pros. Generally not very well. We missed our chance to grab a coach who could have been a winner for the next ten years in Harbaugh because we were hanging on to Smith.

Petrino signed with Western Kentucky either yesterday or the day before.

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
There isn’t an outstanding NFL assistant ready for an HC job on the Offensive side of the ball… You don't know this at all. NO ONE DOES but it is a good ploy to keep the hounds off Smith's butt.

Kyle Shanahan…really young and has always had either his dad or Kubiak to consult. He still would as Bears HC.

Pete Carmichael Jr…always had Sean Paton to consult and has never been anything more than quality control outside of the Saints organisation.

Josh McDaniels…who Cutler & Marshall would never work with.

Mike McCoy…only been really good since Payton arrived…was poor with Tebow but who wouldn’t be…who knows what you would get from him with Cutler.

I don't feel any of these guys with the exception of maybe Shanahan in 5 year's time stack up to Lovie.
Lovie is gone unless the Bears win the next three, so, he is gone. There are probably a good number of guys who would be better. It doesn't take much to not win only every other year and briefly make the playoffs on occasion.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
There isn’t an outstanding NFL assistant ready for an HC job on the Offensive side of the ball…

Kyle Shanahan…really young and has always had either his dad or Kubiak to consult.

Pete Carmichael Jr…always had Sean Paton to consult and has never been anything more than quality control outside of the Saints organisation.

Josh McDaniels…who Cutler & Marshall would never work with.

Mike McCoy…only been really good since Payton arrived…was poor with Tebow but who wouldn’t be…who knows what you would get from him with Cutler.

I don't feel any of these guys with the exception of maybe Shanahan in 5 year's time stack up to Lovie.

Mike McCoy adapted and ran a successful enough offence with TIM TEBOW and then adapted again and now runs a successful offense with Peyton Mannings. McCoy is a nice option becaus of his ability to ADAPT to his personnel and the teams need.

Pete CarMichael has called plays in New Orleans all of this season, without Sean Payton, and last year with his guidance. I would gladly look at someone off of the Sean Payton coaching tree who has learned from who I consider the best offensive mind in football. Sean Payton clearly likes and respects this guy.

McCoy didn’t run that successful an offence with Tebow as his starter…in 2011 they were 23rd in total yards…31st in passing & 25th in points scored…Manning is the guy making his name right now…

Carmichael is calling plays right now but in reality Brees has the final say in that offence…when Payton was suspended the NFL Network talked about how Brees & Payton game plan for the week and then Carmichael implemented it in practice…he’s not the brain trust there and more worryingly the Saints passed him over for Oline coach Aaron Kromer when Joe Vitt was also suspended.

McCoy won games with Tebow and led comebacks with the WORST QB in NFL history.

And we do not know what Carmichael exactly does for the Saints, but we do know he calls plays for a high powered offence.

And we cannot really say that a guy won't leave. This is the Chicago Bears, the charter franchise of the NFL people leave jobs for this job.

I’m sure in your offensive led mind Denver’s 13th rank D had nothing to do with those comeback wins Laughing

And we do know what Carmichael does…the NFL Network don’t pay guys for nothing…that was reported as soon as Payton was suspended and again if he was ready for a HC job why was he passed over for a guy who led them to a 1-6 start this season?...

Also I think you are overvaluing the Bears franchise…sure it is certainly one of the best organisations in sports but it’s not a once in a lifetime job…no job in sports is anymore.
Notre Dame still is, Alabama and the Yankees, even the Cardinals. The Celtics, the Canadians, probably even a soccer team - Manchester. You are right about the Bears though or Nick Saban would have been here.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

C wrote:

"Do we even want another defensive coach; no?" No offense, but that's one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard, for reasons that don't need explaining.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Quote:
Lovie Smith (54).....career 9-7 coach, playoffs 1 out of 5 years, 19-38 record against teams with a winning record, 15-19 in December.
But, but he is sooo great.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stunned that people aren't clamoring for Will Muschamp, simply because of how often he yells and screams.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
C wrote:

Brainstorm

Andy Reid, definitely the cream of the crop. My problem with Reid his personal life is chaotic and he looks burned out. Maybe OC but IMO he'd benefit from a year away from the game. No

No NFL experience

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass

Petrino signed with Western Kentucky either yesterday or the day before.
Are you kidding me? Just goes to show you just how dumb the Illinois program is. Hiring him would have been a no-brainer.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I'm stunned that people aren't clamoring for Will Muschamp, simply because of how often he yells and screams.
People just want someone who is not catatonic not necessarily a screamer. Someone who actually talks to his coaches and players during a game not just observe the unfolding disasters.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Someone who actually talks to his coaches and players during a game not just observe the unfolding disasters.

Lovie has a headset with a wireless beltpack on during the game. This isn't 1946 where the head coach had to walk up to people to talk to them.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
C wrote:

Brainstorm

Andy Reid, definitely the cream of the crop. My problem with Reid his personal life is chaotic and he looks burned out. Maybe OC but IMO he'd benefit from a year away from the game. No. I don't want anyone who went all in for Vick.

No NFL experience

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass

Did you really just suggest the worst pro coach, in the history of pro coaches?

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Someone who actually talks to his coaches and players during a game not just observe the unfolding disasters.

Lovie has a headset with a wireless beltpack on during the game. This isn't 1946 where the head coach had to walk up to people to talk to them.
I know he is listening to something but almost never see his mouth moving. Telepathy perhaps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: